Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Where Nobody Knows Your Name.

I'm sure we've all had it happen to us at sometime. You need to pop out to the local shop or supermarket for milk so you put your bare feet into your Uggh boots, throw a jacket on and perhaps a hat to hide your hair that hasn't been washed for a few days. No need to bother with painting your face, just popping out for milk.
Me
Them.
On entering the shop you either bump into someone you haven't seen for a while who happens to be done up with make up, hair done or you spend your time body swerving people so they don't think you look like this everyday. Am I the only one this happens to?

.
I had lived and worked in the same area for thirty six years,all my married life. Even a trip to the GP when I was feeling at my worst I felt I had to look halfway decent as I used to work there and a visit could mean seeing old work colleges or even the GPs I worked for. 
I can imagine the conversation,"Oh she's really let herself go since leaving work." when actually I have the flu or a chest infection and feel like crap.
I have now moved to the other side of the city and will be moving again when we find a house. No one knows me here, it's the opposite of the TV programme, "Cheers" where everybody knows your name.
I can pop out to the co-op for milk and bread in my joggys with no make up, hair not washed and know 100% I'm not going to meet anyone who knows me. 
I can visit my new local GP and dress how I feel without the fear of bumping into anyone I know.
The people who live here are quite friendly, they smile and say hello as you pass by. This is the kind of place where you are born, grow up, marry and buy a house in the same street. Most of the people here have lived here their whole lives and know when anyone new moves into the area.
What's strange is I was actually born in the local hospital here. In the fifties and sixties and possibly before that it was the maternity hospital for the east end of Glasgow even although it's nowhere near the east end. where my parents lived. It makes for a good conversation starter with the locals.
We all know that with sod's law I'll go down to the shops tomorrow and walk slap bang into someone I know!
I don't always go out unmanicured. When I go shopping in the nearest town I always look well groomed. I just don't make an effort popping out for milk.
When I move things might be different as I hope to be living there for a long time. After all I don't want to be known as the local bag lady.
Getting dressed up to borrow sugar.
I'm still sewing and I hope I'm improving. Here are my latest ones.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Practise square for quilting

A swan. I'm going to make another and sew some parts by hand.

Phone cover.


I love this stripey patchwork cushion. I gave the other side stripes too.

 And finally, look how my rose cutting is thriving


 That's all folks!




 

19 comments:

  1. I chuckled. Isn't that always the way? Of course in my case I have always kind of dressed like a slob....I'm all about comfort so I like my sweats and tshirts. Love your latest sewing projects! Well my stepdaughter was looking for a sewing machine and, never having once used mine, I gave it to her. I never learned how to use it, and I wracked my brain to truly think of any and all sewing projects that I might attempt to tackle. Since I couldn't think of any, I decided to finally part with it. At least now it's being put to good use. She picked it up on Friday night and by yesterday was already making things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't do that. It's not that I'm vain but I can't go out of the house without at least a little bit of make up... ok, so I'm vain!! Do hope you find a lovely house very soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never dress up to go into town, what you see is what you get. I'm a big fan of Capri pants and flip flops. Oh and a clip holding my hair (mostly grey on-top my head) I guess if I wasn't holding a cell phone and car keys they might think I'm a bag lady too!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a market in Chinatown, in Singapore, yesterday - a tallor stood in his doorway looking for punters. I'll make you a lovely dress, he said to me. I pointed to my skirt - which has been washed a few times but I've worn it almost every day for 6 weeks! He nodded, and smiled, and could see that elegance was beyond me! It is, oddly, liberating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good that it's being used. I think you do enough crafty stuff to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't wear make up unless I'm going further than local. I hope we find one soon too Ros but it's proving to be just as hard as selling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! Our weather is very rarely good enough to dress like that but when on holiday it's different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! Good story Jo. Hope you're still having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with this, Anne! And your projects are great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so me Anne! I used to work at our local primary school and I always think that people will think I've 'let myself go'. I would never set foot out of the house without straightening my hair, putting on mascara and lipstick! I'm just vain I think. It's a family joke that I could never go camping. Would be nice to live somewhere that people didn't know me though. I could go casual and wear dark glasses like a celeb!! Love your sewing projects, and so glad about the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes we've all experienced that Anne! Not good.

    Your sewing projects are brilliant, I love the swan! You've been going great guns haven't you. It's lovely seeing you're rose cutting thriving .

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a guy, I don't so much worry about the hair and makeup, but being absent minded makes up for it. I have left with two different shoes on, or mistakenly wearing my wife's "sexy lady" tshirt . . . . so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes guys have all the luck! I think you're wife might be worried that you're wearing her clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Kate,I'm really enjoying sewing. Can't progress to anything bigger as I don't have a table to cut on at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know just what you mean. Living here where no one knows me has its benefits. When we move to a permanent houseI'll have to make a good impression,lol. I'm loving sewing. Hope my rose continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always so scared of this happening when I go back to the town I grew up in!! With two kids in tow now, chances are if I run into someone I'll have spit up all down the front of my shirt and my hair will be one big rat's nest. Hasn't happened yet, but I too dread being compared to lil past me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anne - your projects are lovely! I think it is okay to go out without your makeup and not all kitted out. Sometimes life just gets ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. But in a couple of days, people start to recognize you and there's no escape again ;)

    Thanks for the laughs!Lovely projects too (love the swan!).

    Inviting you to share some posts with our Link Up Party - Idea Box:

    http://milaslittlethings.com/2015/04/idea-box-thursday-link-party-5.html

    xx

    Mila

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.