Friday, 12 April 2013

A-Z Challenge of Being Fabulous and Fit After 50 K is for Knowledge

With age comes knowledge, maybe 50, 60, or 70 years of it. Not only academic knowledge but the common sense type gained by all our years on this planet. We gain knowledge through our experiences, when we do something wrong we learn from it and we pass it on to our children or younger people in our extended family and they too will pass it on. We tell them,"Don't do what I did, learn from my mistakes."
 Although there are some things they will just have to experience by themselves, make their own mistakes and gain their own knowledge.
How many books have we all read over the years, both fiction and non fiction? How many exams have we all had to endure to prove we retained the information given?


I love when my daughter asks for my advice on how to cook something or toddler boy wants to know about dinosaurs (no, I wasn't around then) or wild animals. It empowers, being able to answer most of their questions and makes you feel valuable and important,especially when we sometimes don't feel valued as older members of society. You can also resort to asking Google if your knowledge falls short on a particular subject.
I still remember knowledge passed down to me from my mum or teachers at school.
School.
1.How to make a white sauce
2.How to lay a table for dinner.
3.How to bath a baby.
4. How to sew.
All very practical and probably not what children learn today.

My Mum.
1.How to love and look after books.
2. How to knit
3.Never go out with wet hair.
4. Ner cast a clout til May is oot. (don't put away your winter clothes until June)
5. To appreciate what I have and don't ask for the stars as well.
6. Always breathe in the sea air deeply as it would clear my chest.
As you can see she was always thinking of my health.


When you know a thing, to hold that you know it, and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.
Confucius
 
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
Terry Pratchett
 
The word for today was meant to be K for Kinky but my thigh length boots, basque and whip were put in the bag for the charity shop by mistake so I couldn't  photograph them for the post and it would have been that bit poorer without them.

32 comments:

  1. I love your advice, Anne. So often you either comment on my blog, or say something in yours that really makes me think in a way that my Mother never has, but then again I'm not sure people listen enough to their own Mothers anyway?
    It does make me smile to think that they used to teach you to bath babies at school! I wish they had done with me as I didn't have a clue where to start! The first time I bathed Elliot he did a big poo (newborn style!) on my jumper as I tried to get his little wriggling body in his bath...it had a really tight neck too so hubby ended up cutting it off me!
    Oh the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have never asked me how to make a white sauce but that's possibly because they remember the taste of mine! My mum always said never eat cheese at bed time and I never do! Not sure why *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some wise words from your Mum there! My winter clothes don't stray too far, even in July/August! I love asking my 80 year old gran for advice, I know I can trust her perspective and life experience. How many books do you think you've clocked up in your lifetime so far then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother's advice was the best of all. God bless her. Knowledge reigns.

    Francene.

    A - Z Challenge

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do mums get so wise? My oldest daughter texted me yesterday asking the ingredients of 7 layer lettuce salad. It was empowering to be able to tell her she had forgotten the bacon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny what Home Ec classes taught children. When I was in Home Ec, we made some pretty horrendous recipes. My dad said he was gonna take my home made donuts down to the Canal and sell them for anchors. I was in that weird era/age where girls were now expected to have careers, yet they were still teaching us how to tend to 'home and hearth' as if we'd marry after high school and be a stay at home wife. Never learned the baby stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only just quoted the "Ner cast a clout.." the other day to my daughter. She looked at me very strangely, and I felt very old!.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh heck, I ring my daughter to ask her how to cook things ... but she must have learned something from me, as she's a great mum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, I do remember what I learnt from my mum, but I couldn't honestly say what mine have learnt from me. That sounds dreadful doesn't it? As far as household skills and knowledge are concerned though, I wish I could own up to something special, but I can't :-p I always told my daughters to go and look things up in the dictionary or encyclopaedia. Maybe the fact they are both very into research says something about that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely some wise words from your mum, we were always told not to go out with wet hair, and we were to always wear a vest. When I got to teenage years I rebelled, and the vest went out of the window, though as I get older, some days I could do with the extra insulation!j

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think our knowledge sneaks up on us. Suddenly there are things we just know and know well. Kinda nice at 50...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another brilliant post, your on a right roll this A to Z! My mum always said about never going out with wet hair. it's funny my Grandad always said never cut your toe nails at night and for years I never had although now I think I probably have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. forget to say the original idea kinky made me laugh lots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol! Thanks Kate,no one else has mentioned it, hope they know I was joking!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think my gran said never cut your nails on a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot the vest thing,yes hated them too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You made them in dependant then!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do ask my daughter things like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved home Ec taught me loads.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes I still hear her in my head telling me what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well last year it was winter clothes nearly all year round. Goodness I couldn't begin to think of how many book I've read,lots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes I was told that about cheese too, and Ive never eaten it at night either.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Donna,don't know if my daughter really listens to me either,she says she does. At school we had classrooms converted into a kitchen,bedroom,dinning room and nursery. We learned how to cook,made beds,lay tables,making babies bottles and bath and dress them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. lol at the boots! :)


    My mother's best given phrase was "the more you know, the more you don't." This, I guess, was said when it seemed we (her children) were being a bit cocky. lol. As long as we continue on the path of knowledge and do not stop and act like we are done with the journey, we will have much to gain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. kinky huh? Ya know what they say about redheads!! lol
    My mother calls me and asks me to Google things for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You and I had the same school curriculum - I remember learning how to make a Domestic Science apron and scrag end of mutton stew. Two Skills that, I can honestly say, have stood me in No Stead whatsoever during my long life. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes we never stop learning and those who think they have are to be pitied.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lol! Just as long as you know I was joking about the kinky stuff,well it seemed funny at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I had forgotten about the apron,I think we all made those. You mean you've never sewed or made mutton stew? You surprise me Carol,lol!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.