Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Turkey Diaries 2013- Food Glorious Food!

We decide we're going out for breakfast this morning so we walk into the village to try out a place called The Blue Butterfly. It's just about last place on the way out of the village towards Hisaronu and up a steep flight of steps cut out from the hillside.
As we are nearing it we spot a Turkish lady across the road sitting at a table crocheting bracelets for the tourists who come to visit the ghost village. We wave over and say good morning as everyone does here and she answers back,"You're the Scottish people with white car staying at Mustafa's villa!" Its not really a question but more of a statement. It seems that in this small place everyone knows who you are. She beckons us over and I know I'm going to be buying a bracelet.
 I am startled by her near perfect English,she tells her accent comes from London,Birmingham, Liverpool and everywhere else in between as she has been taught by listening to visitors when she used to clean villas.
 She now owns the nearby shop, two cows in the field behind our villa and the nearest villa to us and she proceeds to tell us all about how lovely it is and what website to find it on if we want to return next year. She was really very nice but I did walk away having purchased two bracelets from her.
 In the following days when Jim goes to the village for bread in the morning or a shave at the barbers he often hears "Jim" shouted across to him, it's our friend the bracelet maker and villa entrepreneur, making us feel at home here.

morning view from the blue butterfly.

The Blue butterfly is run by a Moroccan man and his Turkish wife. When I say restaurant it's more like a covered garden attached to a house which is what we like about it,home cooking.
I just knew the food would be good and I was right, breakfast was amazing and enormous. Fried eggs,toast and cheese,goats cheese (3 kinds) olives,sausage,cheese pastries,two types of honey and jam and lots of home made bread. All cooked freshly as we chatted to the owner.
Restaurant is actually within ruins of ghost village

breakfast table heaving with food.

Mmmm!!!
We went back a few nights later for dinner and it didn't disappoint us either.
We were greeted by three little Jack Russell dogs, a mum and her pups and immediately my resolve not to have another dog has been broken and I would have taken either of the pups home with me without hesitation.
Our starter of mezes which  means mixed dishes was wonderful and slightly different from usual.There were two aubergine dishes which I love, a carrot dish and garlic dip along with cheese pastries and more bread. My main course was  kofta meatballs, full of flavour and hubby had steak with blue cheese sauce. A bottle of wine and a chat with the owners rounded off the evening. This is the part about Turkey we love, chatting to people and finding out about different cultures and ways of living. We would have paid at least twice as much for a meal like this in the UK.

Walk through village in the evening

A renovation project? Perhaps we could live here after all.

Very hard to get a photo,they wouldn't stay still.


Ghost village.
As we walk home through the village I am aware of the empty shells of the ghost village looking down on us. As we leave the village for our off road track it's time to switch on my trusty torch as the rest of the way as it's in complete darkness. I think of our very first night walking this road when I told Jim we would have to take the car every night as there was no way I was walking here in the dark again. Now I walk on bravely,well holding on tight to hubby's arm with no thoughts of of snakes or wild pigs. It's amazing what a few glasses of wine can do for you.















I realise that nearly all of this post has been about food so I promise to do better next week when I continue my Turkey Diaries.

13 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Anne. It isn't too much about food at all. I have a wonderful sense of how friendly the people are, and also how safe it must be there. The food does sound wonderful of course, but then so does everything else! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Val they are very friendly. There was one or two elderly peole who didn't respond to a nod and smile but when I said good morning or good evening in Turkish I saw their face light up. They must be bored with tourists. We have never felt unsafe anywhere we have been in Turkey even walking quite streets after dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The breakfast looks good but I'm afraid it wouldn't please Rod. To him it's not a proper holiday unless he can have a full English!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shouldn't have read this on an empty stomach!!!!! It sounds like you guys are having a great time! One of my best friends is in Turkey now, with a side trip to Prague. He lived in Ankara back in the 90s for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I should have eaten breakfast!!! Lovely mouth-watering post..the food looked scrumptious,and what super surroundings to enjoy it. Lucky you! More please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can always get a full English in Turkey especially next door in Hisaronu but that's for another post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh we could Jo especially hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to go to Prague thinking of it for a week end sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Carol,that restaurant cooked really lovely home made food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! I'm really enjoying reading about your holiday Anne. It brings back that warm atmosphere and reminds me of a very chilled holiday we had in Parga, Greece, that was a little "native", but very memorable. Looking forward to next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I'm hungry. And jealous! Looks like such a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Amanda,I really want to go to Parga it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.