Wednesday, 10 April 2013

A-Z Challenge of Being Fabulous and Fit Over Fifty. I is For Improvement.

We all are a work in progress. Just like Gaudi's church in Barcelona, La Sagrada Familia. Building began in 1882 and it never seems to reach it's complement. We too can always be improved on.
We'll never be perfect, but in finding those little imperfections we can make ourselves into better people.
Are we quick to judge? Do we smile enough? Do we have enough patience? I ask myself these questions all the time and when the answer is a  negative one I hope that I improve on myself, but like everyone I'm still a work in progress.

Sargrada Famila, some parts gorgeous
Photo credit- Karen Mackle
But still a work in progress, note the scaffolding.
Photo credit- Karen Mackle
 Outwardly how can we improve? That's what I'm  exploring during this A-Z. As we get older it's more important than ever to look after ourselves. Our skin and hair need more nourishment than ever before, in fact skin creams should be on prescription for the over fifties as we slather on so much of them each day to stop us drying out.
We need exercise and a healthy diet as we make more demands on our ageing body, we can't treat it the way we did in our twenties.
There is no age limit in improving our minds. I've opened a newspaper many times to read of people in their seventies who have just completed a degree course. The best thing about improving our bodies and minds as we get older is,we do it for ourselves and perhaps not to get a job or a promotion.
We may have more time to ourselves to pursue that hobby we've always thought about. Learn a new language or  go travelling, write that book, everything we do improves our knowledge, keeps our brain active and life more interesting.



 He who asks of life nothing but the improvement of his own nature... is less liable than anyone else to miss and waste life.
Henri Frederic Amiel
 

33 comments:

  1. Continuous improvement Anne! Watching and learning always, in every aspect of my life. : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We'll never be perfect, but in finding those little imperfections we can make ourselves into better people." - very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying yoru A to Z posts Anne, you are picking great topics for each letter.

    We are all definitely WIP's! It's all was good to better ourselves. I am a strong believer in your never to old and as you say as you got older and have more free time it allows you time to fulfil other dreams you may have.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving them too, Anne. You always (as always!) leave me with something to think about.
    I love self improvement, I love learning. It's just a shame I never did at school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another good blog and yes I wrote my book after I was 50, it will never be a bestsellers, win awards or change the world but I did it. Just to stay healthy and happy is all I ask these days. 50 is the new 30 I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree. It's far more satisfying to join a study course because I want to rather than because I need it for my job. I spend a fortune of creams for my face but one thing puzzles me. I lather it on and it sinks straight in, no matter how many times I've applied it in a day, and I'd like to know where it goes to. Is there a well of very expensive face cream somewhere in the depths of my body?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think learning is the best way to improve ourselves after 50. I'm with Rosalind the creams and stuff can be costly and they don't stop the aging just the growth in the bank account. With our computers and social networking the world is at our fingertips , we're a fortunate generation of over fifties i think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait til you read tomorrows it's not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too.When you think at school all you had to do was learn,no other worries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes you did it Ian and it's an achievement.Here's to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ros I find it the same with lipstick,I can't keep it on it just vanishes,even the kind that stays on all day.I may have to have my lips tattooed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are fortunate, we're not really expected to get old just to improve with age,like a fine wine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! I sometimes get frustrated by my favorite authors. I almost think they believe they do not have to continue to grow in their craft. For each book they publish isn't as good as the next and they no longer desire their stories to be the best, but cranked out for the $$.

    Blogging from A to Z April Challenge
    http://www.shellygoodmanwright.com/apps/blog/show/25551594-inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  14. Learning for the love of it is so important at any age. I can't afford courses, but I love learning new things through some of the university and college lectures you can watch on YouTube. :-)

    Just
    Ermie
    &
    Short
    Story Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have an 85 year old friend who was just published for the first time. Seventies are the new thirties.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need more patience. That's one of my weakest points.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really think that its important to continue to improve. I am going start spending more time trying to be healthy with exercise and diet. You are never too old to make a start with some improvements. I've listed your blog on my 'I' post today, great to be here. Amanda

    Amanda -
    Realityarts-Creativity

    Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Anne,

    Good post. I need to remember these things. I especially need to get more sleep and take more leisure time. Haven't exercised is a few weeks. Got to get back on track with that.

    J.L. Campbell writes Jamaican Kid Lit

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a lovely Blog! I'm glad I found it through the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need lots of improvements! i consider myself a work in progress :) My great aunt got her Psych PhD at 60 and I think of her often as I am being pushed to start my PhD studies (I don't want to but it is an expectation of one of my jobs).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do I need improving? Can you improve upon perfection? hahaha. All the time, Anne.And the older I get, the more the flaws and imperfections in all areas become visible. I think now, it's the personality and attitude ones that are the most worrying!!! Can't do much about the wrinkles!!! Onward....

    ReplyDelete
  22. You always make me laugh Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for your aunt and good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Talynn,I'll have a look at yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sometimes there's just not enough hours in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Amanda. I'm try to diet and exercise too,it's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think you have lots of patience with all those crafts you do,working with tiny beads.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's amazing well done to her.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It doesn't matter where you learn it learning is good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes I have found some to be just churned out with no substance to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm definitely a believer in self-improvement. It was so hard giving up smoking, then alcohol, but it's been more than worth it and my health has definitely improved. I'm sure everyone has something they'd like to improve about their life, I have a list as long as my arm :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.