Friday, 13 April 2012

Memories of 60's & 70's L is for Leo,Lulu and Louise.

Leo Sayer  first appeared in 1973 dressed in  Pierrot style costume which  intrigued everyone. We wanted to know what he really looked like. He had said he would remove his costume when he had "made it" and fortunately his single ,"The Show Must Go On" went to number one in the UK charts. He continued to have seven top ten hits in the UK.
Leo began as a songwriter and co wrote with David Courtney. Roger Daltry liked his songs so much that he recorded a few, but he is for another post.
It has taken me so long to write this because I have been stuck on you tube listening to all his hits song and being transported back in time. His songs were really good.
Before you all rush to you tube you can have a listen to his first song here.


He really looked like this..



Lulu was a lass from Dennistoun in Glasgow about fives minutes from where I lived. She began her pop career at fifteen when she was signed by a London agent and moved to the big smoke. Shout, The boat that I Row, and I'm a tiger, are just a few of her hits. She won The Eurovison Song Contest in 1969 with Boom Bang a Bang.
 Lulu starred in To Sir With Love  alongside Sidney Poitier. The title song which she sang became a number one hit both in the UK and America.

My mum worked in a factory that made strawberry baskets along with Lulu's mum and her auntie. She told me her mum was very talented and everyone would divide the work amongst themselves to free her to entertain them with her singing. Lulu was christened wearing a little matinee jacket which my mum knitted, you can imagine how delighedt I was as a young girl to hear that. Mum remembers Lulu as a tiny three year old being taught to sing the song, "The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone" while dressed in a skeleton costume.
I never managed to meet Lulu although my mum and aunt met her and her mum while shopping in town, I was so mad I wasn't there.

Her aunt did get me a signed photo which when I was about eight or nine was one of my treasured possessions.
Lulu is still beautiful today and has recently appeared on Strictly Come Dancing. She has certainly kept her youthful looks.
Lulu,taking part in Strictly 


                                                                    LOUISE
           
Louise was not famous during the sixties or seventies, but she was my best friend and all the memories I am reliving from A to Z are part of her childhood too. That's why I can't pass by the letter L without giving her a mention. I met Louise at Sunday School I can't remember what age I was but we didn't become good friends until we went to Secondary School mostly because she didn't live near me. I wrote a poem about our friendship Friend For Keeps    and I posted about our first holiday on our own  Here      
We lived in each others houses at weekends. Louise talks as much as I do so there was never a dull moment, I don't think we ever slept.
We went through the trials of being a teenager, confided in one another and dried each others tears. As the styles changed we wore mini, midi and maxi dresses. Low heels, high heels, wedges and platforms. Loved the same pop stars and argued over who love them most. We both coveted the clothes and lifestyle of her big sister Caroline who was nearly five years older than us. We wanted to be her, she seemed to have such an exciting time, going to bars and clubs and her clothes and make up were amazing. Like all young people we wanted to grow up too fast.
I know Louise reads this, so thank you Louise for sharing it all with me,we had a blast!

Louise on the left.Same hairstyles and tops, just different colours












21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of L's! Lulu is still gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she just gets better looking each year,How does she do it?

      Delete
  2. This was a lovely imformative post...I to grew up in the 60's era..they where great times..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were.Thanks for stopping by Judith.

      Delete
    2. Judith I hope you come back to read this.Do you have a blog? Because I can't find it. If you have put the link on here and I'll visit. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Lulu looks better every year, I think! What a lovely tribute to your friend Louise :) I'm sure she'll be thrilled when she reads it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thanks Catherine I do hope so.

      Delete
  4. There's nothing more important than a good friend and Louise sounds like a really good one. I do admire Lulu but I wish she didn't try to talk with a London accent. I preferred her Scottish accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about Lulu she can swith from Scottish to London at the drop of a hat, John Barrowman does the same he speaks American/Canadian and the swithes to his real Scottish accent.

      Delete
  5. Louise has read this and is thrilled and currently in tears! As you say Anne we lived in each others pockets since the day we met! Loving these blogs brings back so many happy memories thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! You managed to work the comments thing! I'm so happy you read this Louise and it means I'll be expecting more comments. I still have to get to Z so many more memories to come.

      Delete
  6. Leo!!!!!! I heard he was disappointed that Three Dog Night tweaked "Must let the show go on". I first remember his music from 1975, "Long Tall Glasses". LOVE that song. I also had the album you posted, Endless Flight. "How much love" was my fave from it. I think 'when I need you' was the big hit.

    Wasn't Lulu married to Maurice Gibb of the BeeGees for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JoJo I've just been replying to your other comments. I had really forgotton about a lot of his music until I looked on youtube, it was so good. Yes ,When I need you was brilliant.I don't remember,How Much Love but Ill go bck to you tube, lol
    Yes Lulu married Maurice Gibb and then John Frieda the hairdresser and had her son to him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O. My. Goodness. I have NOT thought of Leo Sayer in YEARS! YEARS! Wow...blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either but..he's good!

      Delete
  9. Hi Cassam, my Lil man, who is 10, loves Leo especially the 1975 hit, "When I need you."

    I've been reading through your A-Z posts and each one puts a smile on my face.
    From jubbly to Follyfoot, a lot of them bring back such great memories of my childhood.

    Great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lily, how lovely to hear that.Your lil man has good taste. I'm glad I helped bring some memories back for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this one. I've always loved Leo. He's so talented! Glad you included Louise.
    Just rememberd why I need to catch up.. I was off sick last week, my posts were prescheduled and I struggled to read any..
    Well done with all your AtoZ posts. I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leo has always been involved in show business but he stopped being commercial as he got older.I never realised at the time he was so small. Hope you're feeling better now.I scheduled some of my posts at the beginning but they caught up with me,I think I'm just two letters ahead. Thanks for reading Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh...Lulu

    Thanks for the memory. I've seen To Sir with Love a number of times. Her singing of the title song is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That song always make me tears as I remember my school days.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.