Thursday, 18 April 2013

A-Z Challenge of Being Fabulous and Fit After 50.P is for Posture.

I have been attending a physiotherapist with shoulder and arm pain. He said it was painful because of my posture and if I didn't straighten my back and shoulders it would only become worse. He then told me it was my age, huh! That old chestnut!
I panicked, I don't want to be bent over when I'm older, so I promised myself I would do his exercises everyday and I did, for about three days and then I forgot.
If you're reading this you're more than likely to sit at a computer typing for hours on end,or read books curled up on a comfy chair, if that's you then you probably have bad posture too.
We do too much of this
I was told when sitting at the computer.
1. Have two feet firmly on the floor, (my ankles are crossed)
2.Sit with shoulders back and don't hunch forward (straightens shoulders)
3 Sit fully back on your chair with a cushion in the middle of your back.(Yes! I have that!)
4.Take a 1-2min  break every 20-30 mins and stretch. After one hour take a ten minute break and walk around (I'd never complete this challenge).
Take a break and do this









Any woman who has worn a corset or a body shaper will know it gives you great posture, mostly because you can't bend down and have to walk straight. That's probably the reason women in period dramas on TV look so regal.


When a woman puts on a heel, she has a different posture, a different attitude. She really stands up and has a consciousness of her body.
Christian Loubouton

So ladies and gents, if you don't want back pain and a stoop then think, good posture,head up and walk tall.
 I want to get old gracefully. I want to have good posture, I want to be healthy and be an example to my children.
Sting
 I have discovered that my arm pain (impingement) is caused by carrying toddlers, although I agree that my posture needs improving.
Are you aware of your posture? Does it need improving? 

26 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I'm in the slouching corner. Wonky back from carrying children (like so many of us), hunched shoulders from tapping at the computer or reading.


    But haven't worn heels for years - my knees won't take them. Which is a blessing (why torture yourself wearing something you can't walk in just so men like your legs looking longer?) It hasn't stopped me slouching though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cruel. My ankles were crossed too AND I straightened my shoulders when you did! I had Alexander Technique sessions for my posture many years ago but it's still as bad. We were never meant to walk on our hind legs. That's my theory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried so many different chairs at my desk it's ridiculous, yet still I get back/shoulder/neck pain. Mind you, it's not so bad since my eyes started complaining and cutting down my screen time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get loads of back, neck, shoulder pains when carrying my children as babies/ toddlers. My left shoulder and arm hurt from putting my son into his car seat and I had physio for it. As soon as he could get into the car himself, the pain stopped! Recently I've found that yoga is fantastic for preventing aches and pains and for posture as everything gets stretched nicely. Also pilates works well as when the core is strengthened I don't tend to pull my back and shoulders when lifting etc. A good chair makes a difference if spending a lot of time on the computer. I treated myself to an office chair with a high back from Ikea last year and it's great. Hope your shoulder and arm pains go away soon Anne. Best of luck with the rest of the A-Z challenge Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My posture is AWFUL & I am constantly in trouble with the physio for this. In the grand scheme of things I think it's the least of my worries LOL so I forget to listen.
    Love Donna...currently curled up in the chair nursing RSI from holding her iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get that picture of me with my Hoola Hoop? I don't know about posture, but when I put heels on, I just feel so much better, more confident!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to wear heels but was told to wear flats because of painful hip,not I can't walk in heels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always cross my legs or ankles and it's so bad for your circulation. I'll have to try something my back is so painful. I can't sit at computer for long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all sit at the computer for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anita,when I was unwell for 4 wks and didn't lift any children my arm pain went away and as soon as I lifted my granddaughter I felt my arm pop and pain came back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I get that from ipad too,my hand gets pins and needles. I think I need straps to hold my shoulders back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL!! I feel better in heels and taller of course but I can only wear them if I don't have to walk far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I cringed when I read this post. Even as I type, I feel the strain in my neck and shoulders. As a writer, I spend my days at the computer and I know I should take more breaks.

    And I need a better chair.

    Sorry you had to have the pain, but thanks for the good reminders from your PT.

    Barbara

    P is for Putting First Things First

    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Barbara.My back is getting so painful I'm going to have to leave the compouter now and have a break.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Slouching is bad! I love yoga for this... my posture is always better after a class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dear mother beat the importance of good posture into my hard head every time I would slouch. The minute I read the title Posture, I sat up straighter. I really need to work on this! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always had terrible posture. I can't sit comfortably at a computer w/ my feet on the floor b/c then my chair will be too low for the desk and keyboard. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sit on the couch when I use my laptop, I know this is probably the worst thing possible but for some reason sitting at the dining room table just doesn't do it for me. Probably why my neck tends to hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My posture definitely needs some improvement. I need to straighten up. I just get so used to relaxing my shoulders, and it seems so rigid to have your back straight. Whenever I think of it or notice it, I try to correct it, but I know it's something I need to put more focus on. Of course, since I started reading your post, I've had great posture. :)
    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mom always said "stand up straight!!!" to my sisters and I as we were growing up. Last year at work I was asked if I was a dancer...like a ballet dancer, by a regular guest of ours. I said "no" and then asked "why" to his random inquiry. He replied "you stand up so straight...". I took it as a complement ;)


    Thanks for the tips, Anne! :) take care!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So important! I do Alexander Technique, and am totally focussed on how I suit, stand and walk. Trouble is, if you are over 5ft 8, no tables, kitchen units etc are build high enough, meaning that you ineviteably stoop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish I was as tall as you Carol I would be a lot slimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My problem is I don't sit right when I'm driving, standing, watching TV, on the laptop, eating but ha ho that's me. Another good blog Anne. X

    ReplyDelete
  24. My posture is bad and I often slouch. I am trying to be better though. When I think about it I stand up straight. It's not just an age thing, I think bad posture is amoungst every age, people/children slough and don't stand up tall and proud

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.