Saturday, 28 April 2012

Memories of the 60's & 70's Y is for Youth Clubs, Yo Yo and Yesterday Once More

Before I reached about fifteen most of my social life centred around our local church. I  went to Sunday School and the Girl's Brigade, we also had a children's choir, a rambling club, performed plays and went on day and week end trips. Those were our youth clubs. eventually we did manage to have a club at night where we played pool in one corner and had a record player in another.
  The children who lived around my streets didn't go to the church so I made a whole new group of friends there. This was where I did my growing up and eventually became a Sunday School teacher with the little ones.
Trinity Methodist Church. Pity about the bus stop.
 Every Christmas the Girl's Brigade and Boy's Brigade would hire a double decker bus and go to the Kelvin Hall for the yearly carnival and circus. It was such an exciting night and the bus would always drive around George Square on the way home so we could gaze in wonder at the Christmas lights. We had Halloween fancy dress parties and Christmas parties where we could dress in our finery. I don't know what I would have done without our local church, I met my friend Louise there  and I'm sure she would say she would have been lost without all the youth activities too.
The church today has it's own website, hosts a job club and computer club, a sign of the times we now live in.



YO YO  was another game that could be played on your own, either outside or inside .It could be put inside your pocket or schoolbag and taken to school. The yo yo was made of wood or tin with a long piece of string and with a flick of the wrist the yo yo could be wound up and down. There was a certain skill to keeping the momentum going as long as possible but that is why we had to practise everyday. Yo yos are still sold today but with bright flashing lights and whirly sounds.We would have loved that but were lucky if ours had more than one colour painted on it.

The record which caused the most controversy during the seventies was, "You're so Vain" by Carly Simon
She released it in 1972 and everyone wanted to know who she was singing about. Lots of name were mentioned, Mick Jagger, Kris Kristofferson, David Bowie, Cat Stevens and even David Cassidy. It has  certainly kept her in the news over the years until she finally divulged in 2011 that the song was about David Geffen. Who? Yes we were all disappointed after being kept hanging for all those years that it was not about a love affair gone wrong but her gay record producer who she thought was promoting Joni Mitchell's profile more than hers.  I still love the song.

1964. "You Really got me" by The Kinks
1965,"Yesterday" by The Beatles
1966, "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" by Dusty Springfield
1972, "You Wear It Well " by Rod Stewart
1973, Yesterday Once More" by The Carpenters
1978, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" by Neil Diamond also recorded by Barbara Streisand
1978, "You're The One That I Want" By John Travolta and Olivia Newton John From Film Grease

As the words tell the story of my reminiscing on this A-Z Challenge I am choosing "Yesterday Once More" by The Carpenters. I love Karen Carpenter's voice she was an amazing singer.


For memories of the fifties and sixties visit Rosalind Adam's blog at Writing in the Rain for her "Y"  in the
 A to Z Challenge.


31 comments:

  1. I loved Karen Carpenter too! Had all the albums but gave them to Oxfam years ago. Have rebought some on CD or as downloads but it's not the same.

    Interested to see you went to a Methodist Church. Not very common in Scotland. I also come from a Methodist family, in fact my father is a Minister. Originally from Greenock but lived in NE England when I was growing up. I know he has preached in that church at Shettleston since retiring and returning to Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anabel,What a small world we live in. I think I've been to the Greenock church and the one in Girvan and Largs or Troon all when I was young. We were in The Methodist Assoc Of Youth Clubs and went one year to their London Rally at the Albert Hall ,it was amazing, maybe you were there? The minister of my youth was Rev Robert McLure, he also preached at many different churches in fact he came from England just can't remember where at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anabel I think he came to Glasgow from Redcarr I'm not sure where that is but it rings a bell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Redcar is in Cleveland. He wouldn't be in the same District as my Dad but he might have known him. I'll ask next time I'm talking to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I thought it was about ....Shirley McLaines brother...the handsome one...getting so old I can't remember his name...not Elliott Gould...but ..and he married Annette Benning. Bah...him, my husband said it was about him....but my husband often asserts he knows something and later I find out differently. Geffen?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you mean Warren Beattie ?  Funny his name wasn't mentioned in the pieces I read but I think the song was linked to him. I think Carly was just trying to keep her mane in the news but it was a letdown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have many of those songs on my I-pod, funny how we remember and even like the same music!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They were great songs Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great memories here...I couldn't get on with the YoYo, but I did like the song You're so Vain...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're the one that I want, you are the one that I want, oo oo oo... That song is stuck in my head now, and I've got that hip-hitching thing going on too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these years I was told You're so vain was about Warren Beatty!  Who knew? lol  I had a yoyo...I remember when that fad went thru my elementary school like wildfire, at least once a year.  

    ReplyDelete
  12. thefeatherednest29 April 2012 at 01:36

    There's a trip down memory lane.   Thanks so much for dropping in on thefeatherednest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this post and I love Karen Carpenter.  Gosh yes I had a YoYo when I was at school, a bright coloured wooden one!   And Carly's song, Your so Vain.  We certainly have very similar tastes.  For a time I also went to a Youth Group, on Saturday nights we had volley ball, and one long weekend a year we had camp out.  Love these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like all of your Y songs save for Carly Simon's. I just never got into her singing no style.

    The neighbor kid just got a yo-yo and he is still wondering why there is no button on it. Ah, the tech generation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jeremy ,thanks for your comments, I liked Carly but we're allowed to like different things. I bet Yo yo's are not cheap to buy now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Diane, yes we do seem to have the same taste (good) in music. It was great going away with your friends when you were young with no parents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, nice of you to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes my hubby has just said that but the name came from an interview from Carly in 2011. Maybe she thought in her maturity it was best not to say unkind things about people , but producers were excempt! lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol yes I can see it ,Annalisa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Maria, I wasn't that good myself with yo yos, some people can do great tricks with them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jen, that's because the music was so good and we listened to it so much. I have them all on my ipod too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great memories. Our youth club was the highlight of my week. We had a table tennis table and a record player on which to play our huge collection of about three singles. :)
    I was convinced that You're So Vain was about James Taylor. What an anti-climax.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those songs you've listed are all absolutely unforgettable. I too loved Karen Carpenter's voice. On the video she looks so pale. If only we'd known what was going on! 

    I always thought You're so Vain was about an ex-boyfriend too. And as for yo-yos. Ours were made of wood and not even a bright colour. I think mine was a dull green colour. I'm guessing yours was made of plastic at the very least!!

    One more to go! We're going to miss it when it's over, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think they're must be about twenty men's name for the owner of "you're so vain" title. Glad you enjoyed the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes she was also very thin. I watched a film about her life story and it was so sad and she could still be singing today,no one tops her, such a distinctive voice. We had wooden and tin yo yo's don't think we had plastic ones. After a few days of rest we will probably miss this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm taking a last minute blog jog to meet some new friends from the A-Z challenge list. Following :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Martha thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aww, I went to the Girls Brigade in St. James's Church! I don't think I ever attended Kelvin Hall with them, though. My favourite part was getting flute lessons from this amazing old man beforehand. I wish I could remember his name!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're too young to remember the Kelvin Hall when it had the circus and carnival,it was the highlight of our year. Is that St James church in Pollok? I live not far from there. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That time was the happiest time of my live and I think helped to shape the person that I am today.   going through the Sunday School, Rosebuds,, Girls Brigade and then like you to be a Sunday School Teacher, and then a BB Captain for the best part of 15 years!   I always though your so vain was about James Taylor!  Lou

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes they were great times.I forgot about the rosebuds and those lovely wee red dresses and red berets. Theres's so many names for Carly's song but the final name was in an interview sshe gave last year ,I think it's just all made up and its a song about no one.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.