Wednesday, 12 June 2013

A Lovely Little Town.

There's a lovely little conservation town called Strathaven (Straven) about 40mins drive from where I live.
On Saturday we went for a drive there and wondered why it was so busy, it was their gala day so I didn't get as many photos as I wanted but here are a few.

The park is just off the main road and beautiful
Another park,right in town,picnic anyone?

I'm going back to have coffee here.
The main street.Waiting for the procession.


 I think England has lots of lovely towns like this but there are not many near Glasgow.The nearest really nice towns I can think of are in Aberdeen, where I love,Inverurie and Banchory. Unless someone disagrees with me. I'm happy for them to do so.






                         

Balloon sellers and crowds gathering.




What I call my arty photo.
There's a miniature railway and a boating pond.

Another tea room


The park getting ready for the crowning of the gala queen.


There are lots of independant shops here,a cute baby shop and gift shop,a butchers and home bakery,so much nicer than having to shop in a large supermarket.
I didn't take any photos of the lovely floats that passed us, it was too busy and my photos would have been full of heads,so I did what Jo was telling us to do on her blog and that was,just look,no need to always take photos,so I put the camera back in my bag and just enjoyed the rest of the day. Hope you're proud of me Jo.
With it being Gala Day the town had a holiday atmosphere,pubs and cafes were all busy so we didn't get a proper feel for the place but..we'll be back!

22 comments:

  1. That is without doubt a lovely little town. I'm not surprised to hear you'll be visiting again. We do have lots of little towns in England but they're not all lovely. Many are old minng communities that are no longer functioning or industries that have been closed down. Or maybe that's just me looking through jaded eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, beautiful. Looks like the perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty and quaint!!!! I always meant to get back to the UK and never did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hugely proud of you, Anne - I'm glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would be Jo,I thought of you when I put my camera away and enjoyed the gala.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it's lovely. You can still visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Talli the sun was shinning too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recall holidays in Stonehaven when DD was young - that was nice too..and there were some lovely little spots going up the coast to Aberdeen...with wonderful sandy beaches too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I watch Location Location on TV there are always lovely towns and villages and they're all in England.I love small shops and we have Sainsburys and Matalan,Mcdonalds,Kentucky Fry all within walking distance and I'm fed up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does look like an English small town, so green and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It might look like one but it's Scottish through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some Aberdeeen towns are lovely,we nearly moved their once.If it wasn't that my family are here I would move to Inverurie or Banchory both in Aberdeen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are quite enough to give an impression of how pretty it is. I love the park and the water (predictable aren't I?) It looks as if you had a beautiful day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful village Anne! I wish we had an area that was as lovely and quaint as that near us, I'd never leave!!
    btw I got my laptop back FINALLY! Lots to catch up on...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks a great place to be about and about with a camera to me! What wonderful weather too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks and sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I've never been to Straven, but I think I'll have to aim to do so at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes Jenny one of our very few sunny days.I was there a few days ago and it was pouring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope it doesn't have the same mortality rate as that one Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's such a lovely place and has lots of special events during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes it was a sunny day ,will we see one again this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is lovelt It's about the only place like that we can find here without going way up north. Glad laptop is fixed looking forward to your holiday stories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is something about water that calms you down Val.You must be a very calm person with all that water around you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.