Friday, 20 April 2012

Memories of the 60's &70's R is For Record Players, Roger, Rod,and Cliff

We didn't have stereo sound or CD players but what we never had we never missed. My first record  player came in a small case with a handle, it was portable so I could easily carry it to my friends house to listen to our records.After I started working and was able to save I bought a bigger one, still in a case and still portable but much heavier with better sound .
The first record I bought was, Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkins (opportunity knocks) and the first album (LP) was a Top Of The Pops one containing songs from all different groups, The few I remember are, The World Is A Great Big Onion, Something, Knock Three Times. Records could be broken and had to be put back in their sleeves to avoid getting them scratched.
Small single records always had a B side which was a lesser known song by the same artist. They had to be played at 45 rmp and LPs at 33rmp.  If there were any old long players of our parents they were played at 78rmp.


Roger Daltry was the lead singer with The Who in the sixties. I was a bit young then to listen to their music but I remember them being in the news for throwing a television set through a hotel room window.
 He didn't grab my attention until he left the group in the seventies.This album was his first solo one and I fell in love with it. I still have the album today and also have it o my ipod. I would play it over and over again.
Some of the songs I loved were,
 Giving it all Away
One Man Band
It's a Hard Life
Reasons,
The Way of the World.
I loved his curly hair, it just wasn't the same when he cut it short.
 He has appeared in over thirty films and  starred in the film,"Tommy" at rock musical written by The Who.
Roger Daltry is still singing and performing today although, hopefully not wrecking any more hotel rooms.





 Rod Stewart. has sold over 100 million records worldwide. He has been singing for over fifty years. First with The Jeff Beck Group and then The Faces.
Maggie May
Reason to Believe
Sailing
Do You Think I'm Sexy
Baby Jane and so many more hits.
Since 2002 Rod has been recording songs from the 1930's and 40's and releasing them in his,"Great American Songbooks" This has seen him return to our pop charts again.
The awards Rod Stewart has been given over the years are too numerous to mention but he now has his name on a star on the Hollywood walk of Fame.



I nearly finished this post without writing about Cliff Richard. He is one of the pop stars from my teenage days who I have been to see in concert many times. None of my friends liked him but when I started working I met a fan of his, Helen and we started going to his concerts together. Cliff has been singing since the fifties and will be seventy two this year.  His hits included,
Living Doll, Congratulations, Miss You Nights, The Minute You're Gone, Suddenly.
He starred in the musicals Time and Heathcliff which weren't a flop as the media like to say. I didn't get to see them myself but I love the music from Heathcliff. The last concert I saw was a few years ago to celebrate his fifty years in the business. My daughter came with me and even she said that she enjoyed the show and Cliff was a really good entertainer. I had such a good evening that night as Cliff sang as many of his songs as he could ,so thank you Karen for sharing it with me. All I have left to say is he may be like marmite to some but
 I LOVE CLIFF!

Please let me knowing by commenting if I have brought any memories back for you.
If your era was more the fifties and sixties or if you would like to know what we were all doing then you might like to read Rosalind Adams blog Writing in the Rain

27 comments:

  1. I remember listening to Rod, his songs were played everywhere I went...Ahh those were the days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's nice to remember again,thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. When I was little I used to listen to all my dad's LPs on our old LP player. I listened to musicals mainly - Grease, Bed Knobs and Broomsticks and Wizard of Oz. I loved taking the records out of their protective sleeves and delicately placing them on the turntable. I would then dance around our living room.

    Thanks for sharing, it has brought back some great memories for me:)

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a bundle of old LPS just don't like to part with them,a part of my youth.

      Delete
  3. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge...lovely blog...good luck with the rest of the challenge...

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first LP was by Cliff Richard. I adored him but, although I've seen lots of 60s stars live, I've never seen Cliff. Neither have I seen Rod Stewart but I have most of his stuff on LP and on CD. I recently bought his version of the Motown songs... soooo sexy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff's concerts are amazing! I've even been to one of his Gospel concerts. I saw Rod Stewart as well with Status Quo.

      Delete
  5. This brought back so many memories Anne. I never got to a live concert in my youth, but I did trade my new coat in part payment for a very old record player - my first - and got hell for it! I think the first record, which the junk dealer threw in for free, was called 'Wild Capri' or something Capri? It became very familiar because it was my only record for some time! When you reach 'Z', you should consider weaving these blogs together and editing them as an ebook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely I brought back some memories to you. I can't believe you sold your coat, your mother must have been mad at you. When I reach Z I will be cracking open a bottle of wine and celebrating!

      Delete
  6. Great post!!! I had one of those record players too. My first records were Partridge Family. I still have and use a turntable.

    I liked Cliff Richard's songs that were on the radio here - Devil Woman was his first hit in around 1976/77. Rod & Roger I could take or leave - some songs I love, others not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes loved The Patridge Family. It's true that we didn't have a lot of records it took a while to build up a collection. Before I bought one I played my parents which was Lonnie Donnigan .

      Delete
  7. So many memories, lots of old songs some I remember some I don't but reading your A-Z posts have been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen that makes me really happy!

      Delete
  8. What a fun theme! I don't every remembering taking notice of how lousy the sound was on my fab little record player!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I think that's because we didn't know any different.

      Delete
  9. "Those Were The Days" by Mary Hopkins remains one of my favorite songs.

    These are great choices for "R" - up to and including Cliff Richard. "Miss You Nights" is a one I remember very well. Did he also sing "The Day I Met Marie"?

    Thanks for stopping by on my A to Z challenge effort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Those Were The Days. I wore my hair the same as Mary Hopkins straight down the front of my face. Yes Cliff sang The Day I Met Marie. At his concerts they made the glitter ball spin round at Miss You Nights when he sang, midnight diamonds stud my heaven , and you could hear if a pin dropped. Thanks for reading KjM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes it's nice to remember again,thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I remember all those films.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore Cliff and saw him lots of times,even been to his Gospel concert. I saw him preach In Quarriers Homes and touched him!! lol I see Rod in concert too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's lovely I brought back memories for you.I can't believe you sold your coat no wonder your parents were mad. When I reach Z I will be cracking opened a bottle of wine and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness, you still have a record played ,I wish I had kept mine .lots of LPs though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Andrea,Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi KjM yes he sang Day I Met Marie. Then I think all Cliff song were great.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.