Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Memories of 60's & 70's J is for Jackie and a Jubbly

One day every week there was an extra spring in my step on my way home from school. It was my day for stopping into our tiny, local newsagent to buy my Jackie magazine. Frank who owned the shop would be taking it from under the counter as I walked in the door, he said he could set his watch by me. The magazine was ordered for me, so when the delivery came Frank would write my name on the top and put it on a shelf under the counter. Most people did this who bought any type of magazine. My mother ordered the People's Friend, my brother the Dandy, Beano and Topper and I had the Bunty, Judy, Mandy and School Friend. Those were all childhood comics but when I started reading the Jackie I knew I was growing up.
 It wasn't a comic it was a proper magazine with glossy paper.
This is where we found out the latest in fashion, beauty and gossip about our favourite pop stars. There was a problem page called Cathy and Claire, where you read everyone problems and discovered they're were lots of girls with broken hearts looking for answers.
Stories were told with still photos with speech bubbles coming from their mouths. There were full page photos of pop stars, film stars, and TV stars. Each week there would be a special centre page double photo, sometimes it would come in three parts to give you a large poster which meant it would take three weeks to finally have your poster.
In 1972 there was a special edition printed to mark the first UK tour by David Cassidy, as readers will already know I was crazy about him so just as well I had my copy ordered and placed under the counter by Frank for safe keeping because it sold out.

The Jackie was published from 1964 until 1995 and was published in Dundee, Scotland but the address to write to was given as in London to make the magazine look cool. London office then posted all the letters to Dundee to be dealt with.
 Dame Jacqueline Wilson the children's author was a journalist with the magazine. She was just seventeen at the time and started by sending articles to the publishers for a new teenage magazine that hadn't yet been published, they liked her work and she was given the job.One day the bosses told her the new magazine was to be named after her. She said she doesn't really know if they were being truthful as the name Jackie  was very popular because  of Jackie Kennedy who had become a style icon. According to Wikipedia this is an urban myth but my information came from an interview given by Dame Jacqueline to The Guardian newspaper in 2009. Unless, of course, you know different.


A few years ago my daughter bought me a double Jackie CD full of all the hits of the seventies  and a booklet with clips of stories from the magazine. I indulged myself in the nostalgia.











There is even a book on Amazon containing all letters sent to the Cathy and Claire page. I wonder if young teenagers today  have the same type of problems or would laugh at ours.

 At same time as buying my magazine I would often buy a Jubbly which was an orange drink in a triangular carton which had been frozen.It cost 4 old pennies which in todays money is about 2p. It lasted much longer then ice lollies and if you threw it against a wall or bashed it with something you then had lovely crushed ice to slurp through a straw which children today call a Slush Puppy.

17 comments:

  1. Jackie and jubblies!I loved them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.I love your blog title that's what I'm doig all the time just now.

      Delete
  2. Awww I was a "Bunty" girl :) I also loved Jubblies, but used to get them in the form of frozen cartons of juice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Bunty and Judy I used to read my daughters too before she did.

      Delete
  3. that was just lovely! i love reading history of pop culture!
    nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never a particularly bit fan of Jackie. I remember having a comic delivered called something like Toytown but don't know what was in it. I do remember Jubblies. I used to suck the colour out of them and be left with a chunk of white ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember doing that with jubblies too. Ha ha!

      Delete
  5. Lovely to meet you Cassam - thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a fan of Misty comics, like you I loved the walk to the newsagents to get each copy. I never really got in to Jackie, I think it's because I'd 'borrowed' my dad's library tickets by then and had discovered Jackie Collins ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jackie Collins was far more racier than Jackie magazine.

      Delete
  8. I love reading about memories. They make up such a big part of who we are. I used to read a teen magazine and I loved the advice columns. I agree that the kids of today would probably snicker at our problems back then.
    (I love the picture of you and your grandbaby.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Jewels for stopping by and yes she is a wee poppet.

      Delete
  9. Lovely post of memories. I loved reading the teen mags when I was a kid to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane.I still read them when my kids were young.

      Delete
  10. there wasn't any calculators when I was at school no laptops no colour television the only television we had was black & white & we watched them thru a large magnifying glass , I pods, no mobile phones,4 pints of beer for a pound petrol was 5 shillings a gallon now its £ 1.30 a litre now its £6.50 a gallon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.