Thursday, 4 April 2013

A-Z Challenge, Staying Fabulous and Fit after 50. D is for Dance

My first memories of dancing are going to church socials as a child. We would dance the Canadian Barn Dance,The St Bernard's Waltz  and The Dashing White Sargent. I loved being whisked around the room and when it came to learning these dances at school for the end of primary school dance I knew them all.
Later came disco's and The Bump and as my dad called it shaking yourself about to music, but I loved it.
 My friend Louise and I would go dancing every week and the best thing about a disco was you didn't need a male partner, just find a space in the dark, pop your handbag and your feet and shake baby shake.


My mother loved dancing, she  told me she used to Jitterbug and was swung under legs and around bodies. I could never imagine my mum doing that. Her love of dancing eventually cause her to break her pelvis when in her late seventies and unable to walk very far a silly old mad grabbed her from her wheelchair at a sheltered housing get together, swung her round and she fell. She just couldn't resist the thought of dancing again, a case of the mind being willing but the body not following.

Aside from my mum's mishap, dancing does keep you young and fit.
1.It's usually done in a social setting with friends,the feel good factor.
2.It strengthens bones and muscles.
3.If you're doing something you enjoy healthy hormones are released.
4.Your brain is being challenged remembering the steps, improves your spacial awareness (makes you better at reverse parking)

Even putting music on and dancing and singing around the house,surely I'm not the only one who does this?
Or maybe even on holiday where no one knows us?

Dance like no one's watching.

If you're a viewer of Strictly Come Dancing or Dancing With The Stars, this may had renewed your interest in dancing. Who wouldn't want to be in one of those beautiful ballgowns and be danced around the floor by,
Anton du Beke, Brendan Cole, or maybe even a cheeky Argentine Tango with Vincent Simone,well we can all dream.
Hubby and I have spoken for a while about going to ballroom dance classes, maybe it's time we stopped talking about it and actually joined one. 


Find fitness with fun dancing. It is fun and makes you forget about the dreaded exercise.
Paula Abdul
 
Do you dance?

27 comments:

  1. I'm only 23 have already perfected the 'embarrassing Mum dance!' I'm secretly quite proud of it but equally embarrassed by my Dads ;Dad dance' which is hideous! My daughter has just started ballet and I still like to wack on a tune and loose myself! As you say, dance like no one's watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, my kitchen is witness to much dancing embarrassment - but do I care? And I don't do it because of all those healthy benefits, but because I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big one for dancing around the house. But I tend to do it when no-one else is around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you may have noticed I adore Strictly and I love dancing but what I want to know is, where did you get that picture of me dancing with my broom?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you're not the only one who does that. My friend and I used to put on music at home and dance like crazy. It's very fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! I love dancing and always have- even though I'm horrible at it! And I just love that ecard you posted! So true! :) would love for you to check out my blog today- I promise it will be yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I love dancing! I don't get to do it much these days except on my own. Have you ever noticed how embarrassed your children get when they see their parents dancing? I'm glad you admired your mum for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who doesn't love a good dance? Can you imagine if there was a TV show where they installed secret cameras around the house. Then the film would be broadcast to the nation on a Saturday night. That's one for Ant & Dec I think !! Looking forward to E : )))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh I remember those Scottish dances from back at school... got to show off my Gay Gordons at a ceilidh earlier this year hee hee. My topic is "dance" today too (when I get round to writing it, that is!). You should definitely sign yourself & hubby up to the ballroom dancing, if only for the lovely, elaborate shoes & outfits you can wear to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol! If he reads this he may make me sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hubby never really liked dancing when we were younger,I used to hate it when my feet were tapping and he wouldn't get up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love dancing with my baby granddaughter and she loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Yes of course I'll check your blog out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have hidden cameras Ros,you just don't know where.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right Jo,we don't even think about the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your too young to have an enbarrassing dance! I took my daughter to dance classes when she was two,she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessica I can't find a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to dance Anne. Try getting me off the dance floor at wedding :) Bill's got a bad back and has had surgery so he's not all that interested maybe a slow dance or two but that's it. Then it's me and my cousins, friends, my son or anyone else whose game to shake their booty with me,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Went to a wedding a few weeks back and all the ladies (60+) were grabbing my man for a dance to practice the moves they had been learning at dance classes. Clearly these dancing classes are popular.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful D you have up there at the top! I can't dance, but I love watching DWTS, go figure. My mom loved to dance and was good at it; she was stuck with dad and I have inherited his lack of rhythm, (I never knew it was spelled like that!!).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this. My "d" post was on my dance class as a kid. I recently got interested in dancing with the stars and now I am hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anne, your animations are hilarious!
    I love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah bless your Mum ;) Wise words about Dancing, the animations are great and funny! I wish I could dance properly. I use to love watching my Mum and Dad jive together and their friends too. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love ballroom dancing, but I rarely have a chance to do it! Happy A to Z!

    MakingtheWriteConnections

    ReplyDelete
  25. I used to be a disco queen! These days, I dance around the kitchen and embarrass my teenagers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of my sister's took ballroom dancing a few years ago and she RAVED about it! My youngest sister has been doing ballet and jazz since she was five (she is 14 now!). I've always wanted to try tap dancing but have not gotten around to doing so :( Dancing for me is putting some headphones on and doing a jig or two while cooking/baking/or doing the dishes...hahah :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.