Monday, 16 April 2012

Memories of 60's & 70's N is for New Seekers, Necklines and Never Can Say Goodbye.

In 1969 after the popular folk group,The Seekers, split, one of the members Keith Potger reformed with some friends as The New Seekers. Within a year the groups line up had changed and this  is the group I remember. Eve Graham, Lyn Paul, Marti Kristian,Peter Doyle and Paul Layton. Their hits included,

What Have They Done To My Song Ma?
Beg, Steal Or Borrow
Circles
Never ending Song Of Love
You won't find Another Fool Like Me.
I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing.

 My favourite New Seeker's song was, I Get A Little Sentimental Over You. A great song for heartbroken teenagers to cry to.
They represent the UK in Eurovision in 1972 and came second place with, Beg,Steal or Borrow. 
The singers in the group have been replaced a few times and most of the 1970 group released their own singles and albums.
A greatest hits album was released in 2009 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the group and they also performed at 35 concerts around the UK. Now why did I not know about this?
I'm going to indulge myself and " Get a Little Sentimental Over You"




Necklines in the seventies.
I can remember wearing Chinese Mandarin collars, sweetheart neckline, halter necks. Blouses with ruffles down the front, I think this was a copy of what was worn by Cliff Richard when he won Eurovision.
 Square necks, which was what I had on my wedding dress. Keyhole neckline which had a hole just out between the neck and the boobs  and of course sometimes times we had no neckline at all when we wore our Boob Tubes, yes once again we got there first with the boob tube. Are you seeing a pattern here with clothes?
It's about time new styles were designed instead of  re- hashing all the old styles. Give us something new.




Never Can Say Goodbye was recorded by The Jackson Five and Gloria Gaynor.
The Jackson five recorded it in 1971. It did very well for them in America but only reached number five in the UK charts. It is thought this was because Michael Jackson who sang the lead was only eleven years old and the song was about saying goodbye to a lover.
Gloria Gaynor's version recorded in 1974 was more a disco recording  and soared to number two in the UK.
 I have listened to them both again and I prefer Gloria's version which is what I  will leave you with.


14 comments:

  1. I love the Sweetheart neckline :) The only ones borne from the 90's onwards are the plunging necklines! Fab post, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. I don't like plunging necklines either.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that about the Seekers and the New Seekers. Love that song you've posted up... well both of them actually. I don't remember the sweetheart neckline but I remember being very attached to some square-necked smock tops that I used to wear over my jeans the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great songs. Smock tops are coming later loved them too.

      Delete
  3. My grandmother used to make clothes with the sweetheart necklines, and key holes too!

    I'm going with Micheal Jackson's version.....of the song ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen. Yes that's a good version too.

      Delete
  4. some great stuff here, not knowing the group... thank you.

    Nice post, making it happen...

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    A to Z Co-Host
    My New Book:
    Retro-Zombie: Art and Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy thanks for visiting when your so busy.

      Delete
  5. Never heard of them. Thanks for the exposition!


    Elizabeth
    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd forgotten those awful halter necks and keyhole necks. As for boob tubes, I so wish I had the nerve to leave the house in one now. I remember my mother shaking her head in despair at my latest outfit ... she obviously had a point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for late repy your comment was in spam again lol!! I loved halter necks back then I had quite a few.

      Delete
  7. Loved the Seekers and the new seekers and their songs started playing in my head the minute I read them. Great post.
    Sorry about the issues with wordpress and blogger. Thanks for commenting as I got sentimental over your blog and remembered to catch up!
    I was always an Osmonds girl rather than the Jackson 5. If one of the others had sung it rather than Michael they might have had more of a hit. The other brothers were much hotter than him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the old Seekers too with Judith Durum ,I think.I loved Osmonds too not really into Jackson five.
    The problem with word press is I deleted a blog I had with them but it still wants me to sign in or won't let me comment and my name takes people to a rather odd page.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.