Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Tangled.

                     

TANGLE  : a confused mass of something twisted together
                 : a confused or complicated state
                 : a fight,argument,or disagreement.

It was tangled again.  Every night before I go to sleep I take  the chain off from around my neck and place it carefully on my bedside table. It holds a tiny opal pendant my daughter bought for me when she visited an opal mine  in Australia.
I take out my earrings next and place them beside the chain. They are tiny diamond studs which belonged to my mother-in-law. When I have finished reading, my glasses join them on the table.
Next morning the process is reversed. My glasses go on first to enable me to see to put my earrings on and fasten the chain around my neck. Nearly every time I pick my chain up it's tangled, it takes me ages to work the chain through the tangles and a lot of patience. I can't understand why this happens, I haven't touched it all night. It's the same with other chains, I place them carefully in my jewellery box, when I want to wear them again they're always in a tangled mess. Is there a tangle gremlin in my house who goes around during the night tangling all the chains? I sure the chains don't mean to get themselves in such a mess and displease me so.

Life can be a bit like those chains. We get ourselves into tangles and messes without really meaning to.
We may over commit to others and have too many things to deal with and get tangled up in them leaving no time for ourselves.
 We sometimes say the wrong thing, "put our foot in it" without really meaning hurt or offence and before you know it, a friendship is in a tangle. Some tangles are harder to unwind than others.
 The young child whose long hair is in tangles wants to ignore them because she knows combing them out will hurt, but her mum knows you just have to go for it and although it may hurt its the only way to do it.
There are times when the tangles have to be cut out as its the only way to rectify the mess.
Sometimes, something is tangled so badly it just can't be saved, it has to be thrown away, discarded.  It can be frustrating when this happens as you've tried so hard to make it right but there comes a time when you have to admit defeat. It's knowing when to that matters.
As for my chains, I think I will have to invest in one of those metal jewellery trees to hang them on, now that would be a sensible idea.
Do you get yourself or your chains in a tangle? What do you do about it?
 I just found a tip on the internet, to make sure your chain doesn't get tangled slip one end through a drinking straw and then fasten the clasp,simples!

22 comments:

  1. thefeatherednest30 May 2012 at 16:06

    I give my tangled jewellery to my husbamd to sort out...it keeps him quiet for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little my Dad sold costume jewellery on the market. As you can imagine he often had chains that were tangled up but he had a system. He held them loosely in his hand and gently shook them. The tangles all fell out. I think there could be a metaphor for life there but I've not quite worked it out! The chain untangling really does work though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha now why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was told once that if you keep the  chain closed then it won't get so tangled, and if  it does get tangled it's easier to untangled. 

    When the ends are open however it usually ends up being a real mess. 

    I wonder if that's where the expression " lose ends" comes from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me it's my embroidery/cross stitch thread that gets tangled and I take the time to untangle it.  My former boss used to have me untangle her knitting yarn.  I try to do the same thing in a conflict as well.  It's worth taking the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually tried this after reading and it did work. I also found a tip on the internet to thread chain through a staw and then fasten it. It must have been great when you were young having your dad selling jewellery like an Aladdins cave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen, Mine still gets tangled even if I fasten it. Yes maybe that expression does come from that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi JoJo, I remember holding my arms out for my mum to wind up her knitting yarn and hard task. Yes sometimes conflict can be as delicate as gold chains to unravel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful analogy! I'm afraid I'm no quite so methodical and often end up making a mess of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Talli. Well you dont make a mess of writing your books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally with you re the tangled specs chain. It drives me ballistic, it really does. I get so furious with myself because really it is nothing. I don't get your idea re the straw!! How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudia,thanks for visiting. You unhook the chain and thread it through a straw then fasten it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. patientdreamer5 June 2012 at 19:33

    I think there are some tangled chain gremlins about...lol.  They like making you late for things...lol.   

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tangles happen so easily, don't they?  We don't even realise it till it's too late and often do have to just cut it out.  I love the metaphor!

    As for the chain... it might just be gremlins or mischievous little fairies at night. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spooky! The way they get tangled overnight.

    I have a crucifix on a very fine chain, it got knotted and I was so upset. A gift I had only just received. I gave to a colleague at work who showed me a technique. 

    Very gently, rub the knot between your finger and thumb, and as if by magic it frees itself. I couldn't believe it!

    I don't take it off now - far easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tip!  Like those chains in my jewlrey box life can sometimes get in a tangle.  I find the only way to untangle that is to take a little time off sit back and do a little unraveling.  Sort of like when I am writing.  Great analogy Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Diane, yes it always happens when you have the least amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Monika,oh I think there's lots of gremlins in my house. There's the gremlin that keeps putting up the loo seat,the one who takes the dishes back out the dishwashere when hubby says he put his in and the gremlin who takes the top of the toothpaste when no one's looking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Maria,I must try that trick. The chain I speak about is very fine too and it just knots all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Maeve, yes sometimes time and some patience is all it takes for both tangled chains and life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a talented and sensitive writer, Anne. This is where I will come to read when I need a calming presence during a hectic day! Thank you!
    Your granddaughter is precious and your Sam is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Jserialmom what a lovely thing to say. I'm glad you have enjoyed your visit,if you come back again can you leave me your blog address so I can visit yours. I may have already done I will look through my blog list.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.