Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Not Even If I Had A Million.

"Even if I had a million pounds I wouldn't buy one." That's what my mum said to me nearly everyday. I was a deprived child, at least I thought I was and told everyone who would listen just how deprived I was.
W hat was it she wouldn't buy if she had a million? I hear you ask, what must these terrible things be?
  1. A dog
  2. A bike
  3. A Sindy Doll
  4. A pair of Dr Scholl exercise sandals
My heart ached for a dog of my own, but the argument was, we didn't have a garden and nowhere really to walk the dog. In the sixties most dogs round about us were not walked by their owners but the front door would be opened and off the dogs would trot out for the day and come back when they were hungry. My aunt's dog was one of those. She lived on a busy main road and Prince the black and white cross breed who was the most loving and gentle dog would visit every shop and be given a tit bit in each one before reaching the butchers where he would be given a juicy bone and return home with his spoils.
My mum  just couldn't cope with a dog as she looked after my invalid gran all day and my dad thought dogs should be walked and not allowed to roam the streets, he was right of course. To make it very clear I would NEVER have one she would say, "Even if I had a million pounds I wouldn't  buy one." I said I knew where I could get one for free, but even that didn't help.
As soon as I got married and had a flat the first thing I did was buy a dog, a Cocker Spaniel, (above)  but that's for another story.

I needed  a bike, but we lived across the road from a factory that made glass bottles. Everyday huge lorries would park in our street and the drivers would spend ages securing their load before leaving and that's why I didn't ever have a bike. My dad was so worried about the traffic in our street and told mum,
" On your head be it"  if anything happened to me. My friends all had bikes, I had a little green scooter, I went everywhere on that scooter,it became part of me but was no replacement for a bike. I cried and pleaded but to no avail . Even if mum had a million pounds the bike would stay in the shop. I didn't ride a bike until my thirties and by that time my children could ride better than me.

I lusted after a Sindy doll.  My mum could not understand why, after all I had dolls, large dolls, baby dolls, even a two feet high china doll dressed as a bride which I was supposed to love and hated.
I got the, "even if I had a million" speech but my dad saved the day with his cigarette coupons.
My parents were both smokers and each pack of cigarettes had coupons which, when enough were saved could be exchanged for gifts from a glossy brochure. I hated cigarettes, the smoke, the smell. the way it clung to my clothes but when my dad said I could choose something from the glossy brochure I though I had died and gone to heaven. As I flicked through the pages of the brochure I finnally found what I was looking for, Sindy, my Sindy waiting for me. I choose both her and an Air Hostess outfit with a little travel bag and hat. I think my dad knew all along what I would pick. The days went by so slowly waiting for the postman to bring Sindy to me. Mum was not pleased, she didn't understand why it would attract me. I already had a fake Sindy which I had saved my pocket money to buy, she wore the same red,white,and blue striped top and denims as the real one but was made of cheap plastic and her leg kept falling off.
After Sindy arrived I played with her constantly, made  her clothes, mum knitted for her, we made furniture from matchboxes and shoe boxes and eventually she realised that it had been a good buy.
 At Christmas my aunt bought me the most coveted of dolls, Barbie, I never thought I would ever be given her and I was in heaven once more.


I craved a pair of Dr Scholls sandals. These were wooden sandals with a bump in the wood under the toes for you to hold them on with just a leather strap across the top. The were quite expensive but the hype told us they were good for your feet and everyone had a pair except me.
 My mum didn't agree will the hype, she said they were a load of rubbish and if she had a mill.... you know the drill by now. Enter my fairy godmother, my aunt, who bought me a pair for my birthday, not the wooden ones I wanted but the leather ones as a bit of a compromise to my mum. I wore them all the time, as soon as I came home from school on they went and mum finally had to say they had been a good buy but she still didn't see what all the fuss was about.

As you can see I was not a deprived child and many years later my mum and I had a good laugh at all these things she refused to buy me and the fact that I had never been on a bike which is the only one she regrets as she played on a bike when she was young. Our street was just too busy.

If I had a million pounds I know I wouldn't buy jewellery or designer shoes or handbags costing thousands  I just couldn't spend that much money on things like that. What would you NOT buy if you had a million Pounds?

11 comments:

  1. As a mother, I completely agree with your mum's reasonings. So even if I had a million dollars I wouldn't buy my daughter a bicycle or roller skates if we lived on a busy street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! Of course I thought I was very deprived, too, and I wasn't. Recently I saw a jewelled mobile phone case in Harrods for £25,000 pounds. I don't care how rich I was, I'd NEVER buy something so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romance book Haven,thanks for your comments,looking back yes she was right but as a child I didn't see it that way I thought nothing would ever happen to me.

    Talli,I agree about the phone case how ridiculous to pay that amount of money and yet someone probably has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, just stumbled onto your blog and am a new follower:)

    This is suc a great post ... it is amazing how when we are young, to be denied certain things sticks with us forever. I always wanted a Barbie picnic set - with the basket and blanket and miniature fruit and glasses etc. I never got one and, to this day, whenever I think about it, I get a little upset.

    But, like you I was by no means deprived ... our poor folks. They have/had such a hard time!

    If I had a million pounds, I don't think I could ever justify spending money on designer clothes etc. Or furniture. 10 000 for a foot stool? I think not!

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unpublished Life.Thanks you for following and for taking time to read.Yes I remember all the various extras that you could buy for Barbie and Sindy,I didn't get them either they were too expensive had to make my own.While searching for a Sindy photo on internet I found a photo of a sking outfit I had and it nearly brought tears to my eyes,I was taken right back to my childhood.

      Delete
  5. Well, we've done it again!! I was never allowed to have a bike either. I still can't ride one and, guess what! I had a scooter instead. It was a red one and I went everywhere on it... even after the time that I scooted over a brick, fell off and skinned my knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that strange Rosalind ,I've never spoke to anyone else who never had a bike as a child. Yes I fell over the odd brick too.

      Delete
  6. This is such a brilliant post. I was never in to dolls, but my sister had a Sindy collection, so that made me smile about your dad letting you choose from the catalogue... so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. I loved my dolls and can't wait to buy one for my grandaughter.

      Delete
  7. I love this post. It seems I wasn't deprived at all. :)

    I drove my parents insane with my pleas for a puppy. Drama queen that I was, I couldn't imagine being able to live without one. Eventually, they had to give in. My first dog was a golden cocker spaniel - just like yours - and I loved him more than life itself. I've never been without a dog since.

    If I even think about Dr Scholls sandals my feet hurt. I had a pair and they made my feet bleed every time I wore them. :)

    If I had a million pounds, I wouldn't buy lots of designer shoes or jewellery either. I might be tempted by expensive handbags though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved my sandals! my cocker Spanial was a real handful but I loved him,we had to part with him when he tried to bite my son when he was about a year old ,it broke my heart.He went to a guy who lived beside a beach.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.