Tuesday, 10 April 2012

I is for Imagine.

What was the first thing that entered your head when you read this title? Maybe many of you will think like me and say, "John Lennon"
John Lennon wrote and performed "Imagine" It was released in the UK as a single in 1975 and it only reached number six in the pop charts. It did slightly better in America reaching number three in the Billboard Charts and even number one in Canada.
It's one of those songs that when I hear it I have goosebumps running up and down my arms. It's like a prayer and what we would like the world to be, peaceful and all in harmony with each other.

John's inspiration for the song came from a book by Yoko Ono called Grapefruit. It was an artist's book containing "Event Scores" which I can't even begin to understand.
She wrote this...
                                                      Cloud Piece
                                             Imagine the clouds dripping.
                                             Dig a hole in your garden
                                             To put them in.

John Lennon was then inspired to write...
                                              
                                                       Imagine there's no heaven
                                                       It's easy if you try
                                                       No hell below us
                                                       Above us only sky
                                                       Imagine all the people
                                                       Living for today...
                                                       Imagine there's no countries
                                                       It isn't hard to do
                                                       Nothing to kill or die for
                                                       And no religion too
                                                       Imagine all the people
                                                       Living life in peace...
                                                       You may say I'm a dreamer
                                                       But I'm not the only one
                                                       I hope someday you'll join us
                                                       And the world will be as one
                                                       Imagine no possessions
                                                       I wonder if you can
                                                       No need for greed or hunger
                                                       A brotherhood of man
                                                       Imagine all the people
                                                       Sharing all the world...
                                                       You may say I'm a dreamer
                                                        But I'm not the only one
                                                        I hope someday you'll join us
                                                        And the world will live as one

After his  horrific murder in 1980, Imagine reached and stayed at number one for four weeks in the UK charts during January 1981. His song has been recorded by over a hundred artists including Joan Baez,Seal and Pink. It has been named in Rolling Stone as the third greatest song of all time being beat by Bob Dylan (Like a Rolling Stone) who were first and Rolling Stones (I Can't  Get No Satisfaction) second.
In 2002 The Guinness Book of World Record  British Hit Singles named it number two just behind Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's sad that it took his death to give him a number one hit here in the UK. The world is not any better now than when John wrote his lyrics, countries are still at war and some people still don't have the food they need. Have a listen to  "Imagine" and I'll leave you with a title of another Lennon song  which became his mantra ..." Give peace a chance"

21 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful and moving song. The other sad thing about it is that I fear things are getting worse. This, of course, was before the Twin Towers attack and all the hatred that has become apparent since then. If only people would truly give peace a chance but I don't think they ever will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosalind, No it'll probably never happen but how sad.

      Delete
  2. Hello fellow challenger!

    I have always loved this song, it's very powerful, and the piano just adds so much. I always wanted to learn how to play it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen, thanks for stopping by I hope you're enjoying the challenge.

      Delete
  3. Hello Anne,
    Interesting post. I remember seeing John Lennon playing the piano over and over again on the news the day he died when I was 7. I've seen his memorial in Central Park, New York. The Dakota building where he was shot can be seen from the memorial and it's all a bit eerie. Wonderful lyrics-wouldn't it be great to be able to write like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would be Anita although I don't think much of Yoko's lyrics.

      Delete
  4. Lovely choice for your 'I' post. This song is such a classic, an all time favourite and no one makes music like this anymore. Something that really has meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it has lovely words.

      Delete
  5. It's pretty sad that the death of anything opens people's eyes. Wish we'd always know what we had before it goes away. Nice post.


    Elizabeth

    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the case isn't it? You don't know how much something means until you don't have it.

      Delete
  6. Great post-- check out Gavin Castleton's cover of this song (I think you can find it on Youtube :P). It's a beautiful song by itself, of course, but I love how it inspires musicians who carry it through different musical styles and open up the lyrics/ideas to different fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June ,yes I will check it out and your blog too.

      Delete
  7. A few minutes ago, I read a blog with Imagination for the word of the day. My comment was that I immediately thought of John Lennon's IMAGINE. I couldn't remember the words though!
    Thank you for sharing his beautiful sentiment.
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com Theme: A World of Crime

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Gail , I though just hearing the word would bring John Lennon's name to mind for many people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was never a fan of the Beatles and I can’t say why… for some reason they didn’t strike a chord with me… but it was always his wife, Yoko Ono, that struck me as an outstanding person and still does because she is such a remarkable woman.
    Kay
    @1_Lovelife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Yoka has a lot more to her now but back then she came accross as being just weird and everyone blamed her for breaking up the Beatles so she was not very well liked in the seventies

      Delete
  10. An inspirational word for the letter. Love it. This is sadly too true: "The world is not any better now than when John wrote his lyrics, countries are still at war and some people still don't have the food they need." I like to imagine that one day the world WILL be better.

    Thank you for the heartfelt post. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. It certainly was the first thing I thought of.  That was and still is a beautiful song!  and the words every single bit as relevant today!  sad but true, hopefully though in our lifetime.....................    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the song is timeless,John will always be remembered for it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.