Saturday, 13 April 2013

A-Z Challenge of Being Fabulous and Fit after 50 L is for Laughter


You use more facial muscles to frown than you do to laugh so you may as well laugh and conserve your energy. At least that's what I thought before I began researching for this post. It seems that laughing is a full body workout using your,diaphragm, respiratory, abdominal, facial and leg and back muscles. Well who would have thought that? Laughing is indeed very good for your health and as I intend to be fabulous and fit I am liking what I am finding.
Research has shown that when you laugh the ateries dilate, blood pressue lowers and the blood is oxygenated.
Laughter brings balance to all components of the immune system,helping fight disease. It reduces the levels of stress hormones in our body and increases killer cells that destroy tumours and viruses. Levels of disease fighting proteins increase as do T cells which are a major part of the immune system.
Isn't it amazing that something so pleasurable can be so good for us? Laughing also increases concentration of salivary immunglobulin A which in turn prevents infectious organisms reaching the respiratory system.
If only I had known that before I had my chest infection I would have had a right good belly laugh.






We all find humour in different things.One comedian may make you laugh and do nothing at all for me. I'm thinking here of Mrs Brown's Boys (Ros) which some find funny and I don't.
Children always make me laugh, the funny things they say and the way they laugh at something that's not remotely funny. My granddaughter just laughs because she loves laughing.

I think I'm quite funny at times and my husband says I'm most definitely not funny. Now, I think he just doesn't get my humour, he finds Laurel and Hardy hilarious and I cannot even crack a smile. That says it all.
So find out what makes you laugh, read a funny book, watch a comedy film or go and see your favourite comedian, have some friends round,laughter is best when it's shared. You'll have a great time and be doing your body a lot of good, you may even live longer through laughing.




Billy Connelly makes me laugh



 Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg
                                                              Author unknown.
                                                             (it wasn't me)

   The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
                                    e. e. cummings

 
Now it's your turn, what makes you laugh?

26 comments:

  1. Great post, Anne - on one of my favourite topics. Funnily enough my wife doesn't get Laurel and Hardy either, despite the fact that my daughter and I love them. Where would we be without laughter? France! Only joking. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Anne! I can't even begin to tell you what makes me laugh. There are so many things, but like you, I am not one for Laurel and Hardy, but I love Billy Connolly (when he's not swearing too much). It's really interesting to see what makes some people laugh and others not. My partner loves Mr Bean, but I can't even raise a smile at him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Brian Johnson clip makes me fall about; Billy Connolly; the dinner party scene in Larry's Party (by Carol Shields) is one of the funniest things I've read. And my grandchildren giggling, even if I have no idea what they are laughing at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! You have me laughing at that! I don't find any of the silent films funny or interesting and I feel I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no not Mr Bean ! I know wat you mean about Billy Connelly but I don't think he's quite so bad now.My brother had his first comedy album and my mum banned it.I used to like Jimmy Carr until we went to see him on stage ,he was just discusting and he can be funny without all that,and I'm not a prude .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes that clip was funny there's something about someone else laughing makes you want to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really fond of absurdity, puns and well-done social satire. I really enjoyed the movie Walk Hard, for instance.

    Tui, from #AtoZchallenge
    Twitter: @mentalmosaic
    Blog: Tui Snider's Texas, Travel, Photos & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughter is good for the soul. I read my friend fishducky's blog and I sit in here and laugh until tears run. My hubby wondering what in the world is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love laughing! Ciaran, my youngest makes me laugh so much, really belly laugh - well both the boys do! I laugh with my husband lots, and I laugh with and at (but not nasty 'at'!) my lovely friend Kate Rigby!
    I also love books that make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I laugh very much, but I have plenty of laughter lines!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate reading about your childhood you do yourself a disservice ,you are funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes and Kate thinks she's not funny! Your son is very while but he probably doesn't mean to be lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well you'll have to laugh more Amanda and get a workout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "heroes" in humor for me are my three younger brothers. They will get going on whatever, mindless stuff mostly, and have everyone else in the room to tears and sore stomachs from all the laughter. I love them dearly and look forward to our family weekends just for all the giggles and and smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to laugh and I do it often; every day a few times a day too. Whenever my doctors have asked what triggers my asthma, the first thing I say is 'laughing'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What makes me laugh? I was reading this quite seriously until I came to your comment about Mrs Browns Boys and I started shrieking with laughter (thanks, I do believe it has done me some good!) I don't know why that prog tickles my humour. I don't generally enjoy smut. This humour business is a mystery to me because I don't laugh at Laurel and Hardy either but Mr A does and yet we both laugh at Have I Got News For You.

    Anyway, thanks for cheering me up :-))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah that's nice,they sound like lovely boys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're right JoJo it triggers my asthma too and then I can't stop coughing,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes I laugh at HIGNFY. I watched one episode of Mrs Brown and I did snigger a bit but then they spoke to audience and you could see audience and I just didn't get it and he's a man dressed as a woman. Is he supposed to be a man or a woman? I don't know, lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Watching my cats. Watching birds out of the window. Spending time with my friends. Doing daft stuff with BH!! (see blog)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post made me laugh, Anne - a great start to the day, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm easily amused, and my boyfriend being a complete eccentric always gets a good laugh out of me. I never knew laughing had so many benefits, Anne, I'll need to look for more ways to chuckle :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tell my family I am hilarious! They disagree, which is why I don't trust their opinions. Watching my 2 year old Granddaughter cracks me up every day!!
    Your post is awesome!
    A to Z buddy
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  24. I work with 6 and 7 year olds...I laugh a lot!
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are too smart Anne :)
    Know anyone like that? lol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.