Monday, 29 April 2013

A-Z Challenge. Staying Fabulous and Fit after 50. Y is for Youth.

 Youth 

If youth but knew, if age but could.
           - Henri Estienne. 

How many times have you said to yourself , I wish I could go back and do it all again with the head I have on me now? We thought when we were young that we knew it all. We knew better than our parents and teachers, then when we are older we realise that we knew nothing and our parents and teachers were the ones with the wisdom.
How I wish I could go back to my secondary school days and  get my head down and study.
Why was I so desperate to leave school at sixteen? Up until then I was doing well, although a little push from my teachers and parents and I might have been persuaded to stay on at school. I could have been there another two years instead I went to college, yes, I studied and became a Nursery Nurse and I loved it but I secretly wanted to teach, I just didn't think I was clever enough. Looking back with maturity, I could have done it, I should have done it but my head was too full of boys, and going dancing and music. I was young. 





On a lighter note. I see the toys of today's youth and wish I as young enough to enjoy playing with them. All the things we didn't have as youngsters. I remember making furniture for my Sindy dolls from cardboard boxes and matchboxes. Look at the stuff girls have today for their dolls. Sindy has cars and caravans, scooters, large houses, the list is endless. Battery operated cars that children sit inside and press a button and it moves. I didn't even have a bike, I had a scooter. Trampolines, huge ones in everyones garden. I want a jump on one of those. I always wanted to work in  toy shop as a Saturday job while at school instead I ended up in a sweet shop and it wasn't as good as it sounds.



When I was seven or eight years old I had friends at school, twins, who lived in a fancy house with a huge garden, I lived in a tenement close so a garden was a luxery for me.
 In their garden they had a shed which had been converted into a playhouse for them. It had a tiny child sized table and chairs, lace curtains on the window and rugs on the floor.We sat at the table with a china tea set and had a party. Their mum brought us sandwiches and cake. It was like another world to me and even today I remember it vividly.
In our garden I will relive my youth through my granddaughter, we will have a shed and convert it into a playhouse and it will have a table and chairs and lace curtains. It has to be big enough for me to fit inside and when it's ready my granddaughter and I will have a tea party and I will have come full circle and be reliving my youth again. I can't wait.


What is youth except a man or a woman before it is ready or fit to be seen?

Evelyn Waugh (1903 - 1966)
Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life.
Herbert Henry Asquith (1852 - 1928)

I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
Dave Barry (1947 - )

 What would you like to relive from your youth?

24 comments:

  1. Oh I agree with your first paragraph! I want to go back and do things over! Or at least talk to my younger self and give her such a telling to!

    I also had rich neighbors with such lavish toys that I was in awe whenever I played with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in my teens in the 60s - and it doesn't get much better than that. If only I had the energy to do all that again ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of your tea party! Can I come please? Your lucky friends, I remember having friends I was envious of, we didn't have a garden either.
    Yes, youth indeed is wasted on the young. I'd love just a few weeks back as a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of re-living childhood through your grand-daughter, Anne. I'd love to have a little grandchild to play with too. The idea of crawling into a little house for tea - lovely! Sadly, my daughters don't want children, so I just have to make a fuss of other people's kids. I loved my youth once I left school. I hated school with a passion, but was too submissive to protest so I endured it and got through. Being at college was possibly the happiest I have ever been. The seventies were such a phenomenal period. I have students now who are jealous that I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight festival! Actually, I slept through his entire performance, but I don't tell them that :-) They just wish they could have been young then too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could you sleep through noise like there probably was at a concert? Yes I'm having great fun buying all the toys I would have liked when I was young and doing lots of fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah youth as you said on my post you spend your life wishing to be another age, older or younger depending on your age. I do look back thing if only this or if only that but I got where I wanted to be I suppose. Boys etc aren't good for a girls studies ;)

    I can just see you now playing tea parties with your Granddaughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I'd like to relive my youth.....in my memory I was always beaten down, sad, friendless and lonely. I'd like to go back in time and tell myself a few things though, but that might change the future too much. I'd like to tell my 9th grade self that the boy who is tormenting me has a huge crush on me. But then maybe if he & I had gotten together back then, we might have had a terrible break up, making it impossible for us to be completely and utterly gaga and in love with each other right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did youth too! Just discovering your blog for the first time as I make my
    way through the A-Z Challenge. Please
    check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity
    Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great insights about how our perspective changes throughout life:) I suppose youth can also be our inner child, so I try to keep that part of me healthy and alive:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy you did leave school early. Did you then get your HS degree later? In order to go to nursing? A-Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. That playhouse sounds excellent, I'd have loved that! Your granddaughter will surely be thrilled with your reincarnation of it. I know what you mean about leaving school early, I left at 15 to go study music at college and, like you, I could've done with some more advice and guidance, but I probably wouldn't have listened anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I was a kid when I was. We played outside and didn't sit in front of a computer of an x-box. As much as I wouldn't mind my young body back (which would be nice) I think it must be harder being a kid today.


    I remember some of the same things you do Anne. my friends having nicer home, and better toys. But as an adult that all fades away and what's left is family and I know I always had a great mom and dad. Wanting better for ourselves, knowing the difference, just makes us better adults i think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dunno, I think it will be very tiring to go through all of that time again!

    http://effervescencia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Playhouse sounds lovely!! Think of the tea-parties you wil have. I wouldnn't want to be young right now - the pressures on today's teenbagers are astronomical. They face debt, inability to ever afford a house, and no job security. Eveery year, I have at least 1 with anorexia due to A level pressure.... better to be young and foolish in the 60's!!!!As we were...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes it is hard for young people today but I'd like to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol! Yes but you would have the knowledge you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes you're right I did have a good mum and dad,a bit over protective but they loved me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to fix up a playhouse for her,she's too young to tell me how she wants it so I'll have that pleasure.

    It was worse when I was at school Cathering the carreers person wanted me to go to drama school because I was in a drama group, he was no help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No it was Nursery Nursing and I had a NNEB certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everyone needs their inner child.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't realise you knew your guy from school,my what a story and he was annoying because he fancied you,typical boy don't know how to show their feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know Kate we're never happy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't even have a swing,que tears...
    We made a swing in back year between broken railings with rope and an old coat.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.