Wednesday, 4 April 2012

D is for Two Davids and a Donny.

Being a teenager in the early seventies meant that my bedroom walls were adorned with my three D's.
David Cassidy, David Essex and Donny Osmond, although I had to keep Donny a bit of a secret as it wasn't quite "cool" to like him as he was younger than I was.

David Cassidy first came to our televisions starring on the American programme The Partridge Family, and once he started singing we all fell madly in love with him. I Think I love You, Could It Be Forever, How Can I be Sure? I would play them over and over and still know every word to all his songs.

David Essex was cool. He starred in the film That'll Be The Day as a struggling rock star. He had nineteen top forty singles and two number one hits in the UK. Hold Me Close,Starlight, Rock On and Oh What A Circus are just a few. David recently joined the cast of the soap Eastenders and showed he still has his cheeky smile.

Donny Osmond was of course one of the Osmond Brothers, the clean cut Mormon group who never drank alcohol or smoked when all the rock groups around them were smashing up hotel bedrooms. Donny eventually recorded lots of solo hits as he was the one the girls adored.  Who could forget, Puppy Love, Too Young and The Twelfth Of Never. Donny is the same age as me but is better preserved.

A footnote is although I never got to see any of my idols in concert when I had their posters on my wall, I did see two of them as few years ago. David Cassidy and David Essex joined with The Osmonds (without Donny) To perfom a "Once in a Liftime" concert tour and my daughter and I went to see them.
It was like a dream come true to watch my pin ups live on stage and a night I will never forget.

Indulge yourself in David Cassidy singing,"Could it Be Forever" there is a part near the end when he says"but" my friend Loiuse and I used to move the needle of the record player back over it so he repeated in again and again and we swooned and swooned ! Oh sorry I'm getting carried away!!

16 comments:

  1. I loved The Partridge Family TV prog too but David Cassidy was a bit too young for me. I think David Essex has got more attractive with age and I'm glad to hear you've seen them both live. Did you scream like when we were kids? I was never much of a Donny Osmond fan and I can't help wondering that Donny isn't actually a David... or am I missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Thanks Rosalind I don't know why I didn't notice that,I've changed it now. David Cassidy has not kept his good looks which is a shame. Yes I did scream a bit, my daughter asked me why she knew the words to all the songs, they were what I sang her to sleep with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, I love it. I was reading when it titled Three Davids. Anyway, it's fun just like the others. I love reading your posts, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know,I need an editor!! You have probably never heard of them,hope you listened to the song! lol!!

      Delete
  4. Visiting from AtoZ - I enjoyed this little blast from the past. I never missed The Donny and Marie Show or Partridge Family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy I never missed them either.

      Delete
  5. I laughed out loud at "he's the same age as me, but better preserved".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I cannot tell a lie,he is!

      Delete
  6. I can just imagine how excited you must have been when you went for the concert with your daughter ! How cute !!

    So I've heard of the Partridge Family (but don't know the show at all) and of Donny Osmond (but I didn't know much until I read this post)

    This song by David Cassidy is lovely ! First time hearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks I'm happy you liked it.

      Delete
  7. Loved David, but was a true stalker (before stalking was cool) of his half brother Shawn. Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Shaun made it in the UK I only heard of him when I was searching internet for photos of David.

      Delete
  8. so funny!! I definitely agree with those D heart throbs....actually fun for me to think about!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    great D challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and reading Momto8.

      Delete
  9. I recently finished reading the book "I Think I Love You" by Allison Pearson, all about one young girl's love for David Cassidy, and this post was a perfect follow-up - fun! I was on the Shaun Cassidy bandwagon for a while, being a child of the 70s.

    Happy A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I must check that book out. Thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.