Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Sunbathed and Rested.

I'm back home again and another holiday has flown by so fast.I was only away for a week this time as this is an extra holiday we managed to squeeze in. Once again we visited Turkey,Icmeler this time around.
We have been to this resort five times now the first being in 2001 and we were there at the time of the 9/11 atrocity. It was a scary time for all of us there as we were in a Muslim country and we just didn't know what would happen.The resort that night was deadly quite as everyone tried to come to terms with what had just happened.The following morning most of the restaurants and bars had wreaths placed outside them to show respect for the victims.
A fighter jet plane flew over our heads very low in the sky and in nearby Marmaris the harbour area was blocked off and we could see a few warships docked there as if waiting for the word to go to war.
A few days later we flew home, the security at the airport had be heightened and we were not allowed to take any hand luggage on board the plane, not even a book,all we could take was our tickets,passport and money but we arrived home safely and that was all that mattered.We had a great holiday that year and although shocked and heartbroken at what had happened in New York it made everyone in the hotel talk to each other in fact it was all we talked about as we tried to find English speaking channels to listen to the latest news.

Fast forward twelve years and this was our fifth visit to Icmeler and I think it might be our last. Our hotel was lovely, it had recently been refurbished and the room had all new furniture and curtains. The resort was very quite which meant that so were the restaurants and bars and the roll on effect of that meant the Turkish waiters upped their game at trying to get you to eat in their establishment. I was so fed up with never being able to walk down a street at any time of day and night without being stopped to shouts of ,"Very nice couple,come and eat here" "We have good food just try it once" it went on and on.


Many of the shops wouldn't let you browse they wanted the hard sell,one of the reasons I never buy much in Turkey.We did find one clothes shop where the Turkish man had married a Scottish girl and we were free to look around his shop as long as we wanted and when we did need help he couldn't have been nicer, that was the shop we spent money in.
The food everywhere was mopre or less the same so it didn't really matter where you did end up eating.
We have a favourite restaurant called The Love Boat, the food there is lovely and presented beautifully on the plate but there was something which followed us around every eating place.
On every plate of food we had was this cucumber piece stuffed with lettuce.
I don't know if it was supposed to be eaten but we never did nor did we see anyone else eating one so
I suspect they were taken off one plate when returned to the kitchen and just put back on the next plate to be served,well waste not want not I suppose.
Icmeler has lovely views out to sea and at night a stroll along the front works off that big meal. It has always felt like a safe place to us we have never saw any kind of trouble but it's just a pity that the large All Inclusive hotels are taking trade away from the restaurants and I wonder how long they can keep holding on.
 Although we enjoyed our holiday we now feel we enjoying staying in more rural locations even better.
Maybe it's because we're getting older and more boring but I like real Turkish food when I go to Turkey I don't go there for burger and chips or lasagne. That's why we're going back in September to Kayakoy where we spent a week last year. We loved it there and had a car to explore the surrounding areas, if you missed my posts you can read them by clicking on Turkey Diaries at the top of this page.
Our hotel is on the right behind the statue.

18 comments:

  1. Sorry you weren't as into the town on this trip. That 'hard sell' is one of the reasons I despised Paris when I went on a high school trip in 1982. So many 'vendors' crowded around us with their wares yelling, 'BUY THIS AMERICAN TOURIST!' Every time that happened our chaperones made sure to check that we all still had our passports and money before leaving the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's this 'older and more boring?' No - knowing what you like has nothing to do with age. If you don't want to stay in somewhere that's lost it's magic - go exploring. There's a big world waiting to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely, Anne. I'm so pleased you had a good rest. You might know that Jo wouldn't go along with your 'older and more boring holidays' theory but I agree that we don't want loud music and screaming youngsters drowning out our nights when we're away these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a break -- and hopefully sun on your bones did you good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back safely!
    I can understand how annoying it must be to be pestered while you're away! I would prefer somewhere quiet too, I'm most definitely boring though lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks like a wonderful vacation. I hope to cross the ocean sometime in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it was lovely thanks Cathrina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's just their way to want to sell where as we like to be left alone. I don't believe you're boring Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny not many aches and pains in the sun but they're back again now in this changeable weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must have been a terrible time for you back in 2001. Airports etc. are horrid at the best of times, never mind then!
    I laughed out loud at your wee cucumber lettuce stalker, I've never seen that!
    Consider me old and boring too then, I'd much prefer the September holiday as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are used to it JoJo but some parts of Turkey namely the more touristy parts are worse than others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes we did come to that conclusion Jo. We've been to quite a few places in Turkey and what we enjoy now is different to what we enjoyed when we were younger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We always go out with school holidays so it is a bit quieter. I couldn't do what Jo does Im too much of a wimp and like my comforts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes it was awful then and very scary. The first night we had the cucumber thing on a plate I thought it was a good idea but eventually I was sick of the sight of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate it when these restaurant people ruin a lovely walk by begging you to eat with them! I'm old and boring - just give me a view, sun, sea and a seat. I'm sure you had a wonderful time : ))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes same here,and they're not content that you eat in their restaurant they want you in every night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Anne, glad you had a good holiday. Lovely pictures. Your not getting old and boring! Why people want to go abroad to eat English style food and be in a very English resort, I'll never understand. I prefer to go and see new cultures and discover new foods! Hope you feel well rested. I'm very excited, off to Lake Garda in just over a week! First time we've been abroad in years! are choice mainly as we opted for Devon! Think I'll be getting the travel bug again when I go to Italy though...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Kate ,Yes I want to eat Turkish food and in some resorts it's hjaqrd to find. We keep saying we're going to Lake Garda but when ou're used to prices for Turkey it's quite a jump. Will have to find out which part your going to.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.