Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Fortune Tellers Never Lie!

When I was sixteen I visited a fortune teller on the Central pier in Blackpool. It was my first holiday without my parents. I was with Louise who was my best friend from school.
One of the predictions the fortune teller told me and the most important was that I would meet my future husband in Blackpool and the next time I visited  would be with him.

How we laughed at that one as at that age neither of us had a steady boyfriend and the thought of meeting someone in the near future who would become my husband just didn't seem possible, but a holiday romance, now that sounded very romantic.


Looking back I can't imagine why my mum allowed me to go on holiday with my friend at that age.
Louise had family living in Blackpool and I probably said they would keep an eye on us ( my mum believed everything I said then) . Louise's aunt booked a bedsit for us for two weeks.
I don't know why we didn't go to a hotel perhaps it was too expensive or maybe we wanted to be independant and pretend it was our permanent residence (we were only sixteen).
By the second week we had ran out of money for food and Louise's aunt must have been fed up making our dinner and when the guy who owned the bedsits asked us if we wanted to work in his cafe for some cash,  that's what we did.

Louise on the left and me outside our bedsit.
It was a working man's cafe and not very pretty, I was quite shy then (still am) so I stayed in the kitchen washing up and making tea and Louise was front of house as she had the gift of the gab, and was a bit flirty  (yes you were Louise) . It meant that we made  lots of tips as she told our hard luck story to anyone who would listen and between the tips and the cash for working we managed to  have a good time even though our  days were taken up serving bacon rolls and cups of tea. I don't think I ever told my mum that, could you imagine if it was your daughter?  But at least we were inventive.

The bed sit was very central which is the best thing I could say about it, I don't think it would have rated highly on Trip Advisor but being young we didn't have high expectations. One room with a cooker and sink and a  bed that folded up into the wall. We had to share a toilet and we didn't have a shower or bath we had to go to my friend's aunts house and the public baths for that.

 None of those things bothered us ,we were free from school and parents and could do whatever we liked,  even drink, so that's what we did. There was no problem being served in the bars in Blackpool, but we hadn't had alcohol before so we ordered what Louise's big sister drank which was cider and babycham.
We went to bars and clubs, danced ,worked and had a ball. One of the groups we bopped to was called Smokey they became quite famous and went on to have a couple of hits and faded away.

The best part of my holiday was that the fortune teller was correct. I did meet my future husband, actually the very night after having my fortune told and the next time I returned to Blackpool which was the following year was with him. It's a wonder my mum ever let me out of her sight again.
We met in Tiffany's Ballroom he was with two friends and  it was my friends turn to pick who we would dance with as you never get two good looking guys out together and someone has to end up with the not so good looking.
My husbands two friends asked us to dance and Louise had the good looking one (it was her turn, stay with me). I didn't really fancy mine but they asked as us to join them for a drink and when we returned to the table a third guy was there. I wondered  if he had a girlfriend and that's why he didn't dance. So, many questions later trying to find out (as I did fancy him) and he was thinking  I was a bit cheeky and nosey, I dumped his friend, we danced and the rest as they say is history.


That was thirty eight years ago (this is where you gasp and say surely not that long ago) and we have been married for thirty three years and have two lovely children and a gorgeous granddaughter.
The funny thing is my husband lived in the same city as I did and we went to the same dance hall and may even have danced with each other but had to go all the way to Blackpool to actually meet.

This is where I go all gushy so look away now if you can't take it.
He is my best friend, my rock, I have not been in the best of health during our marriage but he has supported me every time I have been unwell and in hospital, he looked after the children, cleaned the house and walked the dog and visited me every night. He has had to support  me financially too as I had to give up working as my health was suffering . Being with someone for so long who is so much a part of you means you don't often tell them how much they mean to you so I am taking the chance now to say, Jim, you mean the world to me and I love you loads! I'm so glad my mum allowed me to go to Blackpool.
P.S   Remember, we're proof that fortune tellers never lie !

Have you ever had your fortune told and it's came true? Or a holiday romance that's stood the test of time?
Do tell, I love a good gossip!
                                                 ANNE X

16 comments:

  1. Awwww. That's brought a tear to my eye.

    I'm amazed that your mother let you go to the Den of All Things Evil that is Blackpool at 16. I'm even more amazed that fortune tellers don't lie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous story and what a lovely husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shirley, Toni and Debs.
    Shirley, Ha Ha, I know but remember it was in the 70's the world was a nicer and safer place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad Jim finallys has his (long overdue) place on your blog. Awwwee, i love u to bits aswel Jim for looking after my Anna Banana. Always be happy cos we all know life's far too short xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! Your husband sounds great, too. I did have my fortune told once when I was expecting our first child. The fortune teller really didn't pinpoint anything in particular except for one thing. She told me that my mother would be there when my daughter was born and that I would see it in my daughter's hands. I know you read the story about my Mother, I did not include this part in the story. But, she was there! How the fortune teller knew that it would be a girl and that I would notice it in my daughter's hands is beyond me. But, that is how I new she was there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing story Maeve and how comforting to you at such a special time.Sometimes stories about fortune tellers or physcics are not told for fear of being mocked but I have a few more that I might tell sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had the courage to visit a fortune teller. I'd rather not know. Jim sounds wonderful. I'd like to think that you'd have met each other even if you hadn't been allowed to go to Blackpool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne - I know this might sound odd. I was looking for your email to send you a little information. My email is: frazier99@comcast(dot)net if you want to email me, I can reply back. Don't worry if you choose not to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maeve I've just e mailed you.
    Rosalind,yes that is a nice thought that we may have met anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another lovely post. So sweet. Your Jim sounds like my Ian, he's my rock and we met in a (kind of) blind date, of all things. We have been married now over 33yrs. Yes I have been to a fortune teller. Some things came true and some didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so gorgeous, it's brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rebecca, sorry I made you teary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww this is such a sweet story :) Jim sounds like a fabulous man! That must have been a riotous time in Blackpool alone at 16! Your fortune teller story gives me a new faith in them. I may book a visit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just noticed I never replied to your comment. Thank you and yes he is great but his head's getting a bit big after this post !

      Delete
  14. My name is Maria Smith ,From USA ,and I’m happily married with a lovely husband and three children.I had a very big problem with my husband few months ago,to the extent that he even packed his things away from our house. He left I and my kids for almost 5 months,and i tried all my possible best and effort to bring him back.I discussed it with a very good friend of mine,and he gave me an advice concerning a spell caster, that he is the only one that can handle my situations and problem,that he’s always ready and able to do anything related to spell casting and helping of the needy, Pls every every one i would like you all to contact him with his email address,which is as follows. dr.okpokospellhome@gmail.com I never believed in spell casting,but My friend convinced me and i had no choice than to follow my friend advice,because i never dreamed of loosing my lovely Husband. And i contacted him with his email address,and i discussed with him all my problems and worries and so surprisingly,he told me that I’ll get my husband back a day after. I didn't believed Him, until when i got home,the next day,my husband called me to inform me that he is coming back home…..So Amazing!! That’s how i got my back through spell casting and our relationship was stronger than ever. One of the price i was asked to pay was to tell it to the people around me that problems like this,can always be solved by Okpoko. So! my advice to you out there is to visit this same E-mail address,and tell him your problems too,if you are in any condition related to love issue or getting your ex back or and problem at all, pls Contact him and have a happy life. you can contact him via email (dr.okpokospellhome@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave a comment, it would make me smile.If you leave one I will always reply to you.