Tuesday, 2 April 2013

A-Z Challenge. Staying Fabulous and Fit After 50, B is for Botox


Well? Would you? Have you? Go on spill the beans and tell me if you have had it done has it made a difference to your life? Do you look and feel younger?
Botox (onabotulinumtoxin) is used in medicine to treat, urinary incontinence, muscle stiffness, cervical dystonia, and chronic migraines. It is also used to treat symptoms of extreme sweating. People using Botox still have to use conventional medical treatments like physiotherapy and prescribed medication.



Botox used for cosmetic purposes is big business and by 2018 the global market forecast is due to reach $2.9 billion,and you thought there was a recession didn't you?
What does Botox Do? It works on muscles that move,so if you have wrinkles when you laugh or frown it will freeze them,it will not however get rid of any wrinkles you have when your face is at rest or not moving.
The result will last for 3-6 mths and then will have to be repeated again.
 It seems very high maintenance to me and having all those injections in the sensitive skin of your face seems worse than going to the dentist.
We would all like to be wrinkle free, but at what expense? Everyone reacts differently and side effects can range from none to, bruising,swelling,headaches and more serious effects like respiratory infection, flu symptoms and dropping of treated muscles.
Sometimes you can go just a bit too far with your treatments.

                                                     


If that is the result for people with lots of money to buy the best then I think Botox is out for me I don't want to look any of the above.
The wonderful Joan Collins says about Botox..
 Botox, I think, is poison, I would never put it into my face, and I'm needle-phobic. I spend a lot of time keeping my face out of the sun and taking care of my skin and wearing make-up.
Joan Collins

So I've decided to keep my wrinkles. There's nothing wrong with laughter lines and a few crows feet it's part of growing older. I love this verse form The Prettiest Eyes by The Beautiful South. I wanted to add the you tube video but the words weren't very clear.


                                             Lets take a look at these crows feet, just look
                                             Sitting on the prettiest eyes
                                             Sixty 25th of Decembers
                                             Fifty-nine 4th of Julys
                                             You can't have too many good times, children
                                             You can't have too many lines
                                             Take a good look at these crows feet
                                             Sitting on the prettiest eyes

It seems everyone has something to say about wrinkles even Shakespeare.

39 comments:

  1. Well I don't have any wrinkles yet but if that day comes, I don't think I'll do botox. It just looks unnatural and I'm also scared of needles haha.

    A-Z challenger Deecoded

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the one time I'm glad I've never had so much money that I could find myself tempted down this sad road. I find myself looking directly at the foreheads of famous people now, and judging them on what I see, not their talent.. So many beautiful people are changing their faces, and by doing so they just take away the character and personality. If you spend a lot of time on your appearance, then seeing your face age can be quite upsetting. I do think though, on a day when I'm feeling low, if money were no object I could well be tempted - scary, but not a problem at the moment! Loving this blogging challenge Anne, making me think about so much. Thanks : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, no way, nada, na'a.... you would have to carry me kicking and screaming to get me near a needle, full stop! So I am having to live with my wrinkles, whether I like it or not. Cool post Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no objections to plastic surgery, but I'm a huge chicken so I'd never get it done myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, no, no - old faces, with their wrinkles and laughter lines, tell life stories. And what's the problem with wrinkles - it's what bodies are designed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne - we must be in sync! I nearly chose Botox!
    Do you know Botox is also used in MS treatments? I was shocked when I was offered it. It helps stop spasms in your bladder, feet, neck - that causes bad migraines!
    I haven't tried it but may do one day...NOT FOREHEADS lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! That's so strange Doona but I did say all these things apply to any age. No I didn't know it was used for MS.It is seemingly very good at doing the job it was first used for just not for making you look scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right Jo.Imagine having these injections every few months,yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it works then ok but look at the people with money that it fails.Michael Jackson springs to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do that too.I alsways say to my hubby,"oh,she's had something done"
    How many people do we now see on tv who look a bit starnge if you haven't seen them for a while,and it's not a good look. Glad you're enjoying this Amanda. Your turn next year,get that blog up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post Anne. Love the picture! The song words are lovely too. I think that's what we have to think of them as, each little wrinkle a memory of ours! Those women in the pictures look awful don't they. That's the danger of it I think once you have had it done and see the initial effects you keep wanting it and then it all gets out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kate,I love that song just not the part where he's says he's looking at her wrinkes to remember them in case she should die.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I would ever use Botox. Those pictures look scary!

    TaMara
    Tales of a Pee Dee
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  14. They certainly do,even scarier that there was so many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No! And those lips on those ladies are disgusting!! But my son recently had over 30 Botox injections in his scalp to try and relieve chronic migraine. It didn't work unfortunately and he said it was very painful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good lord who is the person w/ the dark hair and the huge lips?! That's freaky! I totally get using botox for medical reasons like headaches, but I would never inject it in my face to make me look younger or smooth out lines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, those women look like freaks! How in the world do they think they look attractive. The doctors who gave them shots should be shot!!


    I've never had shots and wouldn't although they do give them for migraines which i have. My insurance doesn't cover it so I won't do it. I wouldn't begin to guess where the doctor would put the needle anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ros has just commented that her her had 30 injections on his scalp for migraines and they didn't work. They look awful and there was lots more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dark hair person is a man called Pete Burns he was in a pop group years ago but I can't remember the name.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh thats a shame to go through that and for it not to work.My son suffered when he was young so I know how painful they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anne .. I'd hate to be stuck rigid and you can't press the undo button can you ... so I definitely would not like any botox done ... those women above don't look too good do they .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  22. not for me! I earned every one of those wrinkles and I plan to keep them. Growing old is not something we should hide -

    ReplyDelete
  23. People who look too young when they are old look odd. Out of keeping and out of context. I agree with Jo. Wrinkles are the story of your life written on your face, and I like laughter lines. They normally go with twinkly eyes and a fun filled face! No Botox for me either. Great quotes, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am okay with my wrinkles, especially my laugh lines!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nope, not for me. I'm not all that keen on putting a diluted form of botulism into my system that causes temporary paralysis of my facial muscles. I LIKE my wrinkles, they tell people I laugh a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmmm... I've always thought I might get one little plug on my forehead to get rid of one deep deep wrinkle. But after those pics. I don't think so. Great post! Got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Hilary,no it's not a good look.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad everyone is happy being themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When you think of them paying top dollar for the work,why does it not look good?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was considering botox but decided against it. I have a lot of allergies and it would be my luck.
    I may consider surgery in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yup--keep your wrinkles and your dignity. You worked hard for those wrinkles anyway. Wear them with pride. (Says the young woman who plucks her white hairs. *shaking head*)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nah, not for me. It is getting cheaper as you see salons setting up around the city, and even a dentist does it locally! But...seriously, NO!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Anne


    Just catching up after a hectic few days. I totally agree with all the other posts, I would never have Botox for cosmetic reasons - what on earth for? I may have had fewer wrinkles 30 years ago, but I am a lot happier in my own skin these days.


    Having said that, I have been thinking about teeth whitening.......


    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wouldn't mind teeth whitening but I have a few crowns and they wouldn't whiten,yes I'd go for that.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Damn right I'd have the botox! And Joan Collins is a lying bizm if she says she hasn't had it haha. I was at the "Girls Day Out" in the SECC last year and my sister dragged me along to watch a "live" botox treatment as they were handing out free glasses of champagne. It looked horrific, to be honest, but I'm not adverse to growing old disgracefully.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.