Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Lottery Win!

No I haven't won the lottery, but I made you look, didn't I?
 My husband and I have this conversation once in a while, "What would we do if we won a million on the lottery?" We have fun deciding.
It has taught me one thing which is, at my age I still don't know what I like or dislike. We talk about what kind of house would we buy? I like the thought of living in an old  style house in the country with big inglenook fireplaces and oak beams and lots of land. I would hire a gardener because although I love nicely kept gardens, I really haven't a clue how to get them that way. A chef would be hired to prepare healthy appetising meals to help me loose weight and perhaps a personal trainer.
 I also like modern homes in a city. It would have  the technology to switch on music, TV, curtains opening and closing all at the touch of a button. Huge rooms with ultra modern furniture. I wouldn't need a chef as we would be eating out in  restaurants. I have decided  I don't have to choose,I will have both. My country house will be in Scotland and my ultra modern one will be in London or perhaps Barcelona.

Ettrickshaws in the Scottish Borders and it's for sale!

I can't understand why I like two completely different types of houses. I watch those programmes about buying house in the country or abroad and the buyers have such definite ideas of what they like and dislike. I shout at the TV for them to buy it and not be so fussy. Some are put off a house because of the colour of wallpaper or the wrong type of oven.  Maybe if I did have a million I would be more fussy, after all there would be so much more choice.

Where would we go on holiday? I enjoy small and friendly hotels and I enjoy large slightly more upmarket fully inclusive hotels,I couldn't really say which I enjoy most. This year we are spending one week in a very rural place in Turkey and another in a small village, would I do that if I had a million in the bank? Probably not. I would go somewhere quite exotic and live in luxury but would I enjoy it more than our usual haunts? Well there's only one way to find out.

Caribbean beach



After I've listed all I want to do with my imaginary windfall, share it with our children, set up a trust for future grandchildren, give some to close friends, some to charity, buy an old country house and a deluxe town house, go on an exotic holiday, buy a car etc  I think we'll need a few more millions to pay for it all.
The one decision  my husband and I agree on is that there will be no publicity. We won't buy a flashy car until we've moved away and as some of the neighbours here find it hard to say hello we won't be telling them we're moving. I don't understand those people who have their faces splashed all over the newspapers, why would you do that?
 So readers if I win the lottery I will never tell you. I will carry on blogging as usual just from a more luxurious location whether it be my country house or town house.
In fact I may already be there and have won those millions, now that would be a great double bluff!

A few weeks ago I asked ,"What would you not buy if you had a million pounds?"
 This week I'd like to know.....
Have you planned what you would do if you won millions of  pounds or dollars? What would you buy?  Would you go public about it?

14 comments:

  1. You could have a modern place in London AND Barcelona :) No I wouldn't want publicity either - though how I'd keep it quiet in this small community, I don't know. My plans would be very similar to yours and I would retire from teaching and write to my heart's content. Thanks for the opportunity to have this lovely dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea to have two places,I was trying not to be too greedy. I think it would be quite easy for me to keep it quiet. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a lovely thing to drift away sometimes and play this game. I love the escapism of it.
    As you, my OH and I rarely come up with exactly the same ideas. Though one of the things we do agree on is buying a boat and sailing away for a couple of years. Well, we can dream... especially as we so rarely play the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a good pastime and I knew you would buy a boat! My hubby would like one too.

      Delete
  4. I have, I admit, realistically sat down and worked out how I would go about spending a million pounds (I'm sad like that). I would keep it a massive secret, still work etc. I would give my folks half. Easy.

    With the rest I would buy a house. Maybe a fixer-upper, although I am quite lazy). It would probably be quite a small flat - bearing in mind I only have 500K left - but in a gorgeous area. etc.

    The rest (if there were any left) would go on trips abroad and dance classes etc. Fun past times ...

    Wow, I really would like the lottery now. Maybe I should buy a ticket ...

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start to count things up a million really doesn't go very far.Oh, if only...

      Delete
  5. I also fancy the idea of having one ultra modern minimalist home and another character-filled home.

    I wouldn't go public about a win though, but would share with family and a few friends.

    Wishful thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone has to win so you never know.

      Delete
  6. Hello ,
    You are number 588 on my blog hopping through the Eights journey. You can check out my post about it @ JennsScribbles. Just dropped by to say good luck on the A to Z Challenge!

    Great question! No one every asks what you wouldn't buy. I don't think I would go public and I wouldn't buy anything that had to do with me working it. Like a vacuum, mop, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn,nice of you to visit thanks for the good luck I'll have a look at your blog too.

      Delete
  7. Great minds think alike! Can I have your dream too - pretty much what I'd choose myself. The problem is I only buy a ticket once in a blue moon ha! ha! A friend of mine has a good Chef for hire - Chef McDuff, so keep that in mind when you do win (dream....).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm surprised at so many people thinking and reaming the same way. If Chef McDuff is from Reaching For The Stars by Janice Horton,I don't think I could handle him! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm new to your blog. I just posted about what I would do if I won the lottery as well :) since I don't buy tickets, it will never happen, but . . . it's always fun to dream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy thanks for visiting and following.I don't tickets very often either but still holding out for that one special ticket. I will pop over and read yours.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.