Friday, 6 April 2012

F is For Follyfoot Farm

From 1971 until 1973  Follyfoot was shown on UK television and I watched it religiously. Based on the books, Follyfoot and Cobbler's Dreams by Monica Dickens. It was filmed in Yorkshire and told the adventures of Steve and Dora and all who lived at Follyfoot including the wonderful horses. The sizzling attraction between Dora and Steve made us watch every week in a will they? or won't they? scenario.

The theme tune was The Lightning Tree, and  as the whole moral of the show was, as long as the tree stood tall even though it had been struck by lightning there was hope for everyone.
 They had to find a tree that looked like it had been damaged and blackened.
One was found, dug it up and replanted  on the farm they were using for the series.
The strangest thing happened the replanted  tree started to grow and sprout green buds.
When the script called for a shot of the tree someone was sent out to cut the buds from it.  I do hope the tree survived when filming ended.
Here is the first verse from the theme song and I would love someone to say they remember it.

Some readers have asked if the lightning tree is still alive and well.  In 2010 it was the 40th anniversary of Follyfoot and a group of fans visited the site, they found a tree stump roughly in the place where they thought the tree was so it looks as if it didn't survive, but you never know what could happen it was the magical lightning tree after all.
There is a Follyfoot Forum Here  they also have a facebook page and can be found on twitter @follyfootforum. I really didn't know it had saw a loyal following.

                              Down in the meadow where the wind blows free
                              In the middle of the field stands the lightning tree
                              It's limbs all torn from the day it was born
                              For the tree was born in a thunderstorm 

                              Grow, Grow, the lightning tree 
                              It's never too late for you and me
                              Grow, Grow, The lightning tree
                              Never give in too easily.

Dora and Steve




       
                                            

20 comments:

  1. I think there will be many who remember. I was 10-12 yrs old and just loved it!

    After the Forensic blogs Ive read today (which I also love) this one stood out and made me smile and sing.. (I hope no-one heard).
    I must read the books.
    Lynne
    Twitter: @lynneinPborough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn,you'll be singing it all day.

      Delete
  2. I love the symbolism of the tree. What a shame they had to hinder its regeneration! I do love a good "will they, won't they" storyline :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine.you know what it's like, anything for telly.

      Delete
  3. I remember the song but don't think I ever saw the series. Lovely story about the tree - I hope it survived.

    (Visiting from A-Z blogging challenge)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jabblog sadly I don't think it did. People spoke on forums about see a tree stump and think it was the lightning tree.

      Delete
  4. I remember that tune so well. I loved the symbolism of it but here's where the difference in our ages is highlighted. My eldest child was born in 1970 so I must have seen it a bit later when he was old enough to watch the tv.

    Isn't it sad that they cut off those new shoots. Can't you go and find out what happened to it? I think we all want to know now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are old! Ha ha! Joking! Well I found out Follyfoot has a forum and joining it was like trying to get into fort Knox. They have a twitter acc and Facebook page. They have trips to the farm and have saw an old tree stump which they think is in the right position to be the tree so in a way it's still there. It has a real cult following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you're saying is, it's dead. How sad. But a cult following might not have grown up around a farmhouse with a live lightening tree.

      Delete
    2. Well, yes,I suppose I am but I have a tree stump in garden and it's started to grow and the lightning tree has magical powers...lol

      Delete
  6. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge. Thanks for visiting my blog! What an interesting post today...I love watching some of the British shows we can get over here and my sister is a fanatic about watching them but I don't think eigher one of us ever saw that show...

    Good luck with the challenge!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting Donna. You missed a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh good grief. I remember having the most enormous argument with my friend Anita about Follyfoot. She was obsessed, obsessed I tells ye. I upset her hugely by insisting that Steve and Dora were actors and not interested in each other really.

    Wandering through on the A-Z challenge and now following.

    Amanda
    http://dramadiceanddamsons.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, your friend must have been really engrossed in the story. My hubby keeps telling me that the soaps I watch on tv are not real.lol!

      Delete
  9. Did you also follow the Poldark Saga?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember Poldark but not much about it.I remover watching it with my mum.

      Delete
  10. Yes, I remember that opening theme song. They knew how to write them in those days. Can't remember what followed it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your name! Can I just call you Gorilla? Yes the song has been in my head all day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't think I remembered this until i read further down into your blog and you mentioned the theme tune and saw the picutre!   Don't think I watched it constantly like you did but now I can't get the song out of my head! between that and imagine and any song you mention further on I'll be like a juke box in my head!    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol What you didn't remember Steve Hodson?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.