Tuesday, 30 April 2013

A- Z Challenge.Staying Fabulous and Fit after 50. Z is for Zaftig and Zest.

After my W for weight post there was only one word for Z and that is
 Zaftig- Having a full shapely figure, pleasantly plump.
Hmm... I don't mind the first part but not too happy with the pleasantly plump description.




I lied, there's more than one word for Z my next one is,
Zest- enthusiasm, vigorous enjoyment. Va va voom.

 We can exercise everyday, eat healthy, take care of our skin and posture, do all the other 101 things we have to do to be fabulous and fit after 50  but if we don't have that zest for life none of it will do us any good.
As every year passes I'm more and more grateful to be here.

I was born Cystic Fibrosis which is the most commonly inherited disease in the UK as 1 in 25 of us are a carrier of the gene. CF affects the lungs and they fill up with sticky mucus,a breeding ground for germs resulting in repeated chest infections and breathing problems. If I am in your company and you have a sore throat or a cold then nine times out of ten I will end up with a chest infection.
 The pancreas can also be affected by CF making it difficult to digest food and absorb nutrients resulting in slow growth and poor weight gain. I am extremely lucky in that my pancreas doesn't seem to be affected in this way.

 Even though I was classed as "failure to thrive" as a baby and despite lots of hospital stays and chest infections I slipped through the net and didn't get my diagnoses until I was 28yr. A child with CF in the fifties wasn't expected to suvive infant years so I suppose the older I became the less likey they suspected what was wrong with me.
Today life expectancy for someone with CF is 41yrs ( I screwed that number up for them!)  but young children and teenagers are still losing their lives or suffering a life full of medication, physiotherapy and hospital stays. We are so close to finding a cure it's only money for research that is preventing it.
When I was finally diagnosed the shock was unbelievable but I  then received the proper care and attention which had been lacking since my birth, doctors started believing me when I was unwell and that's the reason I'm still here folks, real good care from the CF team at Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow and a lot of luck.

That is why I have a zest for life, I enjoy every minute of it even when I'm doing nothing very productive.
Sometimes life can be a bit of a struggle and after I have a particulary bad time and I think I'll never recover I have to pick myself up dust myself down and start all over again, with ZEST.


Zest is the secret of all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without zest.
Christian Dior
 
If you have zest and enthusiasm you attract zest and enthusiasm. Life does give back in kind.
Norman Vincent Peale

 I've did it! I've reached the end of The A-Z Challenge 2013. I couldn't have done it without the support and loyalty of my blog, facebook and twitter friends who have came back day after day to read my posts, thank you all so much, you all know who you are. I hope you have all taken my advice and are now Fabulous and Fit.
 As for new friends if you left a comment on my post and I haven't visited your blog it's because I couldn't find a link so if you're reading this please leave a link or your blog name in the comments, thanks. I hope you have enjoyed my ramblings .

 When I started this challenge I looked like

 Now after 26 posts I look like 


There's only one thing left for me to say....
That's all folks!



40 comments:

  1. Wow, you're an inspiration Anne! I'm feeling so humble. I moan and groan, and then there's you and Donna T just getting on with it and putting me to shame. On a happier note, I have thoroughly enjoyed your A - Zs, and am in awe of all you bloggers who took part. Well done : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. It told you it would be fun! I've picked up loads of inspiring tips from you during this month, not least being your zest for life!! But there's one thing I still want to know, where did you get these amazing cartoons from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Anne - and I hope you carry on proving them all wrong for decades!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Thats a cool end to the post :) Truly it was a maddening but happening month to me. and U REALLY HAVE zest for life. hats off to ur will power. congos on finishing challenge and good luck for every thing.

    dropping by from A to Z

    http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant finale! Well done.
    Anne, you do fantastically well with your CF.
    and thank you, I can stop saying I'm big boned & just say I'm zaftig...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Donna.Yes Zaftig is a far better word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Afshan.Yes it's been a busy month don't know if I have the energy for a conga.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks,maybe I should listed to my own tips. I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda I do my fair share of moaning just ask my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree Donna, a brilliant finale! I have enjoyed all your posts Anne. Wow, you have shot that number in the foot, 41 pah! When I think back to how things were years ago, even for treatments for something like asthma you wonder how anyone survived. I've said it before adn I'll say it again, you're an inspiration and I hope I have the same zest for life as you do in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! And I had no idea you had CF. You're a fighter!!!! I guess I'll always be zaftig but my honey loves me that way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sense of humor is delightful. CF is a disease that puts fear in my heart. A family at our church had two children who both died of the disease at a very young ago. Thankfully you were finally diagnosed and are receiving the care you need. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a fabulous finale, Anne!

    CF is a terrible disease, and I'm glad to see you've not only survived but thrived. You're an inspiration, and so have all your posts been this month.

    Love the before and after cartoons--I know just how you feel.

    Barbara
    Z is for Zzz-z-z... and an SOS
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hilarious cartoons!

    Congratulations on finishing the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on finishing the challenge - and on showing the doctors they don't always know best! I have my own health battle at the moment, so you've been an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Kate! Yes every year treatments are improving. We all have to have zest to have that extra push to keep us going.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh thanks Lizy hope your battle goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on finishing the A to Z, but more congrats on tackling life and the blows it has dealt you. I admire you courage and, yes, your zest for life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those statistics about CF are unbelievable Anne! I love that you're kicking A$$ on the stats. And as I said in my earlier e-mail I've enjoyed your series very much! Much love, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Zaftig seems a very fitting description of moi. It is a whole lot better than chubby or big. I think I'll use it. Congratulations, Anne, on reaching Z. Enjoyed finding your blog through the challenge. God bless, Maria at Thank you Sharon. It has been fun visiting your place as well. God bless, Maria at delight directed living

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on making it to the A-Z finish line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You did it "Yay" Congrats Anne you did it brilliantly, and I laughed till I cried with your cartoons. Good on you for proving the doctors wrong. Fabulous girl, a real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh congratulations, Anne! What a grand way to finish. You keep all that zest for life!! Your profile picture shows it so well. I've so enjoyed the animated cartoons as well, and this last one is brilliant. Wonderful. I've really enjoyed these!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was awesome meeting you and following you through this challenge. I am very grateful that you "happened" upon my blog over a month ago. Thanks so much for the several encouraging words, comments you sent my way.

    Much congratulations to you, Anne! You are very inspiring to me in my blogging world. I am excited to continue following along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Michelle glad to have met you too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Val thanks for staying with me every day on this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Diane! I'm glad you liked the cartoons I'm easily amused.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes I did Carol,Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That happens to me too Barbara especially if I comment on ipad. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Maria,yes it's a lot nicer word than chubby.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Jen! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Inger I think you have that same zest.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sorry it happens to you, too, Anne. But I'm relieved it's not just me. ;)

    Barbara
    Z is for Zzz-z-z... and an SOS
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.