Tuesday, 16 April 2013

A-Z Challenge of Being Fabulous and Fit After 50, N is for Nature.


Nature gives you the face you have at twenty, it's up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.
                                                                                                                -Coco Chanel
                                                                                                     
                                                                                  
When we see someone in their sixties,seventies or even eighties who look younger than we think they should look for their age we always say that nature has been kind to them.What I'm asking is why isn't nature kind to everyone? Do some people have young genes or is it something that happens later on do we ourselves destroy the work that nature has done?







 William Roach 80 yrs old has been on Coronation Street
 (UK soap) since the first episode.





Cliff Richard at 73 yrs old the Peter Pan of pop. He says it's down to good genes but he leads a healthy lifestyle,playing tennis and restricts his diet and never overeats and has never smoked.









The secret of staying young is to live honestly,eat slowly and lie about your age.
                                                                                            -  Lucille Ball
                                                              

So how can we help nature keep us young. According to an article in the Daily Mail all we have to do is switch on our youth genes. Research done by Professor Keyton from the University of California which was done using worms and much too complicated to share in this post proved to her we consume to many carbohydrates.
She said that by cutting out carbohydrates such as, sugar, potatoes, noodles, rice, bread and pasta and most processed foods we can live not only longer but healthier.
No more chips or french fries
We are left with salad and vegetables, lots of olive oil and nuts, cheese chicken and eggs.
Sounds easy and why wouldn't we all do it? I've learned quite a few things from blogging on this subject and I am really going to try hard to follow this advice and switch on my youth genes.Watch this space!
Lots more fruit and veg

Somehow I have managed to delay looking old. In reality I have good genes.
Michael Schumacher

Joan Collins,80 this year. Good Genes or no carbohydrates?
 







25 comments:

  1. Funny you should have William Roach's pic here, as he is in my city with a Coronation show at the moment. He has never aged....Not fair it happens mostly to men. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan Collins, at 80 - with surgery. Bodies are not designed to look like that at 80. Breasts that size should be round her waist by now, and her face should be full of stories. Me - well, I'm all for a salad or two, but I'd rather have pasta and wrinkles that live like a rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for my switch Anne. Couldn't live without carbs though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't eat pasta or bread but love rice. For the most part I eat well. But then there's the wine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. William Roach looks a lot fitter than Cliff in your photos and as for Joan Collins! Her youthful looks came from a surgeon's knife! I was recently told that we should be eating more carbs and less protein so I'm now confused. All I know is that if this new health knowledge that you've gained is going to make you look younger and fitter then count me in!! You're not going to get younger while I get older. No way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember watching a documentary on the 5:2 diet and there was a 101 year old man running a marathon, and his secret was that he ate child sized portions at mealtimes. I think that's probably the key to it. I couldn't bear to live without carbohydrates, I'd eat potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really do think what we eat does help how we look, if I had the money I would look really natural and young as I would get everything lifted and sucked away. I think Joan looks great for her age , another great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carbs are my middle name! I'm in trouble I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I, too, am on a quest to be over 50 and fit, I have experimented with a few different things. I will say that when I eat low carbohydrate, I feel much better. I've had a lot of years to observe (and beat myself up over) my eating habits. Eating higher protein, lower carbs, and more fruit and veg, while eating less overall seems to be a really good combination for me. For what it's worth, oftentimes people are surprised that I am 51.

    I think there are quite a few things we can do to keep ourselves feeling and looking young!

    SiouxsiesMusings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea why people eat so much junk food. I don't car about looking young, but I do care about feeling good and being healthy. Look at what junk food is doing to the children of today. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes he's been getting himself into a bit of bother down there on chat shows talking rubbish,lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol! She says she hasn't has surgery only tried botox once and didn't like it.If you look closely at her face she has got wrinkles,she does say she's never seen without make up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love carbs too,potaotes and bread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love bread but it's ao bad for you and wine to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Ros you heard it here first,loose the carbs and switch on the youth gene.

    Found it hard to find a good photo of Cliff that I could use but you could never say anything that could put me off him I've been a faithful fan since I was knee high. William Roach does look good,80?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still think it's nature and in your genes Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Ian,I think we've all left it too late now. Joan is amazing .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me too.Potatoes done anyhow,you couldn't make them in a way I wouldn't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you are completely right Susan,we know what we should be doing it's just so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it's time, Inger.Everyone works and has no time for cooking ,it's easier to buy junk food but it all catches up with you when you're older.You're right that good healthy food gives you more energy and makes you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The thought that struck me while I was in Italy once, is that there is definitely no one size fits all answer. The Italian diet is fairly balanced, but they do eat a lot of pasta, bread and olive oil in amongst there vegies and meat. Half the women over 50 looked like the Sophia Loren types, gorgeous, stylish and healthy looking - the other half are overweight and wrinkly. I guess everything in moderation is the key, but I put on weight just thinking about carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm pretty sure it is a combination of good genes, healthy living and, in the case of Joan Collins, plastic surgery. At 61, I am trying to age gracefully. It isn't always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In Joan Collins' case I'd say there's definitely a boob job...lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am too much of a perogies and pasta lover...I will never be able to give up carbs! :)

    The best advice I've been given on "aging" is sleep. A good night's rest. A consistent sleep every night, every week. Kind of hard to do when trying to "keep up with life" but, I still try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hahahaha...Joan Collins..hahaha. ALL these people have a little 'help' to look that good. The rest of us have to rely on genes, a bit of makeup and soft lighting. TBH I'm not sure I want to stay 'young' by putting myself under pressure to eat this/don't do this. BH says he's not going to stop eating some of the foods he likes just to live longer and be miserable. So there!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.