Saturday, 19 May 2012

Twitterific Voices.

Recently I started thinking about voices and the way they  define us and how the voice we hear inside our head is not always the voice the outside world hears.
Inside my head I am a wonderful singer. As soon as I open my mouth to sing out loud that's when it all goes wrong. It sounds dreadful.
I can do a great accent, in my head. If I read books by Irish authors Marian Keyes and Cecelia Ahern it's an Irish voice in my head that tells the story. Reading autobiographies I hear the voice of the person writing the book. Ask me to tell a joke with an Irish,  American, Welsh, or any other accent apart from Scottish and I'm lost, I try hard but will get a better laugh from my rubbish accent than I do from the quality of the joke. I also had a stammer when I was younger, the voice I knew I had inside me was not the same one that emerged when I spoke. I blogged about it here
Why can't I recreate what I hear in my head to what everyone hears when I sing or speak?


This brings me to people I tweet with on Twitter and people who read and are kind enough to comment on my blog. I don't read what they have written in their accent, probably because I have never heard them speak, I read it in my own voice.

 I tweet with people from, Scotland, England, Australia, New Zealand and all different states in America and yet I don't know how they really sound. Without our national or regional dialects we all sound equal. There is no age difference or class difference because to each other we all sound the same, that is, we sound like the voice in our own head. I tweet with, lawyers, doctors, authors, teachers, mums, retired people,young people. Maybe that's why twitter works so well and why we tweet and become twitter pals with people we would probably never be in the same group with in our everyday lives. I wonder if everyone who tweeted with each other were in the same room would we still enjoy the company of the same people or would our perceptions of them change when we heard them speak or saw them in the flesh? I have only met one of my fellow tweeters @Guuye and she was just as lovely in real life. I am now able to hear her voice when I read her tweets.

 Today is my Twitter  anniversary, I have been twittering away for  three years and no one has stopped me. I cannot believe it has been so long. 
If I hadn't joined twitter I may never have started my blog. The support I had from some lovely people on twitter when I started my blog is what kept me going. I began by following some celebrities but they didn't follow back. I then followed people with boxer dogs as I had one at the time and they all followed me back. My favourite authors were next, only a few followed me back but most replied to my tweets to them. I then discovered new writers and bloggers and that's when my fun began. I now have nearly four hundred followers and that's plenty for me,I don't need thousands. I think there must be about thirty people I tweet with regularly. So far I've had no bad experiences with twitter, I know some people have but that's what the button to block is for, you just cut them off forever.


I can't see a time when I won't be on twitter unless for some reason it stops being fun. Twitter is always there at at any time even in the middle of the night you'll find, people from different time zones, mums doing the night feed with a baby, people waiting for partners or teenagers to come home from a night out, or caregivers watching over a sleeping relative and needing a listening ear. Sometimes we even have twitter parties where we can get pie-eyed on virtual wine. One of my blogging friends recently likened twitter to a chat over the garden fence (except she was tweeting to a tortoise)  and I couldn't find a better way to describe it so thanks @RosalindAdam
Happy twitterversary to me and if you're reading this and you're not on twitter, why?
 If any of my twitter friends find themselves in Glasgow, give me a tweet, and we'll meet, I'd like to hear your voice.
Do you love twitter? Do you ever wonder about people's voices?
As one of my comments pointed out I havn't put my twitter name here ,it's @cassam101 and there's a button on the right hand of this page if anyone wants to follow my tweets.

From 1967 The Beatles and With A Little Help From My Friends


26 comments:

  1. Ah, voices are so important aren't they?  Well, I would say that wouldn't I , working for the BBC!

    But that's why I love radio, voices enhance the quality of the writing.....I picture the owners of those voices...and sometimes get a shock!

    Butyou're right...vocies can denote  empathy, passion, all those really vivid emotions, they can convey calmness, coolness...and class.

    Twitter is so inclusive don't you think?Anyway, happy third anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise, if we ever get to Scotland, you will be the first to know. It's on our bucket list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I had a teacher in school we called Biddyblair so it really made me laugh when I saw your name,for one moment I thought she had came back to haunt me. Yes you're right you do sometimes are shocked by the person behind the voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a date then Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting post (like always).   I like @RosalindAdam description, chatting over the garden fence, that's so true.  I have really enjoyed discovering Twitter and meeting so many lovely people.  It reminds me why I need to get back on there more, I haven't been on there much with all I've had going on recently but I really should.  Also an interesting thought, my friends I have met through blogging and twitter in some ways know more about me  or more of a part of me then my friends I see. 

    Kate :o)

    p.s If we ever venture up to Scotland, I think coffee and a chat will be in order.  He he have visions of you been over run by visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read stuff in my own voice as well, unless of course I've seen a movie based on the book, then I end up reading the book in the voices of the characters!!  Congrats on your Twitter anniversary! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just occasionally people tweet with an accent. Yesterday you tweeted to me about the wee children and for the minute I remembered you were Scottish. The same happens if an American tweets the word 'awesome' and my brain switches to a US accent - which, just like yours, is perfect until I open my mouth. (if I want to talk in an accent it has to be Welsh and I have to say 'Ivor the Engine' to get me in the flow!)

    Thank you for the mention, by the way, but you haven't included your Twitter name. It's @Cassam101 in case anyone reading this doesn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kate,yes twitter is just like chatting over the garden fence. I think when you blog you do share a lot of your life with your readers and there's an element of trust there that brings everyone closer. I don't think my friends read my blog or if they do they don't tell me. I'd meet delighted to see you if you're ever in Glasgow.I think I'll do a tour of England one day .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes JoJo I do that too.Sometimes I get a surprise when I hear an author speak as it's not the voice I hear when I read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy twitterversary! You are a lovely person to tweet with and I love having your company on Twitter.
    Suggest signing up to blogcamp or the next Cybher- it is brilliant to meet some of the tweeps you tweet with.  Just makes the whole thing so much more real.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes you're right Rosalind ,when we use certain words the accent comes.  There's a few girls on twitter who live further north than me and always talk about bairns and it makes their scottish accent much broader. Yes I just realise I forgot to put my twitter name ,thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Monika, aw thanks for saying that ,I like tweeting with you too.I would love to go to a blog camp but they're always too far away .I would have to save some pennies or pounds and make a week end of it.I don't know if hubby would agree lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne - Happy anniversary!  As you know I haven't been on twitter all that much lately, but I am starting again (a little :)).  When I am reading your blog or reading you on twitter, I try to imagine your voice and it comes across as lovely.  It might have something to do with the warmth in your profile picture!  I love the feeling of the chat over the fence.  I, like you, will always have my tea and biscuits when I stop for a chat.  It is good to be back visting your blog - it looks like you have been quite busy.  Hugs, Maeve

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Twitterversary! I love the comparison of chatting over the garden fence (I love it even more that someone was tweeting to a tortois haha).

    I'd be thrilled to meet up with you, we're practically neighbours :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Maeve,what lovely things to say,thanks.I have missed you on your blog.You've missed loads,I took part in the Ato Z challenge and posted everyday for 26 days, memories of 60's and 70's I will put putting them all on one page but it takes ages. Please don't disappear again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Catherine, Yes we should meet up for coffee. I really don't know anyone else who writes or even understands me writing so it would be good.I've followed you on twitter so will DM you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Twitterversary (a few weeks late!). Just stopping by from the Grand Social. Really interesting post. I don't tweet -- but this has at least got me thinking.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Twitter anniversary! Found you through Grandma's Briefs. I don't Tweet....yet. I will one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read your post on Grandma's Briefs...I don't use Twitter yet. I got used to using Facebook though I have wondered about Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. By the way, looking around on your site....love the Pass the Wine poem...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lisa_GrandmasBriefs5 June 2012 at 15:57

    Congratulations on your Twitterversary! I'm quite impressed!! And such an interesting idea, the sound of the voices and all. I never considered that. I'm sure you and I would have to listen quite closely to one another to understand without focusing on accents. Yet another wonderful way the internet and Twitter help create friends without boundaries...or accents!

    Thank you for linking up to GRAND Social! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lisa, thanks! Yes it would be quite strange to hear everyone talking.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Debra so nice of you to say.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Debra thanks for visiting. Yes join twitter I have met some lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Connie, twitter is great fun,lovely people and great to promote your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi grandma Kc thanks for stopping by. Twitter is great fun and great for tweeting your blogpost and meeting new people.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.