Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Memories of 60's & 70's P is for Platforms, Peever and Peyton Place

It's time for one of those "we had them first" moments. Who didn't love Platform shoes? They came in all colours and all sizes from two inches high to maybe six inches or higher if you were a member of the band Slade or Elton John.
I even wore a pair of white platform sandals on my wedding day.
 It felt good being inches taller. Platforms are so good because both the front of your foot and the heel are being elevated at the same time. The young men of the day wore them too although not quite so high as ours. I did try on my daughter's platforms one day, thinking that as I wore them once I could wear them again. I found out  that I definitely can't, in any shape or form wear high heels anymore.

Here is a photo of my wedding platforms. I'm not wearing wide trousers just elegantly climbing out of the car.










Beds for peever were a bit like this
Peever, a game we often played outside, sometimes called, beds. We chalked beds onto the pavement and the peever was an empty shoe polish tin filled with small stones to make it heavy. We drew large rectangle with a curve at the top with numbers from one to ten and kicked the peever into number one then hopped while pushing it along with our foot to number ten. We couldn't allow our foot or the peever touch any lines or we were out. The beds lasted as long as the weather stayed dry as the rain washed them away. When my daughter was little I showed her how to play the game but neighbours did not like the children chalking on the pavements (sidewalks) No wonder the old games are dying out.






Plainy, clappy, never heard of them? I'm talking about a game played with two balls the size of tennis balls against a wall , we called it doublers or balls. Plainy was just playing the two balls against the wall. Clappy was clapping hands in between, burly was twirling  round and catching the ball. The ball went under our right leg, then left leg and round our back. We would play with one hand, with three balls and kneeling, anything that would challenge us. As we played we sang.
 The big ship sailed down the alley, alley o', one two three o'leary and I've a lover in America I've a lover in Dundee ie,ie , are the only ones I can remember but there were lots. We really were a talented lot.
Borrowing an old nylon stocking from our mum we put a ball in the foot and tied it in then we tied the stocking around an ankle and jumped over it as it twirled round.

When it rained we didn't stay indoors, we played in the closes (entrance) of the tenements we lived in. Sometimes we played with our Paper cut out dolls. We bought them in the form of a book and they all had their own names, sometimes the paper dolls would be a whole wedding party,bride, bridesmaids etc.
 The Bunty comic always had a paper doll cut out with clothes on the last page. I used to glue mine onto cardboard to make it last longer.

Panda  eyes. Not the dark, smokey eyes we see today but white like a panda. There were two types of white eyeshadow, one was a thick white cream and one was called shiner, a lighter, shiny white. We put the shiner above our eyelid and below it. At that time many of the pop stars wore the same type like,
 Marc Bolan, David Bowie and models like Twiggy.
 My mum thought It looked horrendous and wouldn't let me wear the thick white eyeshadow, I was only allowed to use the shiner. I really wish I had a photo of myself with panda eyes to show you, now that would have had you laughing.

Peyton Place, My mum watched this American soap opera every week. The announcer would say at the beginning,"The continuing story of Peyton Place." I was too young to really follow it but watched the parts where Mai Farrow and Ryan O'Neil appeared. They were boyfriend and girlfriend when it began but like all soap operas nothing went smooth for them. They both later went on to star in the film, Love Story, known for it's sad ending and the words,"Love means never having to say you're sorry."




Did you wear platforms? Maybe you still do today. Did you play peever,or call it hopscotch?

For a glimpse of life beginning with the letter P in the fifties and sixties have a look at Rosalind Adam's blog
Writing in the Rain

27 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I am one of those women who can't wear heels of any sort - it hurts my back. but your wedding sandals are just gorgeous. I love that photograph.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen. I can't wear them now either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to remember that I was pregnant when platforms were in fashion so, no, I never wore them. I've never heard of the word peever but I certainly used to play ball. I'd throw two balls against a wall for hours. I'd vary it with a bounce on the floor, a clap, a throw one ball in the air and one against the wall. The variations were endless and compulsive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosalind,you could always give platforms a try now that they're back in stlye. I think peever is probably a Scottish word you may have played hopscotch it's much the same. Love playing balls could play it for hours.

      Delete
  4. I didn't wear platforms either I'm so tall to begin with... 5'9. And what you call peever is something like or may even be the same as what we call potsy or some called it hopscotch here in the US, I played that most every single day as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I suppose they weren't so great if you were tall. Yes it's probably the same as hopscotch, you could even play it on your own.

      Delete
  5. Well, had one pair of platforms and just couldn't ove fast enough in them so it was the last pair I ever had and NO, never heard of peevers...interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha HA , That's what I would be like in platforms now. Maybe you played hopscotch? Think it's much the same.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing new anymore - it must have been amazing when platforms first came out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes you're right everything is just rehashed. I still have more stlyes to come that are copies of even earlier times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never played those games or wore platform shoes. I had a doll once, when I was a toddler, that was one of the very first walking dolls. This was in the mid-60's. I couldn't lift it so I pulled the head off and carried it around by the hair. I named it "Reetee", which my mom realized was actually 'Rita' from Peyton Place, which she watched. It bummed her out watching me toddle about with a severed head yelling 'REEEEE TEEEEE'. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a doll like that but I wouldn't have taken the head off lol scary child!

      Delete
  10. If peever is hopscotch, then yes, I was a MASTER! My little bits school yard has a couple of hopscotch "boards" painted on the pavement, I've had a lot of fun teaching them how to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it's similar just a different layout.

      Delete
  11. I so hated platforms, glad they're history---and I flinch everytime they make a comeback.

    Look forward to the rest of your challenge run…can’t believe we’ve had 16 days already!
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah we can't all like the same thing. Thanks for dropping by when you're so busy.

      Delete
  12. I wore platforms and played hopscotch. Not together! the first platforms were less than an inch and caused a stir by the time I was wearing 2" ones people were used to them. I think I only have one pic of me in them thankfully!
    Great AtoZ Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there were always in the news for people falling off them!

      Delete
  13. Hi Ros,You could always give platforms a try now  they're back in fashion. Maybe peever is a Scottish word it's like Hopscotch. Loved playing balls kept me busy for hours,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jen, yes very similar to hopscotch

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes you did have to practice Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, everything is just a copy of what went before.  Our parents used to think we were mad wearing platforms and there were a lot of injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted a doll like that but I wouldn't have taken the head off it , scary child! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes Jen same as hopscotch just a different layout.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I loved them then ,not anymore though.Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lol! I know parents and older people hated them.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.