Monday, 30 April 2012

Memories of the 60's and 70's Z is for Zebedee and Ziggy Stardust

ZEBEDEE was the puppet with a rather large moustache who jumped about on a spring on The Magic Roundabout from 1965 until 1977. Friends who joined him were, Florence, the young girl, Ermentrude the cow, Dougal, the long haired dog, Brian the snail and  Dylan the spaced out hare. The magic roundabout was  musical carousel.
The theme tune became very recognisable and we watched it for ten minutes before the six o'clock news started and Zebedee bounced up and said,"Time for bed."
It had a cult following and because of the dry humour which went right over the heads of children, parents liked it too.

Zippy from the children's TV show Rainbow started in 1972 and lasted for twenty years. Zippy was a strange orange creature who was very cheeky and sometimes Geoffrey the human in the show had to close the zip on his mouth for some peace and quiet.

Zipper dresses were dresses with zips down the front instead of at the back of the dress. The zip had to have a large ring on the end of it. I had a few in psychedelic designs with mandarin collars. I still recognise some of the patterns on dresses in the shops today.

ZZ Top from Houston Texas. Formed in 1969 singing blues music and are still together and playing today.

Zip-a-Dee- Doo- Dah This was a 1946 song from the Disney film, "Song of The South" sung by James Baskett. It won an Oscar for best original song.
 I have loved this song since I was little but did you know it has been recorded at least nine times in the sixties by, Guy Mitchell, Bob B soxx and The Blue Jeans, Connie Francis, The Hollies,The Dave Clark Five, Doris Day, Louis Armstrong and The Jackson Five and the funny thing is, it's not a pop song.

In 1972 Ziggy Stardust was the alter ego of David Bowie. He did this entering the glam rock era where most groups seemed to need something extra to attract attention. He painted his face and wore outrageous clothes and at times we wondered if he was male or female he was actually supposed to be half alien as Ziggy.  Lady Ga Ga is not unique, Bowie was there first.
His album and tour as Ziggy Stardust was called, " The Rise of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"
I think after David Bowie left his Ziggy Stardust persona behind  his songs were much better but that's only my opinion.




I have now reached the end of the A to Z Challenge, it's been both good fun and hard work as I'm sure everyone who has taken part will say.  I have prepared a speech, like an Oscar winner, because, I deserve it.

Thank you to everyone who has read any of my posts, I really appreciate your time. Thank you also to the kind people who took time to leave a comment, again, much appreciated and it spurred me on to write the next post.
 Some people have been with me everyday and read every post, my daughter Karen and my husband Jim, I know I've driven you both mad.
 Rosalind who has a fifties and sixties A to Z theme but blogs on a wide range of subjects.
 Guuye  who's A to Z is about differences she found coming to the UK from Mongolia
 Trish  who writes and blogs from her treehouse in New Zealand, and of course my friend Louise who shared the memories with me.
Finally, thanks to Arlee,Tina, Shannon and the rest of the A to Z challenge team for all their hard work and organisation.
I hope many of you will continue to read my posts although they won't be everyday. Did I hear a sigh of relief from someone? Thank you and goodnight.

I'm leaving you with a musical trip through the seventies full of songs I had either forgotten or had no room to include, I hope you enjoy these last moments of my A to Z Challenge.


23 comments:

  1. gosh, I do remember those little creatures and I remember the Zip-e-dee-do dah song...now I'll be singing it all day! :) yes, we made it and wow! what a trip it was. I learned so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy Thanks for visiting. I thought May would never come.  I'm glad I made it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thefeatherednest30 April 2012 at 13:16

    Don't recall any of those little critters but I also used Zippety doo dah today.  Congrats on getting from A to Z in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Z is a bit like X ,limited things we can write about. Thanks for reading and congrats to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you still going to blog regularly now that A-Z has ended?  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zippy was fun along with his friend Bungle. But that video has made me quite maudlin. All those young faces... Elton John, Rod Stewart and I'd forgotten how cute Glen Campbell used to be. As for the Bee Gees I think they're among my top ever favourite singers and it's so sad to see Robin Gibb looking so very ill. 

    Love your little speech and thanks for the mention. I've enjoyed our friendly rivalry [it was friendly, wasn't it!] and even though we've been groaning, I know we're going to miss this so, as they say on Strictly Come Dancing, keeeep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog has brought up SO many memories for me throughout this challenge is has really been a treat visiting you during this challenge.  All those references to the 60's and 70's  were such fun to read about!  We grew up in the same generation and listened to the same music; enjoyed that a lot!  I hope you'll continue blogging after so we continue to visit each other! 
    Congratulations on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi JoJo, Yes, the ato z was just an interlude from my normal blogging which I'll certainly be still doing.Hope to see you back again and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I remember Rainbow more when my kids watched it. I think it the seventies I would have been to old for it. When you watch the video you're reminded of all those names. How could I have forgotten ,The Way We Were sung by Barbara Striesland? my all time favourite film ? Yes of course it was friendly, ha ha !  Yes we will miss it but I'm looking forward to my normal posts and have a few linned up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen, thanks for your lovely comments ,yes of course I will still be blogging I hope you'll continue to visit.If you read this can you leave your blog address as your link on your name doesn't work. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi it's me, sorry I didn't realize that when i was signed in under google it didn't work!
    werelivingafulllife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all these great memories. Congrats on finishing the challenge, it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jen, I did think it was you but it was the surname and no photo that made me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember all of those except Zippy. I don't know how I missed him! Thanks for sharing the memories and the music. Congratulation on completing the A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Inger, thanks for reading and well done to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Connie ,If you have a blog leave your address so I can visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brillian Anne, I will miss it, I've really enjoyed it, maybe a wee bit more than most because I was reliving my 60s and 70s through you!   Got a new lap top today and if it works better on this I intent working my way through the rest of the letters that I missed commenting on because of the iphone!   Lou

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked Zippy, but Bungle was my favourite. I discovered Bowie - and Ziggy - when I was at school and net Hubby. I married him for his CD collection :-)

    Well done on completing the challenge. When things quieten down I'm popping back to read the posts from before I was following you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Louise, Oh thats good you will be able to read then easier it is hard to comment on iphone. My normal posts are really quite readable too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Annalisa, yes Bungle was my favourite too, zippy was far too cheeky. It will be good to read everyones normal posts once we have time to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We made it through the challenge - congrats!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes  we did ! I hope you'll visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Cassam,
    Returning your kind visit to my blog - thanks for the lovely comment. Hope you enjoyed your coffee. 
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.