Monday, 15 September 2014

Moving Diaries - Adventures in selling a home.

 JUNE 2014

Last summer we decided we would sell our house, the house we had lived in for the past nineteen years.
Our children left home a few years ago and now it's time for us to do our own thing.
 We have decided to move to a place called Strathaven about a forty minute drive from where we live.
  We first thought of moving here years ago but the children didn't want to leave their school and their friends so we gave in and stayed where we were.
Strathaven is quite small with only local shops and a large Sainsburys. I don't drive so I want to live somewhere where I can walk to everything, shops, swimming, library, park etc. On top of all that Strathaven is extremely pretty and seems to have  good community participation in fund raising events and local clubs.
I wrote about it here

In readiness for putting our house for sale I start to de-clutter then I de-clutter again,and again. I paint every door in the house. I paint every skirting board (except the bit behind the settee and tv unit) I clean the house from top to bottom even the parts that don't usually see a cloth and bleach. Yes the house smells of bleach which is far better than it smelling of dog. I tell hubby that I'm calling the decorators in when we move to a new place as I never want to paint another door of skirting board again in my life.

The garden gets a makeover too. I now have the new path to the back gate that I have been asking for for nineteen years and a new patio behind the garage. We have a special place for the numerous re cycling bins and I don't have to walk through mud to get to them. I fill lots of large plant pots with brightly coloured plants and put a new hanging basket for the front door. The front step is renewed, tiles have been missing from it for as long as I can remember.
Three estate agents have been contacted and by the time the have finished promising  to sell our house quickly and efficiently I realise I am never going to get back the six hours of my life I spent listening to them.
We pick one to give our business to for no other reason other than we liked him. I now have two akward telelphone calls to  other two estate agents to tell them they didn't get the gig.  We have a home report to complete and a surveyor to pay.
The surveyor goes through the house with a fine tooth comb picking up on very minor faults and scoring us from 1 to 4 for each part of the house.
It takes two more weeks for the house to finally go on the market and appear on all the usual websites.
The hard work actually starts now, keeping the house like a shiny new pin for the  viewers who are going to traipse all through my house probably criticising it.
I take a look around the house and garden, it is now just like I always wanted it and I have to remind myself why we are selling....to have less house to clean, smaller garden to cope with in our old age, and to try something different.
This is just the beginning.


13 comments:

  1. All the best with sale and the move. I know what you mean about getting all the 'little' jobs done that have been pending for years :) Exciting times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a shame that you're selling when you've spent so much time on it! Looking forward to hearing more about your move. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, moving... I remember it well and not affectionately. Hope it all works out for you, but don't compromise on anything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a little piece of heaven and you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the move. Like the other comments, been there done that after living in our other house for 21years. But it will be worth it in the end. Good luck! (have missed you)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! It does seem a shame though to have got the house exactly how you want it now that you're going to leave it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's more of the story to come and I do hope it will be worth it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like compromise will be the name of the game Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah, Anne, are you sure you still want to sell it? It sounds as if you've finally got what you wanted! I hope you find the new home you want and that this time, everything goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.