Monday, 22 April 2013

A-Z Challenge. Staying Fabulous and Fit after 50. S is for Social Networking.


When we first started using computers we never thought how much they would take over our lives. Shopping, banking, paying bills,booking holidays,what would we do without them?
I don't know if I would have started writing if it were not for the social networking site, twitter. I joined because my daughter was on twitter and a radio presenter had tweeted her back, I thought it sounded fun.Well now she no longer tweets and I can't seem to let a day go by without checking in to see who's tweeted me. Through twitter I found blogs and decided to have a go myself and became addicted to writing. How I wish It had happened years ago. I wrote about it here
I tweet with people from all parts of the world,people I would never come in contact with in my normal life. From people in their teens through to people in their eighties,everyone is the same on twitter it breaks down social barriers.I have nothing negative to say about twitter I have always found people supportive,chatty and always there with good advice if needed. Many people would benefit from the giving and receiving of a tweet.
Credited Geek and Poke
I also use Facebook and it is a great way to stay in touch with old friends from school or previous employments. Probably without facebook there are some people you would never hear of or see again but it's good to stay in touch.
There are many other social networking sights such as, LinkedIn,Pinterest.My Space and Google Plus.
I have tried Pinerest but it is so addictive that you blink and a few hours have gone.


I find it amazing that many people of my age never use the computer or use it only if they really have to.
 On the other hand The number of people over retirement age using the internet has increased dramatically and classes are being held in community centres and libraries to show older people that it's not as difficult as they think to get online.
Social networking online is brilliant for anyone who feels isolated maybe through lack of mobility,at the touch of a button they can talk to someone at any time of the day or night. I play scrabble and other word games on my ipad with all sorts of people, it keeps my mind alert.
Facetime keeps grandparents in touch with grandchildren who perhaps live overseas,seeing them as well as speaking to them.

There's a great website called Gransnet You don't have to be a gran to read it, they give step by step instructions on how to use Facebook and Twitter. There are forums talking about everything from politics to baking. Guest blog posts, competitions and even have a book club, definitely worth a look. Many good friendships have began on the site.
 They can also be found on twitter @gransnet


A Spring Oline-Silver Surfers Day will take place on 22nd- 26th April  and more than 2,000 free digital taster classes will be held across the UK. If you know someone who would benefit from learning how to get online you can find out about it  here

As for me? My computer and I will not be parted, I would miss my online friends too much.They don't care if I'm sitting in my dressing gown and rollers, they are still there with support and advice, and they read my blog.Thank you online friends,what would I do without you?

The evolution of social media into a robust mechanism for social transformation is already visible. Despite many adamant critics who insist that tools like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are little more than faddish distractions useful only to exchange trivial information, these critics are being proven wrong time and again.
Simon Mainwaring

 Twitter is my bar. I sit at the counter and listen to the conversations, starting others, feeling the atmosphere.
Paulo Coelho



32 comments:

  1. I love the twitterverse, and potter about on Facebook from time to time, and have 'met' some wonderful people. They join me for breakfast and again towards tea-time. The rest of the time - it's off. There's so much in the real world to enjoy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Anne. And YES - agree with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes Anne the bit about not having to get dressed, I will say I'm not in the dressing but I do always look a mess. Take my iPad a way and I would be 10 stone heavier and a right miserable so and so. Another fab blog, I feel we are in for a fun week of A-Z blogging. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinterest is even more of a time-suck than Facebook is!!!! I joined twitter in 2006 but I had no idea what it was or how to use it so I never went back. Now I just don't see how I can possibly squeeze another online 'thing to do' into my day. If I was working full time, I wouldn't even be able to visit as many blogs as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well Anne, without FB, twitter and the such like I wouldn't of met you, Donna, Carol Hedges and all the rest of the lovely ladies I have. Pinterest is so addictive too! Some people get silly with FB and Twitter etc but use wisely and well its brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Kate it's good to dip in and out of and as you say without it we never would be talking to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine how you would love Pinterest,all those crafty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ian. It's a good link to the outside world if for any reason you have to be stuck at home, and you can vent your feelings to people who will listen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is Jo but I think for some people who for whatever reason can't join the real world they would at least have a link through the Internet,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to blog and enjoy my blogger friends, but I don't do any other social networking. How in the world do you find the time? I have a FB page, but I find it so boring that I only go there once a year to thank friends for their birthday greetings. We are all different and I am happy for you that you enjoy tweeting and FB and all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're active online! My grandmother never as, and I really felt like I lost touch with her the last few years of her life because I've lived so far from her for so long. Glad to see that's changing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with all you say Anne - social media are here to stay, and they've certainly transformed my life. I've met so many interesting people - and I've gone on to meet some of them 'in the flesh', which has been great.


    I am at home on my own a lot and I would really miss Twitter and the blogs I follow. If only it had been around when I had three children under 5 and was living in the depths of Aberdeenshire. I've started blogging very recently and I am enjoying it hugely - I find myself thinking about my next posts whilst I'm doing my swimming!


    Twitter in particular has shown that it can be an instrument of social change - surely that is one of the few ways in which power has been returned to the people rather than taken away from them lately?


    Thanks for the tip about Gransnet - I'd heard of it but I suppose I assumed it would be grans talking about their grandchildren (of which I have none as yet...) - it sounds great and I'm going to look it up. I have belonged to an e site called Senior Learn for some years now - it has discussions about all kinds of books, films, etc - there's a section for mysteries, one for non-fiction, etc. Many of the participants are retired lecturers, teachers, etc, but we come from all walks of life. I'm the only one from the UK just now, but some are from Australia & NZ. The American members come from all over the US, and it's fascinating to me to hear about the different customs of the Deep South, the West, etc - just now someone has been telling us about the hotels in the Catskills that used to cater exclusively for Jewish families, who would go there every year and meet up with all their friends. The food was of course all Kosher and Orthodox rules were followed. Very interesting to someone like me, a child of the very dull London suburbs.


    Better stop wittering now and check on my tweets!


    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne, you are much more in tune with what's going on in the Social Networking world than I am. I have never heard of some of these sites! Like you, though, I have become very fond of my online friends and I have 'known' some of them for several years now, mostly through my blogging. I do Facebook but rather halfheartedly. It's a way to keep in touch with family and old friends, but I'm not really into it. Twitter has been great for writing contacts, and I am so glad it has given me new friends like you, Jo and Ros, but blogging is still my favourite. It's where I feel I really learn more about my friends and what makes them tick. I love blogger! After all, without it, I wouldn't be here now :-) Thanks for another really great post, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Anne. I found Facebook a great way to stay in contact with nieces and nephews that I'd have otherwise lost touch with. Who writes a letter these days?

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    Jemima at Jemima's blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've really nailed this topic. I don't use all the things you've mentioned, but what I do use has made such a big difference to me. Blogging is so cool.

    Lee

    An A to Z Co-Host

    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gransnet? Hilarious! I am 50 and fairly social on social media. I just draw the line on a few so that I have a life away from it all. :)
    Visiting from the A to Z Blogging~
    Mary
    www.maryeagius.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely. Couldn't have put it better. You and I met vi Twitter and became friends. Looking down your comments list, I see 6 other friends...and they ARE friends...I don't think people realise how fond you can get of people, especially if you also follow them on FB, or if you share you problems via DM. As for Gransnet - what a great idea. I think sso many of the 'oldies' I keep an eye on would benefit from using social media - not only to keep in touch with family, but to break the loneliness cycle. LONG LIVE TWITTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Inger.Yes I love twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Jen, I count you as a friend too I think we met during this challenge last year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog is great.A-Z Challenge next year?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think if you start when your younger it will keep you going as you get older and maybe less active.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Blogging does change your life I find myself looking at everything in a different way. When something happens or I see something funny I tell my husband that I feel a blog post coming on. I must check out that website.
    There are some threads on the Gransnet forum about grandchildren but so much more I like the book club.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Val.I'm not on facebook much either it's good for promoting my blog,do you put a link to your blogposts on FB?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes all the youngsters love it. Wouldn't it be nice to recieve a letter from someone?

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so right Wayne and if you don't comment on blogs how can you expect comments? If you don't send a tweet who will tweet you?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Arlee for visiting.Yes blogging is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The good thing is when we are reaaly old and rally grey we will all be old hands at thios social networking and will never be sitting at home on our own when we have the world at the touch of a button.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Anne -- Lovely post. I have really enjoyed your series this month. I will be traveling tomorrow, so I must let you know today that I have nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. My post tomorrow will be all about it, and will invite you to receive and participate, if you would like. I'm very glad to have found you!

    SiouxsiesMusings

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's nice to see such a positive spin on Social Media. It can be such a useful tool for meeting other writers and broadening your knowledge of certain things, I couldn't live without it now (although I should probably delete my Pinterest account... it's taking over my life!)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.