Wednesday, 17 April 2013

A-Z Challenge of Being Fabulous and Fit Over 50.O is for Ommph!

Oomph!  I feel needs an exclamation mark after it as it's always spoken with gusto.
According to the Urban Dictionary it means,
1.An extra push.
2.An ingredient or factor that will make something better or perfect.
3.Energy, vitality, enthusiasm.
4.Sex appeal
I do know that many a teenager could do with some oomph to get them going in the morning but we put that down to growing pains or just being a teenager. When we're in our 50's,60's or 70's we too need that extra oomph sometimes to just see us through the day.

At times the effort to be glamorous and get ourselves ready for a night out is exhausting and secretly we might prefer to be in bed with a good book,we have to find that oomph from somewhere.
I say from time to time that,"My get up and go has got up and went." I think your get up and go is really your oomph and if that is missing, well it's all downhill from here.

Added oomph is what keeps us young, gives us the energy and enthusiasm we need to cope with jobs,children or grandchildren. So let's all dig deep and find some oomph! You know it makes sense.

I've just found out that the words I say are the lyrics to a song sung by Pete Seeger. It's from a poem and the author is anonymous.
                                                    


Get Up and Go


How do I know my youth has been spent:
Because my get-up-and-go, got up and went
But in spite of all that, I'm able to grin
When I think where my get-up-and-go has been

Old age is golden, I've heard it said,
But sometimes I wonder as I go to bed
My ears are in a drawer, my teeth in a cup,
My eyes on a table until I wake up

When I was young my slippers were red
I could kick my heels right over my head
When I grew older my slippers were blue
But I could still dance the whole night thru

Now that I am old my slippers are black
I walk to the corner and puff my way back
The reason I know my youth is spent
My get-up-and-go got up and went

I get up each morning dust off my wits
Pick up the paper and read the "orbits"
If my name is missing, I know I'm not dead
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed

                                                             ANON. 

 

Old age is no place for sissies

                                    - Bette Davis. 

                                  

       

                                            

                                            - 

 Where do you get your oomph?

26 comments:

  1. I love the word Oomph and I think if you give yourself that little bit of get up and go you feel so much better. Another good post I'm now going to have a bit of Oomph and get some jobs done. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the idea of grinning because we know where our get up and go has been. I shall hold that thought in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have these marvellous vitamin B tablets that give me oomph! They're from Holland And Barrett and called Busy B's, they're like huge horse pills and taste revolting but I really do feel more energised for taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously concerned for my 'Oomph!' already and I'm only 36! Great post again, Anne.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. My get up and go gets up much later these days, and needs strong tea before it has a hope of functioning. (Or a grandchild sitting on me - that can, on a good day, get me going!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over from Ros's blog - I've been one of her followers for some time - and I love yours too! Oomph? Most mornings I go for a walk - only 20 mins is enough with my arthritic hip but it get the blood and ideas flowing. Love the poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall be going to Holland & Barrett to get some of Donna's Oomph! tablets. I am lacking decidedly lacking in the Oomph! department. Lovely post (again) : ))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually say oomph when I get out of my chair! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ian,sometimes you have to dig down deep to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I won't ask you where yours has been then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's good you feel they're helping. If it wasn't pouring with rain and blowing a gale I'd jump on the bus right now and get some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no,there's not much hope for you then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know what's happened to mine today think it must be post grandchild syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks good to see you here. I really will have to start walking everyday but it will have to stop raining first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need some too. Thanks Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you have plenty of oomph! Carol and I bet your local council say that too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh boy, I am needing some Ommph! especially of late... Great post Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have post holiday lacking in OOMPH ! syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! Loved that poem! :)

    http://sheethalsusan89.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm at my most "oomphiest" when I exercise regularly, but I don't have the oomph to start it in the first place! If you find out how to get instant oomph, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I need to get me some of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great poem, very cute! As long as I sleep well I have oomph!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My "oomph" is found in my coffee pot when I have to be ready and alert first thing in the morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Catching up a bit...


    My parents always said the "get up and go" phrase, so I had to laugh. Love the poem.

    I could use more oomph. Guess it's time to dig deeper.

    Barbara
    P is for Putting First Things First
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.