Thursday, 12 April 2012

Memories of 60's & 70's K is for Klackers, Knee high Boots and Kingco

Knee high patent boots were " dead mod" as we would say in the early seventies also "gemie"  (said with a Glasgow accent) and fab which meant we all wanted a pair. The best kind laced right up the front. I had a pair of purple ones and kept the patent leather shiny by rubbing some lard into them as that's what mum had in her kitchen, slabs of lard (cooking fat) we didn't have vegetable or olive oil in bottles, in fact the only time we used olive oil was when we had sore ears and mum would warm a teaspoon and put some in our ears followed with a little plug of cotton wool.
Back to the knee high boots. They were also called Go Go Boots and some were just like shoes and the leg of the boot was a satin material which clung to the legs, they had been with us from the mid sixties and into the seventies. The  models and popstars were wearing them  on magazine covers which made us covet them even more.



Klackers or Klick Klacks was a brilliant new game that we all became addicted to. We played with them on our way to school, in school and walked home again still playing with them. Our parent's were driven to distraction with the constant click, click all day long.
Klackers were two acrylic balls on two pieces of string or plastic wire joined at the top, you put your finger through a loop at the top and click clacked the balls together and if you built up enough  momentum they would click at the top as well as the bottom.
Then the accidents started happening, knuckles were bruised, wrists were broken, black eyes were had by some and our precious Klackers were banned.
First they were banned at school, then they were banned at home and finally they were removed form sale.
We were all devastated and of course continued to use the set we had without out parents permission, until  they saw our bruised knuckles.

The strange thing is there are being sold on Amazon today.
                                                           


                                                    The New Kingo

 I think I was about twelve years old when I saw my first supermarket. It was called The Kingco and it was amazing. No more standing in a long queue in the local Dairy waiting for an assistant to serve you. When my mum sent me for the shopping she would write a list of what she needed, I would hand it over the counter to the assistant and she would fill my bag with everything that was listed. I would then have to go to the butchers and the fruit shop and repeat the process.
What thrilled me most about our new supermarket was pushing a trolley, I felt really grown up. The variety of food on display was mind blowing. I had a stammer as a child and shopping in the supermarket took some pressure off me from having to ask for anything, another reason to like it.
The downside was that, Charlotte, Francis and Peter the baker and assistants in the small local dairy  who were lovely people always laughing and joking and slipping an extra scone or cake into your bag, eventually  had to closed down their shop that had served the area for countless years and make way for progress.

26 comments:

  1. Eeeek my ears felt funny reading about the warm olive oil and cotton plugs! My mum used to cook with lard up until I was about 10! I'm sure everything tasted better back then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your right there is more flavour in lard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I've forgotten all about Klackers. No body's having fun until a eye gets poked out. lol Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Fellow Challenger, from #401-Rockin'Chair Reflections! I still cook with animal fats. Those manufactured oils just clog the arteries and make heart doctors very rich. The body can't do a thing with it. Loved the Klackers, hated the boots -- well, Nancy Sinatra's singing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharlene! Oh I loved the boots!

      Delete
  5. I have a picture of you walking down the street followed by every dog in the neighbourhood sniffing at your lard-covered boots! I remember Klackers but was a bit too old for them myself. I can't remember which supermarket came first round here but it wasn't called Kingo. It might have been Woolco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you had me laughting there Ros.

      Delete
  6. haha, I so remember klackers and yes, we got our knuckles smacked quite a few times and dang, it did hurt...and the boots? Didn't we all want a pair? Well, at least I did and all I got were my majorette boots with the big white pom pom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my pair were a hand me down from an older cousin.

      Delete
  7. Hi Tracy it was my friend who reminded me of Klackers. It's amazing the things you don't remember until someone else mentions them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Klackers were banned in my school almost immediately. My parents wouldn't get them for me...this was in around 1970. Those are some groovy boots though!!!

    Visiting from A-Z! :)
    http://tahomabeadworks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes They didn't last long at my school either,spoilsports!

      Delete
  9. Wow I remember those klackers, i was pretty good at them. As i remember all the parents HATED them for the noise! And those boots, wow! Mom would have walked me right out the door if I paired them with a short skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha ! I changed into my short skirts at my friends,mum never knew.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Anne. What a great post again. Do you realise your blog posts could turn into anything and it is a great resource for anyone doing research on the 70's. Thank you for sharing. Sorry, I'm not visiting as often as I'd like to. The kids are on hols! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Guuye you're too kind. I don't know how you manage to do any posts at all with the children being at home,I'm finding it hard enough.

      Delete
  11. Oh how I LOVED Klackers! I had forgotten all about them. Of course now I can't believe my parents let me play with those things. They hurt like crazy when they hit me...don't ask. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound painful! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Oh, yeah, I remember Nancy Sinatra and loved singing that song. I was in my 40's in the 70's. (born in 1933) I don't remember the Klackers. and never knew anything about Kingco. There is a Costco in business now. But I've never been there, either. Best wishes to you. Regards, Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grammy ,yes It's a great song.Thanks for reading I'm going to stop by your blog next.

      Delete
  13. They were called go go boots? I have a knee high pair, but they are fake leather. Love all this stuff I am learning on your blog.


    Sonia Lal, A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sonia. Yes thats what they were called. Dancers in discos who danced on stage or in cages were called Go Go dancers the boots must have been called after them.

      Delete
  14. PS To answer your question on my blog about the beach logs, they are Douglas firs and western cedars, among others, that blow down in storms, float down the rivers and out to the Pacific Ocean, to be worn and tossed like driftwood by the water, then pushed back on shore by high tides and storms. It's very dangerous and they will kill you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woh! Thanks for anwering my query.It's amazing! I hope some people who read this vist your blog your photographs are great.

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much Cassam!! That means a lot!! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.