Monday, 1 April 2013

The A-Z Challenge: Staying Fabulous and Fit After 50.A is for Ambition.

Welcome to my A-Z Challenge Thank you for taking the time during this busy month to read my post, I hope you enjoy it and will return.
I aim to explore with humour how to be fabulous and fit after fifty I am now half way through my fifties and I hope that I can learn how to face the Autumn of my life with humour and determination to stay fit.
For anyone younger than fifty, most of what I'm going to post about is really relevant to any age it's really just about staying healthy and happy throughout life.

Before my post begins I would like to give you another "A" word, Arlee Bird the godfather of blogging and the wizard behind this A-Z Challenge. I want to thank him for the idea and for all the organisation that goes on behind this.Thanks Arlee. 

A is for Ambition
When we are young and finding our way through life we are always asked the question,"What do you want to be when you grow up?" The question encourages us to think about what we want to do with our lives and nurtures ambition. We are encouraged by our parents to be ambitious.
As we get older we may achieve our ambitions whether it be the job we want, the boy we want to marry or how many children we have. What happens when you no longer are expected to have any ambition and society thinks you're past it? Can you still have them?

Having ambitions keeps you young, it gives you a focus and something to aim for.
 A blogger friend, Jo Carroll who I greatly admire always wanted to travel, and as she missed out on her planned gap year when she was younger she decided to have one when she retired. She has visited many places such as Nepal and Laos, back packing and staying with local people, sometimes having scary moments with tigers but surviving to write two books on her travels. Jo has achieved her ambitions later in life but I'm sure she still has a few more up her sleeve.
Jo blogs at Jo Carroll,writer and traveller.

Most of us are not as adventurous as Jo but that doesn't matter,we are all different. It might be as simple as reading a book, learning a new skill or going swimming once a week, if it's something you aim for and want to do it's an ambition.
Many people have achieved long held ambitions later in life,published their first book,ran a marathon,brought out a hit record,the list is endless.

 Mine at the moment is to get through this challenge and maybe one day write a book, you're never too old to have ambition and it keeps your mind young and alert.



Our ambition should be to rule ourselves, the true kingdom for each one of us; and true progress is to know more, and be more, and to do more.
Oscar Wilde

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
William Shakespeare
 

48 comments:

  1. I love this theme. Ambition is a toughie for me. I seem to be losing the urge to be ambitious the older i get so thanks for the prompt. And I love those quotes at the end.

    Rosalind Adam is Writing in the Rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great 'A' post and I love the theme even though I am not over 50. Your writing appeals and I will probably drop back in. One of my best friends turned 60 this year and writes fantastic short stories in her spare time so I might be able to pass on some tips. Ambition is a great thing. We should all have more of it - regardless of age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Ms Mid-Fifties, from A Super Sixty-Four! Love your attitude and couldn't agree more. It really is about ATTITUDE. Looking forward to sharing the month with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaay, IU love the way we are all in our fifties/sixties and still 'out there'. I want to get another novel published, and become a gran (tho this may not be entirely up to me). Ambitions keep us going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ros,sometimes we just need a kick up the bum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, good to meet you,Im glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cynthia,I love it, Super sixty four!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right Carol we're still moving mountains all in our own way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Anne.


    Let me see, what do I want to be when I'm grown up ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello ms mid fifty from a just over mid fifty.... loved your post, the kick in the pants them....lol. :) Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, Anne, you are so right. I am closer to sixty than fifty and I cannot wait to retire I have so many ambitions to fulfil. I love the photo. Way to go, gran! And yes, Jo is an inspiration to us all. My travel ambitions are more of the watery kind, but I truly take my hat off to Ms Carroll for her wanderlust. As for your ambitions, Anne, you are a prolific and talented writer, you just need to channel it into that book now. By the way, I noticed that the average age of my FB page readers is 55 + haha. Who says older folk are not technosavvy? We all have heaps to keep offering xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Oscar Wilde quote :) This is an excellent post, Anne! I think it's imperative to have ambition at every stage of your life. I would imagine the ambitions only get more fine-tuned with age, as you have a better understanding of life and its realities. The only thing worse than no ambition, in my opinion, is ambitions that are so far fetched because they haven't been thought out properly (and thus never progress to the next step of going for the goal). Looking forward to tomorrow's post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this, Anne! I wish my Mum (who is 67) would be more involved and as easy to get on with as you!

    I love ambition and couldn't imagine a life without striving for something x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here here Anne! All you lovely ladies and gents who are over 50 are an inspiration! The authors and bloggers and those who are just full of life and fun. I see patients in their 70s and 80s that put the younger ones to shame! Most of the travel consultations for the more exotic countries such as South East Asia and South America are for people 60 plus! Always have ambition and dreams, I have ones that I hope to fulfil when I'm older rather then now ;)


    Great start to the challenge!


    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful start to an inspiring theme! Looking forward to reading more of your posts this month during the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your post! And you're right, it fits no matter the age. I look forward to seeing your A to Z Challenge all month.

    Best,

    Barbara
    Barbara White Daille

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apologies if this shows up twice--I'm not familiar with Disqus.

    Great blog, Anne, and you're right, it's appropriate for any age. I don't think we *ever* go past the point of having ambitions. I know I don't plan to.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your posts this month.

    Barbara
    Barbara White Daille - first time A to Z Challenge participant

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love you Anne. This is a wonderful theme and a great post for us over fifty people. The first things that came to mind for me when I read the word ambition was we're traveling more, and we have a very ambitious plan for our gardens this summer, making them larger so we'll be canning our vegetables . I hate that people think that if your retired in your fifties or sixties like we are that we sit home and do nothing. We actually enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there Anne. Many thanks for the follow. Much appreciated.

    Cheers,

    W.



    Random Stream of Consciousness

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah thanks Jen, Canning your vegs? sounds great and hard work. When you're done you can fly over and do my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for visiting Barbara.It's great we still all have ambitions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for popping by and thanks for compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think when you're younger you can be too busy with work to get on with other ambitions.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah thanks Donna,my post was a bit like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Catherine ,yes it's also important to know your limits but we can all dream.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're making me bush Val but thanks for the compliment. I think most of my readers are 50plus too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Diane, glad you enjoyed it there's 25 more to come..yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha Ha! You'll never grow up Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This made me think. I do have ambitions, but I'm not really doing anything about them! For now, like you, my ambition is just to get through this challenge and meet new friends in the process. :)

    Your fellow A-Z challenger,
    Deecoded

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds great and I love the poster!! My ambition is to get through more than 2 pages of the book I'm trying to read!! I usually fall asleep before that and no, it's not the fault of the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think ambition is a great word! Every great writer needs to stay motivated

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Dee yes getting through it is my ambition too. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks. When you have children reading a few pages is sometimes hard to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes you're right and sometimes it's hard. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have plenty of ambition and an adventurous spirit but no money! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good post, I nodded all the way through this. I like the quotes you've added at the end, how true. I think i'm going to learn a lot from your blogging challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Hannah glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great idea! I've started doing more since I hit my fifties, I still have ambitions, but I'm not so worried about getting there as I was...I'm taking time to smell the roses along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great post! My ambition is to finish these manuscripts and get some books published. :) On the short term, I'll be happy to successfully juggle all of my responsibilities this month.
    Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very motivational ;) Perfect start to the challenge Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm about the same age as you Anne, and it's only recently I realised ambition was missing in my life. It's not the sort of thing you think about as you get older, but since finishing work I found my self drifting, nicely I may add, with a long term goal of completing my first novel, and of course getting it published. Now I realise I need smaller, more realistic short term goals, so my new ambition is to set up my own blog this year, so I'm watching and learning! Good luck with this challenge, I'm excited to see what topic will be popping up every day

    ReplyDelete
  42. Maybe we have more time for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks Amanda,I didn't know you were writing a book. Yes definitely start up a blog and have a base before your book. Next year you'll be doing this too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.