Friday, 28 September 2012

Turkey Diaries : Along The Way: Gocek

We left Dalyan by car and headed for Kayakoy stopping off at Gocek for lunch. Turkish drivers are crazy. All traffic signals seem to mean GO. They only stop at red lights if they really have to. We have seen them drive on the wrong side of the road and cross a duel carriage way to get to a petrol station.
Gocek is between Dalyan and Fethiye and is said to be the place Icarus landed after his flight to escape from the tower he was imprisoned in.

 It hosts a lovely marina.                                                                                                 
A mega yacht marina no less







And here are the mega yachts.I would love to see inside them.












Mostly gulets (Turkish boat)
 We liked Gocek and although it was aimed at the yachting community as could be seen by what was for sale in the local shops we would have loved to have spent a few days here.I even took a photo of a hotel's name as it's on my list to return there.

Usual Turkish shops

 Another place that has managed top retain it's charm and I would have liked to have been around in the evening when there was more people around and it was buzzing a bit.

Would you eat here? We didn't!







Back in the car after lunch and heading for Kayakoy. The road signs are not very informative and our maps not that great either. We now have to negotiate our way through Fethiye which is an extremely busy town and find a villa in the middle of the countryside. Wish us luck.

16 comments:

  1. this sounds like a great vacation, except for the drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I clicked on your blog and I glanced at the photos' I thought oh Anne went on a ferry ride. Then I read....Yachts! oh my goodness how beautiful and what a beautiful area you've traveled through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, you're in Turkey. We went last year and fell in love with the country and the people and the food...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby said it was okay once you were used to the driving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you avoid getting into an accident with those crazy drivers? Hey have you eaten any kebap yet? I hear it's quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had went on a yacht ! We did have a trip on a gulet but usually we're out on the boats a lot, this time they were all booked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes,been home just over a week now.Where did you go to in Turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probaly luck! Hubby said he did nearly crash as a car drove out from side road while he was driving on main part but he managed to brake in time. Yes kebap is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahah. Husband and DD regularly drive in Italy. I cower in the back and whimper. Lovely pics, once again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those mega yachts are monstrosities! I wonder what they were thinking of calling their restaurant Kebab Hospital. Maybe it translates as something quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to see inside those yachts,the money they must cost I can't even begin to guess. I think the restaurant may be trying some humour but it just doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I gave up here but there's no way I would even think of driving in Europe. Daughter is in Spain just now and says she's going to drive there for the first time,probably just to worry me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a fascinating place to visit.


    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes and watch this space more lovely places still to come. Thanks for reading Arlee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so funny, kebab hospital! Oh my god what a name. Yeah I'd skip that one too. Once again, lovely pics. The drivers are crazy aren't they, went to Turkey about 10 years ago and they were absolute lunatics. Great posts about your hols, enjoyed reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for reading Kate.Yes awful drivers, I wonder how they would get on driving in the UK with all the rules we have.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.