Saturday, 27 April 2013

A-Z Challenge.Staying Fabulous and Fit after 50. X is for Xanthippe

It's that time again,the time when this horrible letter has to have it's day.It really should be banned from the English alphabet. I found it hard to relate X words to my topic so don't be too hard on me.

The X word none of us would like to be used to describe us is
 xanthippe -ill tempered woman
We all get a bit ill tempered from time to time. When the phone rings at tea time just as you've put the dinner on the plates and it's someone calling you by your first name like a long lost friend, telling you he's not selling anything than goes on to talk about insurance and PPI's. The phone gets slammed down and I become a xanthippe.
I'm not like that usually, I'm a lot more patient now than I've ever been. I only ever loose my temper with inanimate objects that don't do the job they were make for. If the washing machine doesn't work it gets a kick,If the computer freezes it get shouted at and if I can't open that packet of ham for my lunch....I might be a xanthippe after all.

Another X that we wouldn't want to be described as is
Xanthodont  - One with yellow teeth.
With the letter B I spoke about not wanting to have botox and most of you agreed with me. I would however have cosmetic dentistry work done if I needed it. I would love to have my teeth whitened but I have a few crowns and the treatment wouldn't work on them, and at a few hundred pounds a crown I couldn't have them replaced. It's an expensive business.
A few TV programmes have showed people with really awful teeth have cosmetic dentistry and the difference is amazing.The person has so much more confidence to face the world.



 I'm finishing the letter with an X  I don't mind being called.
Xenodochial - Hospitable and kindly to strangers.

If someone talks to me at a bus stop or while out and about I will chat back, I have had many a good conversation with people I have never met before and am never likely to meet again.

I am hospitable, If you visit I will always offer you tea and a chat,of course if you prefer coffee I will offer that too, I am very xenodochial just please don't visit when I'm in the middle of writing my blog or you may find I turn into a xanthippe.



I don't get angry very often. I lose my temper rarely. And when I do, there's always a legitimate cause. Normally I have a great lightness of being. I take things in a very happy, amused way.
Julia Roberts
 

29 comments:

  1. Should I be honest and say I'd never heard of your Xs ? They are wonderful words that I shall try to use in the future! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of them either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.....maybe I should start using the expression 'stupid xanthippe!' instead of 'stupid b****!' lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha - brilliant! I nearly chose this word too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Thanks for visiting! I live in Edinburgh but I'm in Glasgow most weekends because my boyfriend is studying her. How great to finally have some Scottish readership!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've struggled to keep up this year. Just caught up on your posts. Absolutely love the images you've picked and the topics are great. Some are a bit too close for comfort, I'll leave it at that..
    But you remind me I need to do work on lots of things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soo impressed with the standard of these posts! Having contemplated the A-Z and decided I couldn't do it. Glad I didn't now - never keep up with these! Gawd, you deserve your holiday!!! WELL DONE!!! STAR!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My teeth are really very white naturally good genes I think! The other two I struggle with upon occasion if we're being truthful.. I hate people who call on the phone at supper time and strangers now a days well....I hate to be impolite but I also want to stay safe. It's a balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Anne with managing to linking your x post! I have to say throughout the A to Z you have done a brilliant job and all your posts have been brilliant! Snap with xanthodont!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're brilliant, Anne! I would never have been able to come up with these X's and they relate so well to your subject as well! I am truly impressed. I would also never imagine you could be a xanthippe. Not possible, but I' convince the Xenodochial label fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, that was meant to be 'I'm convinced' in the last line. Sloppy fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant post, Anne! I love the word xanthippe because it will be such a lovely word to use graciously without many people knowing the actual thing I am saying. ;-) Your post restored my faith in the letter X!

    SiouxsiesMusings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awe thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awe thanks Val! I think you could have thought something up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Kate for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're lucky! Ah we're all friendly and will talk to anyone in Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Carol thanks so much for saying that you're so kind. I agree I do deserve a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lynn it's hard keeping up with other blogs. Nearly finished.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi yes I eventually found on one of your posts that you live in Edinburgh. I was going to do Scotland for my theme,I loved yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not a lot to choose from but at least we're learning new words.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well those were some new words for me. I don't think they will be added to my vocabulary though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes I'm a xanthippe - when I'm hungry or sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've broadened my vocabulary:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great job with the letter X! It is probably a good thing I had to drop out of the challenge because of computer problems. I'm not too sure what I would have come up with for X... oh wait, I was going to do Xerox. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anne - I think you did a fabulous job with your X post, and I learned a lot from it, as those were words I didn't know.

    And yes, I can be a xanthippe when those phone calls come in, too--especially if I'm interrupted in the middle of a good book. ;)

    Barbara
    Y is for Yesterday (quotes & motivation)
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha I can totally relate to the ham packet rage. I agree with you re: the cosmetic dentistry. If I ever came into a lot of money, the first thing I'd get is a big set of pearly gnashers.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.