Monday, 9 April 2012

H is for Hippies Hotpants and Horrifying Hairstyles.

                            My memories of Hippies 
When I was about ten years old my aunt took me on a two week trip to London, it was the farthest I had ever been away from home. I can vividly remember seeing hippies everywhere but especially around Piccadilly Circus and Carnaby Street.
They were very colourful, had long hair and headbands around their head and wore long Afghan coats trimmed with fur. The men usually had beards and moustaches. I was a bit scared of these people at first as there were so many of them but my aunt told me as they professed peace and love  they were okay. Some had flowers painted on their faces and wore flowers in their hair. I remember being handed a flower by one and another gave me lovebeads, I guess they though I was cute, I thought having a flower in my hair and lovebeads around my neck made me a hippie.
 Carnaby street was the one place I wanted to see, never mind Buck house. All the stylish people and pop stars shopped there. When I arrived it was very busy and noisy but exciting as well. I could hardly believe I was in the famous Carnaby Street. I bought postcards with the street name on them and put them up on my bedroom wall at home. After my holiday my friends all wanted to know if I had been to Carnaby street and saw the hippies. The Beatles who were the most popular group at that time even ditched their suits, grew moustaches and wore their hair much longer. They wore hippy clothes and John Lennon had "love ins" with Yoko Ono. Peace, love and flower power became the words of the day.



 This was me in London in 1967, The summer of love.


At London Zoo in my home made dress and plastic bangle.





                                                                HOTPANTS

Not shorts...Hotpants
In the late sixties and seventies hotpants were so frowned upon by our parents. I suppose they thought it was like going out to the dancing in shorts. I had green corduroy pants with a bib attached they were made for me by my aunt, I thought I looked so good. At that time we wore or hair in two bunches at each side of our face tied with elastic bands  then  hair bobbles started coming into the shops and we ditched the elastic bands. I see hotpants are back in fashion, but...we had them first!



                                         HAIRCUTS

In the early seventies in my first and second year at secondary school the feathered haircut was what we all wanted. Our mothers were horrified as it entailed chopping your hair to bits and leaving feathery bits of hair like rats tail down the back of your neck.It was cut short on top a bit like a mullet cut and we thought we were the bee's knees! If you read my post on F is for Follyfoot you'll have noticed that Dora had her hair feathered, it looked like this.

In 1976 Charlie's Angles gave us a new type of TV programme with three feisty girls as the stars. It encouraged a popular hairstyle for girls with long hair called The Farrah Fawcett cut. Long and curly, girls could toss their curls over their shoulders and pretend to be her.
                                           
In the same year the new cut for shorter hair was  the Purdy Cut. This came about when Joanna Lumley joined The New Avengers on TV and became who every girl wanted to be so we had our hair cut like her. Sad to say it still didn't make us look like her, she was so beautiful and still is today.

Did you have your hair feathered? Maybe you had a Purdy or Farrah Fawcett style?

43 comments:

  1. Love the haircuts; I've always wanted a Farrah Fawcett do! My mum spent her teenage years in the 60's. She was a "Mod". All the previous decades seem so interesting compared to now! Maybe it'll take 30/40/50 years to put a proper personality stamp on this decade though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think then you had to have a certain style or you weren't in fashion.Now you can wear long or shorts skirts and anything goes but I think that can be quite liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love H.
    Great post. Love the pics not so sure about the hairstyles..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynne, ther's a few letters I really don't like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the Dorothy Hamill. Not a good cut for curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of her but googled and found out she was a skater.I liked her hair.

      Delete
  6. LOVED this post as it brought back so many Hippie memories for me! ☺ My aunt was a Hippie...much to the chagrin of my grandparents. I loved spending time with her, because she was so different from everyone else in the family.

    Never wore the Hotpants, but definitely had the feathered hair. Ooh, the hours I spent mastering that hairstyle. Really enjoyed your post. Looking forward to more of your A to Z posts. Happy Monday! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larri, I'm happy I brought some memories to you. Your auntiea was a hippy, woh! That must have been great. I loved my hotpants and my feathered hair but when I saw photos of my hair like that it wasn't so good.

      Delete
  7. They say everybody has a decade that they should have been born in, for me it was the seventies. I was nearly twenty years too late but I can easily imagine myself as a hippie (though in long floaty numbers, rather than the hotpants!). I just looked in the mirror and realised my newly trimmed haircut has more than a hint of the Farrah Fawcett about it! Thanks for sharing!
    Amy (AtoZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the long hippy clothes and Farrah's hair but mine was never long enough and far too thick.

      Delete
  8. I had a trouser suit of deep purple flowered cotton and I wore it with bells around my neck. Just seeing all those flowers on buses and clothes brings back the memory of that outfit. I never wore hotpants but loved my little mini skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be coming to trouser suits,but I forgot about the cowbells! How could I forget that the hippies all had them round their necks my aunt thought it was so funny. Loved mini skirts too.

      Delete
  9. I had those haircuts you featured, and one that looked like a birds nest! Used to go through so much hairspray.
    Never saw any real hippies though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I bet you looked lovely as long as you didn't go near a naked flame,all that hairspray!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for bringing back memories...great post! To travel at 10, what a blessing!


    Eat Live Move: Intuitive Eating from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it,thanks for reading.

      Delete
  11. LOL I've never even heard of this hair cuts. The last one, the Purdy Cut, is pretty. I've seen the second one on old tv shows but never knew it had a name.


    Sonia Lal, A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must be too young! lol thanks for reading.

      Delete
  12. Those hotpants were certainly something!
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha it was a crazy era
    I think it's funny that those aweful colors are coming back
    never could cut my hair - at one point I'm sure I had the Farrah look
    Hope you are enjoying A to Z challenge
    I'm here at Moondustwriter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown Yes all the old styles are just being re visited again.

      Delete
  14. Boy, this sure brought back memories. The closest I came to being a hippie was sporting long straight blonde hair (we ironed it to make it extra straight and shiny) and playing guitar and singing with my friends. (We called it a hootenanny.) I wore hot pants, too ... with go-go boots, of course. One of my daughters-in-law asked me about those boots not long ago, and wanted to know if I still had them. I told her they went-went a long time ago. Happy A-Zing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Go Go boots you'll have to read my next post. Yes remeber ironing hair before starightners were invented.Great to relive memories.

      Delete
  15. Aww, that photo of you at the zoo is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the hippy style and even to this day I wish I looked as good as they did. It must have been an amazing time to walk around London. Great memories!

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gina it was amazing. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  17. Ha ha, I just love reading about this interesting period. You write it well with your photos and videos. I can imagine you what it was like then. Thank you, Anne. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for keeping reading. Am I giving you a British social education? lol

      Delete
  18. Hippies, hotpants and haircuts, fabulous choices for H-day.
    I wasn't a hippy but it is always fun to read about them. I did have hotpants!
    I followed you over from Arlee Bird's blog to check out your theme for the month! I luv it.
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com Theme: A World of Crime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail thanks for commenting.We loved hotpants and there are being wore by young girls today.

      Delete
  19. I didn't do the hip things when it was hip. I feel more like a flower child now, in my 60s. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shark bytes ,thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  20. You just took me on a trip down memory lane...well done! Just stopping by from the challenge. Enjoy the blogging...
    http://4ambassadorsofchrist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm glad I brought back memories.

      Delete
  21. This post made me smile. I remember all this fondly (except for the hotpants that never quite suited me!). That hair! Great trip to the past.
    Rhia from Five Minute Piece for Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhia, oh yes remember ..the hair!

      Delete
  22. You are right- hot pants are back in style. My daughter had four pairs of them, but she only wears them for dance and roller derby (thank god) so I don't have to worry about her going out to the store in them. She says they're the most comfortable thing for working out. I guess I'll just have to believe her, because there's no way I'm wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great memories...I wanted to be a hippie but 1) no guts thus no glory and 2) by 21 I had two kids. LOL! Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never wore hot pants! didn't have the figure for it!  But I can well remember my first hair cut done in a proper hairdressers think it was call Cut n Dry in Sauchiehall Street, one of my big sisters friends Lee worked there and I got a page boy I thought I was beautiful and very stylish, wans't like that the first time I washed it though! lol    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember that ! You going to cut ndried I was a bit envious as it was too expensive for me.lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. God I really wanted a Purdey but my Mum wouldn't let me!!!!! I've linked you up to my weekly nostalgia Linky this week as it's all about hairstyle memories!  Hope that's ok! Find it here 
    http://saveeverystep.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/a-life-told-in-hair-lifes-a-journey-nostalgia-link-up-week-30/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.