Monday, 30 July 2012

Happy 1st Birthday Dear Blog.

Image:Morgue Files
Today it has been one year since I put my fingers on the keyboard and was brave enough to start my own blog. I always thought that online blogs were just diaries of people's lives and in a way they probably are but they are also so much more than that.
I have read blogs on every subject under the sun, whatever you are interested in, whatever hobby you enjoy, somewhere out there is a blog you will love reading.
Children, books, photography, cooking, fashion, crafts,writing, travel, and many more. There are a lot of creative people using blogs as an outlet for their creativity.

My blog title,"Is Anyone There" actually started as the title of my first post but I put it in the wrong place and it became my blog's name. I hadn't even thought that far ahead, that I would  have to decide on a blog name but it was taken out of my hands and looking back I am quite thankful for that as I can imagine how long it would have taken me to find a name. I would have consulted  family and friends, had a vote for the best name, then not been sure about it and I would have become annoying to everyone

 I had never written anything before and as I pressed publish on my  first post Virgin Blogger I wondered if it would be read by anyone. When I received my very first comment I was delighted, I did only have one but it meant that someone other than my family had looked at my blog.
The owner of that first comment was Rebecca Emin from Ramblings of a Rusty Writer and for that, Rebecca I thank you so much you really gave me the courage to carry on  writing. During the first year of my blog Rebecca has published three books and written countless flash fiction, she's a powerhouse of writing.

I must have felt really brave because my second post was the very next day The Waiting Game and I had two comments, Rebecca and Rea from Reabookreview, thank you Rea for taking the time to read it.
I enjoy writing this blog so much, it stimulates my mind and gets my brain working. I have always wanted to write and have no idea why I never tried until now.

The most challenging time I have had on my blog was in April when I took part in the A to Z Challenge and I can assure you it's not called a challenge for nothing. Blogging every day for 26 days was hard work, my theme was the 60's and 70's so lots of research was called for, it was great fun as I relived my teenage years and an enormous  sense of accomplishment at the end of the month. I want to thank my online buddy for all our chats through the challenge, Rosalind Adam she encouraged me when I thought I wouldn't last the course and I hope one day we will meet in person.

One of my highlights was knowing that one of my all time favourite authors Beryl Kingston reads my blog. She doesn't leave comments but tweets me to say she enjoyed a post. I remember when I worked in a library we all fought over who would read the new Beryl Kingston book first when it was delivered, considering she has written at least 22 books there was a lot to fight over. I never dreamt that one day she would read what I had written. Thanks Beryl, you have made a new writer very happy.

Each time I publish a post I think I will never think of anything else to write about, and sometimes I do go for days without being able to come up with anything and then something will happen or I will hear the words of a song and a light will switch on and I have my new post in my head. I'm sure many of you are nodding your head and saying,"Yes, that's me."
I have came into contact with some lovely people through writing this blog, people from all over the world, one of them is probably you. There is a group of loyal readers who always come back and read my posts and leave a comment so if you are one of them then thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some of your precious time reading my words. If this is your first visit, welcome and if you have enjoyed your visit please come back again.
A special mention has to go to everyone who reads this from twitter. Twitter people are all very supportive and I thank you all for coming to my page.

Lots of blogs I read are written by published authors or by people who are in the process of writing a book.
Will I do the same? I would love to write a book, to see my name on the cover would be lovely but there are so many fantastic authors writing such good books that I would have to have a really great idea first so until that light in my head switches on and says, "Here's a great book idea" I will carry on with my blog and trying out my poems and flash fiction stories (which I have just started writing) you can read them by clicking on the words.

I'm an avid reader so the next step was for me to start a book review blog as I always like to tell friends when I've read a good book. If you enjoy books as much as I do please join me on Books with Wine and Chocolate it would be lovely to see you there.

I feel proud at how far I have come from one pageview to now over 13,000, so I declare it is now time for wine and cake as I celebrate my blog being one year old. A big thank you again to everyone who's read it and I'll just, carry on blogging.

48 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first year - a great round-up post. I remember it took me about a year before I felt like I belonged in this great community. Here's to the next 12 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1st birthday, blog :) 13,000 views, that's amazing, Anne! I for one have thoroughly enjoyed your postings, and am glad you took the plunge, since we wouldn't be meeting this week otherwise!

    Hope your next 12 months are even more successful :)

    p.s - I sent you an email x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne. I can't believe you've only been blogging one year, it feels like your blog has been around for much longer than that, and to think you have now started a second one; how marvellous!

    Thanks for the mentions above. *blushes*.

    Here's to many more years of happy blogging!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day we really must get together, Anne and thank you for the mention. It was a mutually supporting situation. I laughed out loud at the way your blog got its title. I think it's an excellent title because none of us know if there really is anyone out there when we post up a blog. There's always that fear that no one will visit and we'll just be talking to ourselves (although that pretty much sums up my usual daily way of life!)

    Happy birthday to your blog and I'm delighted to be able to share wine and cake with you... you did say cake, didn't you? *scrolls back up to check* Thought so. Now then, what was it we were saying the other month about controlling our eating......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Annalisa. And thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine,thanks so much. Yes you are right we would never have met up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebecca, yes the year has flew in especially when I look back at how much I have written. Your very first comment did mean a lot, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy first anniversary although I have not been with you all the time I now read them whenever I get your e mail! I do reply to them if I get the comments right which isn't often! Lol. Rrad your flash fiction about turkey and will def read the rest! You have a great talent Anne don't waste it! Lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ris,it's only virtual cake so it has no calories,eat as much as you like.I sometimes feel that way on twitter as if I'm talking to myself but as you say we probably do that all day anyway. Yes I'm sure we will meet up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thefeatherednest30 July 2012 at 13:00

    Happy Blogaversary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your blog! I laughed at how your blog got its title, especially as it's the *perfect* title.
    Here's to the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thatnk Shirley,yes I like it now but at the time I felt a bit cheated that I hadn't thought of one, well I suppose I did think of it lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulaions and happy birthday!!!!  I am so glad I found your blog thanks to A-Z!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations from a 'baby blogger' - only started in May! Love the idea that your title arrived by accident. You are my kinda lady! I joined a whole writing website 'by accident' because I wasn't wearing my glasses. Enjoy our next year! I'll be following you. and Following after you. :  )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wasn't planning on doing any comments from my vacation. But celebrating ones one year is so special I just wanted to say congrats and to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. Best wishes and I'm looking forward to year #2!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to your blog Anne. I hope you go on to write your novel one day, I think you can do it and if you do start it, it would always give you Somthing to blog about! Keep writing, you're a natural!
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bev Klumpenhouwer30 July 2012 at 13:57

    Congrats on your 1 year!  No longer a Virgin blogger.  Blessings for the next year.  

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Anne! It's funny looking back at our first posts and those humble beginnings. I must see who my first comment was made by, probably my mum (seriously!) back in the days when a double figure of page views was exciting! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Anne, for taking the time to read my blog, Treasured Encounters. I resonated in our shared experience re: loss and 'signs' from loved ones. Plus, I got to visit a new blog on the day in which you have posted a 1-year celebration! Congratulations :+} Your post is inspirational to me as I step forth into my own 'dance of the blogs.'  

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anne I always enjoy reading your posts. It's interesting reading this one because I felt much the same when before and after I started mine up.  It's a scary step isn't it. I'm glad I did it though.

    Keep up the good work

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on the first birthday of your blog. Glad to see you celebrated with a glass of wine. :)
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  22.  Thanks for reading Julia. Yes you need a bit of wine to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  23.  Thanks Kate.It is scary but I have found no negatives as yet and I'm enjoying it like you.

    ReplyDelete
  24.  Hi Doreen ,thanks for coming by,I;m so glad as I read your blog on my iphone from twitter and lost it again so since you've reminded me of the name I'll be able to find it.  Looking forward to reading more of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  25.  Thanks Jackie .I remember saying to my hubby that I had 10 pageviews then 20 and so on I think he was hetting a bit bored by then.

    ReplyDelete
  26.  Thanks for reading Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  27.  Hi Carol.I didn't know you had a blog I'll have a look. That'll teach you to wear your glasses you might have been signing up for some weird cult lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  28.  Thanks Jo Jo ,and I found yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Huge congratulations Anne and Happy Birthday dear Blog!  I have really enjoyed reading your posts for the last few months and am full of admiration for your 13,000 views.  Cheers *chinks glasses* :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  30.  What am I saying? Of course I've read your blog ,the one with the pink car I want. lol

    ReplyDelete
  31.  Awe thanks so much Sue,cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy first birthday birthday, blog! It is always a pleasure to read your posts, Anne. Long may they continue *cheers*  :-) 

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Birthday to a lovely blog. I'm so glad I met you during the last A to Z Challenge.  This post is amazing, it covers what blogging is all about, expressing ourselves and making many friends in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Blogiversary! What a lovely way to commemorate your well-spent-in-writing year! :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  35. Trish Nicholson31 July 2012 at 07:39

    Happy Blog Birthday, Anne, and a lovely post to celebrate it. Well done with all your writing, I enjoy reading your posts. All the very best, and who know, that book idea might arise from your blog posts :)) Hugs, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Mina.The year has just flown past.

    ReplyDelete
  38.  That should say "such" sorry it won't let me change it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy 1st Birthday, and what a lovely post.  You always write with such warmth, so inviting.  I must read your flash fiction you have started, good for you.  Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Theunpublishedlife31 July 2012 at 11:57

    Congratulations on your one year blog-aversary (it's a word ... I think!) Blogging is such an incredible journey and an amazing space to write about pretty much anything that takes your fancy! I have loved reading your posts and can't wait to read more.

    You are a novice no more ... 13000 plus page views and a few pretty notable author readers is a fantastic accomplishment. Your words are being read and heard and that is such a great thing.

    Look forward to reading more!

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  41. I remember when I first started blogging, it seemed very strange, not knowing if there was anyone out there reading my words.

    I'll let you into a wee secret, I remember sitting in a classroom, next to Ros Adams, not a million years ago, learning about all about twitter and blogging. I don't think either of us realised how much our blogs would focus in our lives.

    I've enjoyed reading yours this last year. Do keep up the highly entertaining content, and you'll never be short of visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  42.  Thanks Diane and thanks for all your lovely words on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  43.  Hi Maria, I'm glad you have enjoyed reading them. We are all now prolific bloggers and tweeters now. I wonder what we did with our time before this.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lisa_GrandmasBriefs3 August 2012 at 04:47

     Happy blogiversary to you! You've done many great things in your first year. Best wishes for many years to come! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks Lisa and for continuing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Happy Blog Birthday  - a few days late! :D

    ReplyDelete
  47.  Thanks Jenny and thanks for visiting and taking time to comment.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.