Saturday, 31 December 2011

Turning The Page.


A new page is turned, a new year has begun. All that took place in 2011 now happened last year. Did we become the people we promised ourselves we would be or did life put obstacles in our way to prevent us?
What will we do with our new page? Will we make mistakes? Say the wrong thing? Listen to rumour? Be quick to judge?
We are all capable of those lapses, but strive to make good the resolutions  made at the start of the year.
We will try to be better versions of ourselves, softer and more affable. As we resolve  to make this the best year ever, will we have more patience? Make more time for ourselves? Be healthier and fitter? Whatever we resolve to do it will be with our best intentions, maybe this is the year we will keep them.

My  2011
In my family during the year we experienced a death and a birth, we grieved for the life which had just ended and rejoiced in the birth and welcomed our new granddaughter into our family, the full circle of life.
I tried and failed to loose weight, go to the gym, or eat healthier.
I joined Twitter and tweeted with lots of interesting people. I started this blog which, if you had told me this time last year that I would be writing I would have laughed.
Through this blog I have spoken with people from all parts of the world from New Zealand to Minnesota and read their blogs too. Yes, I have made lovely friends through my writing, one of them is probably you.
After nearly two years I finished working for a local charity which helps young families but I am now friends for life with the family I was matched with.
I began looking after a friend's gorgeous little boy to help her work and he has brought such fun and happiness into our lives.
My husband and I holidayed in what has became our second home, Turkey.
My daughter left home, again, for the last time. I really with have to take out that revolving door!

In Scotland we celebrate Hogmany or New Years Eve. When I was younger the house was cleaned from top to bottom, all beds had new sheets. no washing left in the sink or dirty clothes in the wash basket. Everything had to be sparkly and clean for Hogmany. My parents and aunts and uncles were all waiting to hear  the New Year bells and us children were allowed to stay up late. The table was set and we all sat down at about 10pm to a huge steak pie dinner. After midnight everyone had to sing or do a party piece, mine was saying poetry, I bet they just loved me!
 Parties were going on in every house in our street. Neighbours would visit and take their bottle of whisky from house to house having a wee dram in each one to celebrate the New Year.
It is tradition to have a "first foot" the first person to cross your threshold in the New Year, preferably a tall dark and handsome man carrying a piece of coal, bottle of whiskey and some shortbread or cake, if you have that, you'll never be cold, hungry or thirsty in the coming year, and the handsome guy? Well everyone needs someone nice to look at, it must have been a woman who made that one up.
My uncle came every year from Northern Ireland to visit my gran who lived with us and he was always our first foot. I don't know where he went between getting off the boat and arriving at our door at midnight but as the bells were ringing in the New Year he was ringing our doorbell.
In later years after my gran passed he still came but usually the day before Hogmany but just before the bells chimed mum would push him outside with the obligatory bottle, coal and cake to stand in the cold until the New Year arrived. He never minded.
Times have changed now and we don't have a large extended family and our children don't seem to celebrate. My husband and I will stay up and welcome the New year with a glass in hand, reminisce a bit and then go to bed, no riotous parties for us, but I still insist on a tall dark and handsome first foot.
I hope to approach my New Year with, enthusiasm, humour and gratefulness and as we stare at our new page let it be filled with whatever makes your heart sing  and as the page is turned may it reveal the best year you've ever had, and with a happy ending.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

11 comments:

  1. Hello Anne,
    I enjoyed getting lost in your explanation of Hogmany. What a lovely tradition. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great tradition. Your uncle is a great sport, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anita for visiting again,I hope this will be a good year for you.
    Hi Jillian, is lovely to see a new reader on my blog thanks for visiting and for your kind comments.I'm going to have a look at your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne,
    I was thinking of your recently, and hoped you were having a lovely New Years. Hubby and I celebrated it at home, no family as we have no kids, but it was nice and quiet standing on our upstairs deck watching the fireworks around us. Loved your Uncle he sounds like a real "sport". Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane,Sounds wonderful watching the fireworks from your deck.I hope 2012 brings you success in your life and your writing.And yes,my uncle was a great sport and a lovely man his photo is on my post "Flora's Story"

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely traditions. My son was the first over the threshold this morning when he came home from a house party with friends. He didn't bring coal or whisky though.

    You sound as if you've had a busy year. I hope 2012 is all that you hope it to be.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping by my blog - I'm returning the favour. My mother is Cornish and when I was a child we did the first foot at New Year; usually it was my brother as he would be out at the pub. Mum would leave the coal outside the front door by the milk bottles for him to bring in.

    It is so true that people just don't seem to celebrate any more; its such a shame because celebrations add a bit of colour and light to life's journey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had a rollercoaster of a year too so let's both hope for a year of more positivity. We've never had any rituals for New Year in our house but we always stay up to watch it in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debs,I'm sure your son being first will bring you good luck with or without the coal.

    Shirl, thanks for stopping by, it's always nice to read a new blog. I like your mum leaving the coal outside,I remember neighbours doing that they were so supersticious in those days.

    Rosalind,Yes lets have a positive and peaceful year.I've booked my summer holiday so I'm off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an introspective post! I enjoyed reading it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks France that's kind of you to say.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.