Thursday, 5 April 2012

E is for Elastics and Everyone's Nightmare

Growing up in the sixties we didn't have video games or computers to pass our time. Many our games were home made and all the more special because of it.
 We could usually be guaranteed good weather during our school holidays so we would be outside playing from early morning until bedtime. One of the most popular games for girls was Elastics or Chinese Ropes. A few of us would club our pennies together and buy a few packets of coloured elastic bands.
How excited we would be holding those tiny packets of bands and knowing what fun awaited us. We secured them all together into a large loop and the game would begin.
It really needed three people to play two with the elastic ropes around their legs and one jumping.
Sometimes play at home by myself with the bands round chair legs, which worked quite well until the chairs toppled over and bruised my legs.

Here are some girls from New Zealand showing you how it is done.Although they are a bit older than I was when I played with elastics.



In 1973 I made a big mistake. A new film was being shown in cinemas and I wanted to see it, well everyone else was and I didn't want to be the odd one out. I have no recollection of going to the cinema or who I went with but it must have been my friend Louise as we did everything together. I was so traumatised I slept in my mum's bed for a week. Every time I closed my eyes I re- ran the film in my mind. After I was married my husband brought the video of the film home to watch, I could not watch it and said I didn't want him even to keep the video in the house. Newspaper reports and the time told us that teenagers up and down the country were fainting with fright and even being physically sick while watching this film.
The film was, The Exorcist. The story of a young girl Regan possessed by the devil. The priest Karras who helps her came to a sticky end. She eventually becomes grotesque she becomes violent, shouts obscenities and her head turns 360degs, oh, it was awful.
 One of my most scariest parts was when the priest runs a tape recording of Regan shouting in what he thinks is a different language. He runs the tape backwards and she speaks in English saying something like,"I am the devil" I don't remember the exact words but just as that happens the phone rings and your heart jumps out of your body.
I am sorry I have no photo for this as I can't contemplate putting one on my blog.I am feeling a bit traumatised writing and thinking about it again.
I'm sure today's youth would laugh at the film as the ones out today are probably far more scary, I wouldn't know as it put me off horror films for life.
My advice to you is .If you haven't saw the film then save yourself sleepless nights and DON'T WATCH IT!!

24 comments:

  1. I used to play that elastics game! Kids have no imagination these days, drives me crazy!

    I've seen that film, and the modern one 'the exorcism of Emily rose'

    I didn't think they were that bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must be very brave! then again I was only fifteen and it was my first horror.

      Delete
  2. I thought the movie may have been "The exorcist", and it was pretty scare to me too. I don't like horror movies, for the most, the images remain in my head for a day or two... ugh!

    Elastics and other outdoor games were wonderful. Today, it seems that kids can't get away from their electronic games... The world has changed so much (I'm talking like my grandma!)

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I sleep tonight. My mum used to tell me that we didn't play the way she did and then I said it to my kids!

      Delete
  3. It's funny how you say that it never rained during our school summer holidays. It must have done some of the time but I only remember the days spend out in the street as well. We used to play traditional skipping more. Someone would bring an old washing line and we'd stretch it right across the road. Good times.

    No I've never seen the Exorcist and I have no plans to do so. I think you'd better go get yourself a nice strong cup of coffee now and forget all about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We played with ropes too I wish I could do it today but I would do myself an injury. Don't watch the film you have been warned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright for some - my holidays seemed to be filled with rain or snow...until i hit my teens anyway.

    I never played the elastic game - looks like fun :)

    As for the Exorcist...i'm probably desensitised.

    Enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks,I can't believe you never played elastics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG !! Elastics !! I used to play that as a kid and all through school - it was so much fun ! Ankles, Knees & Mid Thigh - and go through slightly wide, narrow & wide right ??

    I absolutely love watching horror movies. My mom didn't want us to watch Exorcist when we were kids, but when I was 8 or 9 I watched the movie. It's still one of my faves till date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's the way we played it too. I can't believe you watched that movie when you were so young,I bet your parents didn't know.

      Delete
  8. Woohoo, Anne. I played these games! Such fun we had. I was showing my daughter a while ago. I wish I had taken photos then. I know it was the 80s, but still a camera was a rare thing in rural Mongolia. My dad took my photos mostly only on my birthdays, posing in front of big posters holding fake flowers. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made them for my daughter and her friends too. When I was young my family didn't take many photos usually just if we went on holiday which wasn't very often and all in black and white, no colour.

      Delete
  9. Ah... Too bad these days we aren't forced to use our imagination as screen sources suck away our brain power. I played elastic when I was a little girl! It was taught to us at school and I was in the late 80s as well. Fun, fun!


    Elizabeth

    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elastics would probably be against health and safety rules these day.

      Delete
  10. I have seen girls play with that elastic stuff and I have also seen them fall, all the while giggling and carrying on.

    The Exorcist? Wow, that was a scary film! I saw it. My mother told me one of her neighbors had a heart attack while watching it. Frankly, I believe it is in the top 5 of the scariest films of all time. The sequels? Not so much, lame in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some boys tried to play too but they didn't have the coordination . I can believe someone had a heart attack. I couldn't sleep last night after writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elastics were great and not surprising how fit we were doing that all of the time. I woo was much younger than the ones in the vid I'm sure.

    I think film has changed so much in quality that no-one now could probably understand what it was like when *that film* was made. My sister made me promise never to see it which I did and I've kept my promise all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you must be very brave ,I was only fifteen and it was my first horror film.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes thats the way we played it too,I can't believe you waatched that when you were so young.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boys used to play with them too but they weren't very good.I can believe someone had a heart attack'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes I think they're a bit old. I don't think it would be so scaary now,probably funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Elizabeth I taught my daughter how to play them in the 80's too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes it was great fun. Not many photos were taken when I was young ,too expensive to pay for developing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Doris,that film put me off scary movies for life.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.