Monday, 19 January 2015

Saving the Rose.

Happy New Year to everyone. This is the first year I haven't written a Christmas or New Year post on my blog, life took over and my blogging fairy went on strike. I'm hoping she's flew back again so here goes.

 I told you I didn't have green fingers.

I have written twice about my rose bush in the garden and combined them here  I said that  dad was  sending a rose to me in late summer for fifteen years then when my granddaughter was born two roses bloomed and another one after my second granddaughter.
This year it bloomed with only one rose. We were preparing to move house and as the roots of the bush had grown under the fence it was impossible to dig up without killing the whole plant. I decided the reason only one rose bloomed was because my dad was telling me that it was okay to let go and move on, he wasn't sending any more roses.
I became unsatisfied with leaving the rose bush so I asked my friend Google, " How do I take cuttings from a rose bush?" 
The reply told me about rooting powder, removing every leaf and only leaving one at the top. I then saw a tip on a gardening forum informing on the use of honey instead of rooting powder. I'm up for saving a few pennies and as I had honey in the cupboard I gave it a go and took three cuttings.
A few months later this was my result.



One has grown leaves and the other two are fading away. I was so pleased I had at least one cutting that had flourished, but a few weeks later.




These are in the same position as the last photo. The one with the leaves started dying and a few days later I noticed the one on the right sprouting new leaves.  I'm so glad I decided to keep all three and keep watering them.  Life is strange, just as you're about to give up on something it surprises you and the one you counted on lets you down.  I imagine this is applies to people too. There are some with whom it wouldn't matter how much nurturing you give them they will let you down anyway. There are also some people for whom you think all
hope is lost but if you hang in there and keep hoping they just might surprise you.

 I will let you know how my plants are growing,who knows I might end up with three. If anyone with greener fingers than mine would like to pass on any tips for nurturing them they will be gratefully received. 




15 comments:

  1. Great to have you back Anne! I've missed you! Hope your move went well. Sadly I have a brown thumb when it comes to plants. But it looks like your roses might just make it. Can you plant them in the spring or will it take awhile yet in the pots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me Anne that they might be dormant. I know that most plants have a season, I betcha they'll bloom and grow in the spring with a bit of sunshine, some fresh fertilized soil and a good watering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to know if it was the honeyed one that seems to be rooting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would be interested to know which one was the honeyed root. I love your analogy with people. Sometimes you do have to hang in there with some people and they'll come good in the end. Hope all three cuttings make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks JoJo. I think I'll wait until they get bigger if they survive and plant them in bigger pits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you could be right Jen. I'm not going to dispose of the ones that haven't got leaves I'll just keep going until summer. They're at the widow so get the sun as it shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Anita. I don't have house plants as they always die,think it has a lot to do with central heating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All three were dipped in honey, I wasn't expecting any leaves at all until spring at least but wondered why one had lots of leaves and then lost them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All three were honeyed. When I think of the way the bush was sometimes cut away to nothing (with the lawnmower) and it always survived so maybe there's hope. Yes I know a few people who fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fingers crossed that at least one plant lives and blooms, honeyed or not, it would be lovely to take the sentiment to your new home. Lovely to read your blog again : ) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anne, glad one of your rose cuttings has taken. Its ages since I grew something, I used to get a lot of pleasure out of gardening, but then life seemed to go into overdrive and there was no time.
    Maybe this year, I'll try something again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anne, I'm do pleased your rose cutting seems to be cutting. It does go to show how you shouldn't give up things sometimes. It would be hard to of left with out any part of the rose bush, it meant so much. It will be lovely to continue it's life in your next home.

    I agree your analogy is good, I think your right.

    I think your blogging fairy has defintiely flown back and will look forward to more great posts ;) x just thought may be you can post about your new sewing adventures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gardening is so time consuming and repetitive. I'll be growing plants in pots when I get my new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Kate. I think one might survive. I think I might post about my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really hope I have at least one Amanda. The plant was also a gift for my 40 th birthday so it's quite old now,lol.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.